Used 2007 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Best new car
By towerlane

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

2007 with Option 2, aftermarket leather seats installed by dealer. Car drives extremely well. Absolutely no problems. Acceleration more than adequate getting on Northern California freeways. Love the direct input to stereo system. Climate control very well done. Purchased aftermarket leather supplied by dealer - much better than Toyota leather and did not have to buy Option 6 to get leather. Bought the Prius for my commute (48 miles each way) but my wife commandeered it for her commute (20 miles each way heavy city driving). I have a 2001 Accord V-6 and plan to trade it in and buy my own Prius.

Favorite Features

Form, fit and function really excellent Very comfortable on long trips. Quiet in interior. Handles very well. Gas mileage is around 44mpg according to the trip computer. Get about 450 miles between fill ups city or highway regardless.

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable/tilt steering wheel as standard. Side and back vision could be improved. Bar in rear window makes rear driver vision difficult. Interior plastic could be improved - less chintzy. Better leather seats, but aftermarket seats really good. Be able to turn off the rear beeper.

Prius - Economical & Well Built
By StevenR

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Prius. It gets great gas mileage (43-51 mpg). It is roomy and comfortable for me at 5'11" tall. I would recommend the Prius to anyone who wants to drive economically. It's even fairly comfortable with my wife and two children with me. My only complaint would be that it doesn't handle as well as some other smaller cars that I've driven.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Sportier handling and more interior light driving at night.

The most enjoyable car I have ever owned
By Frank

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had no problems with this car, it drives great, and is quick when taking off from a stop, quicker than most cars because of its electric motor that provides a lot of torque when needed. It is a fun car to drive and has a great resale value. I enjoy driving and owning this car very much.

Favorite Features

Its great gas mileage. I love its quick response when accelerating and its easy to read gauges. I recommend this car because of it fuel mileage usually 53 to 57 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the fuel economy to 100 miles per gallon. Two engineers did it in California by using a Lithium-ion battery, reprograming the computer and the were charging the battery and they achieved 99.9 MPG city driving.

Best car on the planet!
By Marc

2007 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Terrific car, as everyone says. Writing this mostly to contest the editor's comment that on the highway, when the battery is not being charged, the gas engine is "anemic." This is not true - it drives great at highway speeds. The editor's comment reflects a common misunderstanding of how hybrids work. The main reason fuel efficiency is so good is NOT due to regenerative braking or charging the battery at low speeds. It's because normally engines are sized for acceleration, and that wastes lots of gas when traveling at constant speed, even at 70 mph. With the Prius, the small engine cruises fine at 70 mph, and saves you lots of gas. For acceleratation, the electric motor kicks in - brilliant!

Not A Bad Little Car
By Tenlee

2007 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As a 14yr SUV-veteran, I had to face the fact that it was not long for the road. I thought of going for another SUV but I figured gas would be going through the roof and I needed a more economical vehicle for the frequent short trips I was now making. It took a few months for me to adjust to the change in height and performance of the Prius but the tradeoff has been worth it. It has a surprisingly smooth ride on the highway and doesn't feel like it's going 70 mph. Pickup from a stop is decent, maneuverability is good, not crazy about the backup alert, passenger room is comfortable for 4 people. My trips to the gas station have been cut in half compared with the SUV guzzler.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage, about 45-50 mpg. Peppier pickup than my SUV. Smooth and quiet ride. So quiet, I had an offer for a jump when the engine was running on battery power - the guy thought I stalled out.

Suggested Improvements

Sounds like I'm driving a utility truck when I back up the Prius - would like an option to shut off the backup alert.