2012 Toyota RAV4 Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Rav4 - Consumer Reviews

2012 RAV4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Sort Reviews by

If you want the V-6, buy now!
By frogee

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Currently have 7,000 miles on my RAV. I particularly appreciate the power and smoothness of the V-6. As one reviewer noted, the accelerator pedal is a bit sensitive, but you readily adjust to that. I consider fuel economy to be pretty good--23MPG in daily driving, 30 on the highway, at least if you're not trying to pass everybody on the road. I would think the V-6 would be a must for anyone towing or carrying heavy loads. And it's going away on the 2013 model. (Of course, there is always the Highlander, if you want something much bigger and more pricey.)

Favorite Features

V-6 engine Hidden storage under the wayback. This is where the spare resides on most vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

A more upscale look to the interior, especially since the Limited is the most expensive model. This has supposedly been remedied on the 2013 model.

Great Little SUV- Except Mileage
By diepie

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Okay, so it's quite early to give a full review on our new car, since we bought it new just a couple of weeks ago. I had done extensive online comparisons between the 3 of the contenders in this vehicle category: the Rav4, Honda CRV, and the Nissan Rogue. We test drove all 3, as well as a Jeep Patriot, and considered but didn't drive a Hyundai Tucson. Toyota won out on a number of counts, not the least of which was the fact that we have been Yota owners for a long time, and have had great success. Toyota was also offering some screaming incentives which tipped the scales. So far of course, so good, but the gas mileage to date has been a bit disappointing.

Favorite Features

The interior of the car is well appointed as expected with a Toyota even on this base model, well laid out display, and plenty of standard features that might be options in another brand. It's very comfortable (I don't get the lower marks for the seat comfort I've read in other reviews!) and I'm sure it will carry us on long road trips with few complaint in that respect.

Suggested Improvements

There is one thing about which I am actually disappointed thus far: we are struggling to achieve 23.8 miles to the gallon, in 75/25 hwy/city driving. I have heard that this somehow improves after a sufficient "break in" time, but since this is the only new auto we've ever bought, I don't know much about that (hoping it's true but doubtful!) As another reviewer expressed, this is disappointing, because it is one of the reasons I chose this vehicle over for instance, a Subaru. The only other "nit-picking" I'd do about this car is that the RPM and Speedometer display lighting is quite dim during daylight (it's fine after dark when you need it)

Teeth rattling ride
By pfw1

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2012 V6 4x4 sport a couple of months ago. I got the sport because of the lack of the tire on the tailgate. I guess I was not paying enough attention on the test drive. This is the most bouncy jouncy bumpy car I have ever driven. every tiny bump/crack in the pavement is transferred right to your kidneys. I'm not sure if it's because of the sport suspension or the 18" run flats. It is better on the freeway.The V6 is also a bit too powerful for this car, if such a thing can be possible. A tinny box like this should not be able to go so fast. the throttle is also super touchy which can be unpleasant if you are too heavy with your foot. The mileage is mediocre at 18 combined driving.

Favorite Features

The seats are fine and the cabin is extremely user friendly and functional. I can easily fit a 9' and 6'8'surfboard on top of each other slid down the passenger seat by only reclining the seat back. Costco capacity is excellent. It is also very easy to drive around town, once you adjust to the throttle and get used to the abominable suspension. Cups with lids only in this ride.

Suggested Improvements

The car could be good, if the ride was better and the milage more impressive. I think if I could do it again I'd look at the limited V4 for the same price. get heated leather seats and etune. Or just get a prius.

No Start Problem !
By animaladvocate

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a brand new - 3 weeks old 2012 Toyota RAV4 V6 4WD. It didn't start yesterday morning, it didn't start today at lunch. After reading all the directions and trying everything, it started on the 5th try. I contacted dealer and will be bringing it in tomorrow. Read another review that another customer was told to "live with it". I won't. This needs to be fixed or should be considered a lemon. Will update after my service appointment tomorrow !

Favorite Features

The looks of it.

Suggested Improvements

Make a dependable vehicle. I had a Honda for 12 years and never had any issue like this. I'd recommend a Honda over a Toyota - not a good sign to be having issues in the first 30 days of owning a brand new vehicle.

No start problem
By piko584189

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We paid close to 35,000 with all of the upgrades. Since the first week we owned this car it had an intermitent no start problem. Has been back to dealer 3or4 times. Today we were told it had something to do with steering lock--and we need to just live with it--now that we know what the problem is we know it will eventually start.. They sent a tech bulletin to toyota and maybe someday they will do something about it. This is an uncomfortable riding vehicle--will never buy a Toyota again.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Suspension stinks ride stinks no start problem gas mileage not great Should have stayed with Suzuki

I traded my Saturn for this?
By lgreeny

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the car for a week. It's the most uncomfortable vehicle ever and I'm regretting the purchase. I traded my 2008 Saturn Astra for it. I needed something bigger with 4 wheel drive.

Favorite Features

I like the storage, AWD, the adjustable rear seats and the MP3 jack.

Suggested Improvements

Please fix the headrests. I can't even put my hair up and drive comfortably.

Love everything! (Except the gas mileage ...)
By vogongirl

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I mean it - the MPG is the fly in the otherwise stellar ointment here. I drive conservatively but with a mix that's heavy on hwy miles vs. city, I'm straining to get to 23 average. As the MPG rating was what initially drew me to the RAV4, I'm disappointed, but I still love to get into it each day and drive. It practically drives itself, feels like a car, and doesn't lack power with the 4-cylinder. You'll want to go with the air deflector if you get a sunroof; I regret it and will be looking into after-market, since there's a lot of wind noise.

Favorite Features

Easy to find semi-custom seat covers that fit well; handling is superb; 4-wheel drive works great in mountains; USB/MP3 jacks well-placed so cup holders can be used; good deal of storage below level in back; Toyota Care Plan.

Suggested Improvements

More adjustments for driver seat needed in base model; fuel economy needs help.

4x4 V6 Base
By randy432

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The V6 is as quick as my V6 Altima but without the drama. The 4x4 and traction control means I just point and go, no tire spinning. Mileage is so so, 16-20 in town depending on how hard you push it. At 80 on the highway 22MPG. At 60 26MPG. The seats are OK, nothing great. Noise level is OK, a little louder than my Altima. The base stereo does everything I need, I just load up a flash drive and set it to random play. I have had the car 4 months.

Favorite Features

V6 USB connection to the stereo. The back seat folds flat for lots of storage.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage was somewhat disappointing.

my toyota rav 4 sport 4x2 .
By john_ufo

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

i bought the car april 16 and its 3 and half months later. i waited to gather more info for my review. the car overall is good. it runs smooth on normall roads . but in pot holes and going over train tracks jesus christ i thought my teeth fillings were going to come out . the car is kinda slow even for a 4 cyclnder. they conned me into buying the rav 4 with no money down and my finance rate at 6.00 so they got my payments as high as $ 355.83 a month for 75 months. but i got smarter in my old age and refinanced the rav at 2.00 percent with a bank in new york. so now my payments are $ 305.25 a month .

Favorite Features

the sunroof , 18 inch rims , and step rails.

Suggested Improvements

a faster motor is needed and less punishing ride so my spine doesnt go through my head.

Rav4 4x4 Limited: the BEST QUALITY SUV 4 THE MONEY
By ncreviewer

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned at least 6 or 7 Toyotas. Land Cruiser, Camry, T100, 4Runner (3), Rav4s. The first Rav4 we bought was in late 2010: a Base Rav4 4x4 2011 model. We love it and still own it. We decided to trade in our Honda in on a 2012 Rav4 4x4 Limited. What a great vehicle! Comfort, power, all the 4x4 traction a business SUV could want. Sure, you're not going to pull stumps. But for an architect & real estate broker, it works great. We can take clients out to undeveloped lots in the winter and get back out again. The Rav4 4x4 Limited also has the way cool hands-free door entry system & 1-button exterior locking. Leather, power sunroof, bluetooth & more.

Favorite Features

Great quality, low price Reasonable mileage 27 Hwy, 20.2 in the mountains. Leather, sunroof, power driver seat with lumbar, nice radio/CD with fade and balance, lots of speakers, lots of storage space because the spare tire is outside. Reversible rear compartment surfaces to eliminate scratches and stains. Excellent suspension. Comfortable ride. 4x4: it'll get you out of 18" of snow in the mountains: our Base model even did that. Good looking SUV. Lots of storage space. I brought my mother's antique china cabinet back from Atlanta in the back with the seats folded down! Toyota is, for all intents and purposes a Lexus with slightly different badges. Badges? We don't need no.....

Suggested Improvements

Improve mileage even more. Although, for a full time 4x4 this ain't bad. A multi-disc CD in the Limited would have been nice, although I guess that is fast becoming an archaic medium. Nothing much else. A great SUV for a very reasonable price. Nothing else can touch it.