I wanted to like this Rav4 2013
By chungdu on
2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I owned a 2006 Rav4 (V6, 4-Wheel) and put 135K miles on it before purchasing my new I-4 Rav4 2013. It’s been a love-hate relationship with the new. I loved the old one. I have 3,500 miles on the 2013, which I purchased on 5/21. Today is 7/24/13. I bought the all-wheel drive and have been getting 28 mph, doing mostly highway/thruway driving. I tend to use ECO for long hauls on interstates, Sport for short bursts up hills, and the regular setting for other times. What I dislike is the odd placement of the ECO and Sport buttons, which must be activated way under the radio and NAV system. It’s hidden, inconvenient, and dangerous. The black bumpers streak terribly when washed.
Favorite Features
There are nice, new features: gone is the awkward side-opening rear door on the old model. The new model also has sound handling, especially around mountain turns. What I don’t like, however, is that it rides a bit lower. I will see how that measures up to the snow in upstate New York this winter. My regular driving is on Long Island. The satellite radio cuts out when going around the mountains, but it’s still nice to have when I used to have no radio. I prefer radio for music and to get mountain weather updates. Placement of radio and other controls are excellent. The I-4 is surprisingly quick, perhaps because of the extra gear that the 2013 has.
Suggested Improvements
Toyota has gone to some lengths in this economy vehicle to create various colors and textures within the interior space. But the black dash I have often reflects sunlight against the windshield, creating an annoying and dangerous glare. The rattles. This is the tenth vehicle I have ever owned, and the third Toyota. I have never had rattles and squeaks like the ones coming from the rear of this Toyota Rav4 2013. I have tried everything: removing the temporary spare, placing towels between the Styrofoam bed the spare sits in, etc. My next move is to call the dealer. Bottom line: this is my last Toyota. I’ve owned three, but Toyota has changed their product too much.
By jbreach
on 09/09/13 15:01 PM (PDT)

Funny that you should mention "the rattles" and "the squeaks". I have them both and have been making me crazy. Next service date I plan on having them take apart the dashboard and insulate everything. Problem as it turns out is all the different materials assembled together. I never had that on any Toyota I ever owned previously Camry, Highlander or Rav4's.

By rosco804
on 03/07/14 12:37 PM (PST)

does anyone have an issue with the stereo's automatic level control jumping up? when I am in the vehicle and either sitting still with it running and the stereo on or I am driving at a very slow speed the auto volume control spikes high real quickly and then back to normal... doesn't do it all the time, just periodically...