2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
If you want the V-6, buy now!
By frogee on 12/11/12 03:59 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Currently have 7,000 miles on my RAV. I particularly appreciate the power and smoothness of the V-6. As one reviewer noted, the accelerator pedal is a bit sensitive, but you readily adjust to that. I consider fuel economy to be pretty good--23MPG in daily driving, 30 on the highway, at least if you're not trying to pass everybody on the road. I would think the V-6 would be a must for anyone towing or carrying heavy loads. And it's going away on the 2013 model. (Of course, there is always the Highlander, if you want something much bigger and more pricey.)

Great Little SUV- Except Mileage
By diepie on 12/07/12 19:51 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Okay, so it's quite early to give a full review on our new car, since we bought it new just a couple of weeks ago. I had done extensive online comparisons between the 3 of the contenders in this vehicle category: the Rav4, Honda CRV, and the Nissan Rogue. We test drove all 3, as well as a Jeep Patriot, and considered but didn't drive a Hyundai Tucson. Toyota won out on a number of counts, not the least of which was the fact that we have been Yota owners for a long time, and have had great success. Toyota was also offering some screaming incentives which tipped the scales. So far of course, so good, but the gas mileage to date has been a bit disappointing.

Teeth rattling ride
By pfw1 on 12/03/12 19:52 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2012 V6 4x4 sport a couple of months ago. I got the sport because of the lack of the tire on the tailgate. I guess I was not paying enough attention on the test drive. This is the most bouncy jouncy bumpy car I have ever driven. every tiny bump/crack in the pavement is transferred right to your kidneys. I'm not sure if it's because of the sport suspension or the 18" run flats. It is better on the freeway.The V6 is also a bit too powerful for this car, if such a thing can be possible. A tinny box like this should not be able to go so fast. the throttle is also super touchy which can be unpleasant if you are too heavy with your foot. The mileage is mediocre at 18 combined driving.

No Start Problem !
By animaladvocate on 10/09/12 14:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a brand new - 3 weeks old 2012 Toyota RAV4 V6 4WD. It didn't start yesterday morning, it didn't start today at lunch. After reading all the directions and trying everything, it started on the 5th try. I contacted dealer and will be bringing it in tomorrow. Read another review that another customer was told to "live with it". I won't. This needs to be fixed or should be considered a lemon. Will update after my service appointment tomorrow !

No start problem
By piko584189 on 09/24/12 12:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We paid close to 35,000 with all of the upgrades. Since the first week we owned this car it had an intermitent no start problem. Has been back to dealer 3or4 times. Today we were told it had something to do with steering lock--and we need to just live with it--now that we know what the problem is we know it will eventually start.. They sent a tech bulletin to toyota and maybe someday they will do something about it. This is an uncomfortable riding vehicle--will never buy a Toyota again.

I traded my Saturn for this?
By lgreeny on 08/14/12 21:42 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the car for a week. It's the most uncomfortable vehicle ever and I'm regretting the purchase. I traded my 2008 Saturn Astra for it. I needed something bigger with 4 wheel drive.

Love everything! (Except the gas mileage ...)
By vogongirl on 08/13/12 18:41 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I mean it - the MPG is the fly in the otherwise stellar ointment here. I drive conservatively but with a mix that's heavy on hwy miles vs. city, I'm straining to get to 23 average. As the MPG rating was what initially drew me to the RAV4, I'm disappointed, but I still love to get into it each day and drive. It practically drives itself, feels like a car, and doesn't lack power with the 4-cylinder. You'll want to go with the air deflector if you get a sunroof; I regret it and will be looking into after-market, since there's a lot of wind noise.

4x4 V6 Base
By randy432 on 08/11/12 09:48 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The V6 is as quick as my V6 Altima but without the drama. The 4x4 and traction control means I just point and go, no tire spinning. Mileage is so so, 16-20 in town depending on how hard you push it. At 80 on the highway 22MPG. At 60 26MPG. The seats are OK, nothing great. Noise level is OK, a little louder than my Altima. The base stereo does everything I need, I just load up a flash drive and set it to random play. I have had the car 4 months.

my toyota rav 4 sport 4x2 .
By john_ufo on 07/30/12 15:08 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

i bought the car april 16 and its 3 and half months later. i waited to gather more info for my review. the car overall is good. it runs smooth on normall roads . but in pot holes and going over train tracks jesus christ i thought my teeth fillings were going to come out . the car is kinda slow even for a 4 cyclnder. they conned me into buying the rav 4 with no money down and my finance rate at 6.00 so they got my payments as high as $ 355.83 a month for 75 months. but i got smarter in my old age and refinanced the rav at 2.00 percent with a bank in new york. so now my payments are $ 305.25 a month .

Rav4 4x4 Limited: the BEST QUALITY SUV 4 THE MONEY
By ncreviewer on 07/29/12 19:00 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned at least 6 or 7 Toyotas. Land Cruiser, Camry, T100, 4Runner (3), Rav4s. The first Rav4 we bought was in late 2010: a Base Rav4 4x4 2011 model. We love it and still own it. We decided to trade in our Honda in on a 2012 Rav4 4x4 Limited. What a great vehicle! Comfort, power, all the 4x4 traction a business SUV could want. Sure, you're not going to pull stumps. But for an architect & real estate broker, it works great. We can take clients out to undeveloped lots in the winter and get back out again. The Rav4 4x4 Limited also has the way cool hands-free door entry system & 1-button exterior locking. Leather, power sunroof, bluetooth & more.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota RAV4 Suv in VA is:

$148 per month*