Used 2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

new rav4 owner
By jeff336

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just bought a 2008 limited model (25,000 miles) with the v6 and two wheel drive and can't be happier. The car is fast and smooth. The leather seats are very comfortable. We get about 23 mpg, which is better that the 4 cylinder Accord that we had before even though that car was rated at 12/31 and this Rav4 is rated at 19/27. We have the optional third-row seat, which is small, but great in a pinch when we have a couple more kids to take somewhere. People can't hear us well with the bluetooth cell-phone link, but it may just be the phone causing that issue, not sure yet.

Favorite Features

engine, ride, space, gas mileage, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is a little loud at 70mph but not bad. There is also a little transmission whine, but I guess it is common to rav4s and it is barely noticeable and doesn't mean anything is wrong. Maybe some more sound dampening would get rid of it.

issue with brake and gas pedal
By steve475

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The gas pedal and brake pedal are 3 inches apart, not enough space for a size 12 shoe, on two occasions I have had the engine RPM go to 3,000 when pushing the brake , if my foot is at an angle the gas pedal will be depressed too, the 269 HP engine over rides the brakes, the Smart stop technology only works under certain specific conditions, this is not one of them , have contacted Toyota with the suggestion that a new brake pedal be designed to have up to 5 inches between the pedals, their reply was this is a safe vehicle, have already found several people with 2007 and newer V-6 models that have had the same issue , all have size 10-12 shoes

Favorite Features

We enjoy the smart key, except it does not lock the doors , the heated seats are great during the cold weather, it handles and performs very well , the on demand 4 wheel button is a great improvement from our all wheel drive 2004 4 Runner that we owned since new

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brake pedal problem as stated in my review

Very poor mileage
By ledaebel

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a problem with poor gas mileage since I first bought the car. I am not happy having to get out of a warm car to put gas in the tank so frequently. I have brought this problem to the dealer, the service dept, the regioal rep, (BTY was very difficult to locate) and finally to phone "caseworker." The best mileage I got was 18.2 MG on the toll road. Now, in the middle of winter 14.2. Toyota says there is nothing wrong with the car. Their reasoning is that I must use bad gas, it's winter, it's a 6 cyl, the EPA ratings are done under ultimate conditions and I should not expect that yype of mileage I'm dumping this gas guzzler. I had better mileage with my2007 6cyl Camry.

Favorite Features

side opeining back hatch.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, a place to store purses Better rear vision.

Startup problems
By tsoupy

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm having problems where my new RAV4 V6 4x4 just won't start up. Eventually - it will start but Toyota doesn't seem to have any handle on this issue. I notices that a couple other reviewers have had the same problem. I'm not willing to live with this problem.

Poor gas mileage
By asamford

2012 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this 2012 Rav4 in october. I really regret the choice. should have tried to rent one first. Firstly this is totatlly a girls car. Not a real suv because it only holds 5 people and there's not much room for luggage inside. Gas Mileage sucks. Car downshifts/4000rpm on some overpasses and ALL small hills at 70-80 mph. Wind blows it all over the road. Steering is too tight and erratic. ride is rough and transmission shifts funny like it can't decide which gear to stay in at certain speeds. Cheap radio speakers, sounds really cheap. No room for mens legs knees hit on both sides while driving. Hate it, but thank God it's my wifes car.