Used 2000 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Stay Away, Bad Brakes
By TundraBummer

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V6 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

After about 6000 miles the truck started shaking when I stopped. I took it back to the dealer who did a complete brakes job. It drove great for about another 8000 miles then started shaking again. In total, I have had 3 new rotors, 2 new drums, 2 new front calipers, including the last time when they installed the updated brakes, just before the warranty ran out. now it still shakes when I stop. The dealer tells me there is nothing htey can do, since it has all the latest updates for the brakes. Also, the exhaust manifold leaked, and the check engine light has been on 4 seperate time for various emission problems that have totaled over $900.

Favorite Features

Body Styling Front seat comfort

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, Brakes Brakes. If you buy the truck, expect to have the brakes done every 5000 miles or endure the shaking each time you stop.

Great Truck if you don't plan on pulling.
By shackmaster

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had Toyota before and this is no different. Great quality, good ride, etc. BUT, the trailer pulling capacity is by no means what the manufacturer says which is 7000lb. Pulling a 6000 lb trailer with OD off will cause the tranny to work some serious overtime. Suggest don't pull anything more than 5000 lb MAX and thats with a small set of tires and preferrable 2wd. Other than that it's a great truck.

Favorite Features

Handling and ride - You'd think you were in a camry.

Suggested Improvements

The need to come out with a HD version of this truck that can compete with the GM and Ford vehicles.

One excellent piece of a truck
By chirravu

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

This is also an update to our 2000 Tundra SR5 V8 4x2. Just finished 150K mark on this. Some time ago performed spark-plug tune-up - bingo, this truck runs new like the first day I bought this Big Dawg in 99. Change oil every 5K and this Toyota keeps going 4eva! To date, this truck doesn't rattle, squeak, squeal, or rust. Recently put a another set of Michelin LTX. I do get about 17-18 MPG on mostly highway drive. I have used it to tow just about anything you can imagine (within ratings limits), impressive passing power even with full-load. At times don't even realize we have 5000+ pound trailer attached, power fools ya!

Favorite Features

Power, reliability, towing and confort. To date, it drives just brand- new with absolute minimalist maintenance

Suggested Improvements

O2 sensors, seems Toyotas have fixed this problem in later year models

Outstanding
By Parrothead

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased my Tundra new in September of 2000. Since then I have put 140,000 on it. Other then normal maintenance (oil changes, wiper blades, brakes) I have had only one expense which was an oxygen sensor. Replaced OEM tires with the BFG AT/KO's..love them. Definitely would buy again!

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

Extended cab back seat isn't comfortable for more then a 20 minute ride for an adult...

Love it
By keith bremner

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love the way it drives and the quality of it is top notch. Never had a problem with it. Would buy again.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats. Good radio. Easy use of four wheel drive. Nice to look at. Good road feel.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger bed. Three quarter ton or full ton would be nice. Moon roof.