2000 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:
Brake Trouble?
By scattytarheel on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've gone through 2 sets of disk brakes due to poor design of brake components by Toyota - or some other unknown reason. My Tundra was repaired at 29,000, but the service department had received a "bulletin" that this problem (vibration in steering wheel during braking) would possibly occur. My previous truck was a different make, but I was able to drive 98k miles on the original manufacture's brakes.

Built to last
By Baranowski on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The Tundra is a smooth riding truck. It has handled heavy loads without any problems. The six disc CD stereo is a pleasure to listen to. It handles great in bad weather.

Good truck, except for the year 2000
By mostsleek on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck used with 25000 miles. I knew about the brake problems and had my rotors turned at 35000 miles. They are already starting to go with only 40000. The brakes will only last about 5000-7500 miles. Then at 40000 miles the fuel pump went. I had to fight with toyota to get the repair and tow paid for. Eventually they paided, however, the engine light came on 1 day after the repair, and I noticed that a bolt was mising from the cab.Once again i fought with toyota to fix the repair that they said that I did. The truck is great, the first year, 2000, models have alot of problems. 31 TSB and 2 recalls.

Brake/vibration/O2 sensor problems
By tundrarules on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

**Brake vibrations **Frame vibrations **O2 sensor bad **Cracked manifold Had problems with brake vibration. Have been to the dealer 3 times with the brakes. After the last time at the dealer the problem seems to be fixed. The truck has always had a small vibration problem. Even after tires changed. Had a ticking noise when the truck was first started. That turned out to be a cracked manifold. Just got a check engine light. The dealer says it is an O2 sensor. They wanted $270.00 to replace it!!!! I am not falling for that one. Got a sensor for $50 @ sparkplugs.com.

Tundra Review
By kbjmills on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Very reliable, stable vechicle with excellent towing capacity and vision. Mecahnically I have had no problems and the vechicle is still tight.

2000 Toyota Tundra
By hovisimo on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V6 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This truck has been a disappointment. Toyota quality is all but absent. Granted it is the first model year, but it has far too many shortcomings. Overall quality is poor. The interior has squeaked and rattled since it was new. The suspension squeaks, chirps, and rattles. Teeth break off the spider gears in the rear end. Axle seals blow for no apparent reason. The transmission shifts hard into 3rd gear. Fuel milage and crusing range is unimpressive, After 4 years, toyota has still not solved the brake problem. The 4wd system is failure-prone. I cannot recommend this truck.

Great Truck
By chief123 on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned pickups from age 16 on. This one by far is the best I've owned. It rides like a car, but you can load it down with 2000 lbs. It has enough power, even when loaded, you do not know that you are hauling weight. It has a strong 4-wheel capacity to pull through mud, snow, ant the trail; again while driving like a car. I strongly recommend this vehicle for work, commute, play, or as a safe vehicle for the young driver. If you purchase one, you'll enjoy it! Also, it's a Toyota, reliability is never in question.

My Toy
By tuff truck on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had my tundra for about two and a half years and absolutely love the way it performs and handles.the only problem that I'v had is when i put new tires on,i aquired a shake in the front end.I than put on another new set but a different brand and the shake was still there.My service debt. could not find any problems with in and within 2500 miles the shake was gone.Other than that it is a great truck and has served my well.

Did not meet expectations
By Poor Richard on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

After $2k worth of brake work under warranty they are again going bad. The transmission shifts with a jerk and the dealer won't do anything about it. The techs at dealer are not qualified to fix reoccuring problems like the brakes. I would not buy this truck next time.

Vibration, bad brakes, cracked manifolds
By Redbeard on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have 47,000 miles on the truck. It has had two front brake jobs, two cracked exhaust manifolds ($1800.00!), it vibrates at highway speeds, the paint is poor quality. I would strongly recommend a different truck. I can't wait to get rid of this one.