2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Great SUV, Terrible XM
By ToyotaMan on 11/26/08 12:59 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had this car for 6 months now. I'm averaging 27 mpg in mixed driving. I really love the way this car drives and looks. The 2nd row seats are very roomy and great design. The 3rd row that I thought I would never use, has saved the day on several occasions. I love every single thing about this car except for one. The XM radio receiver I had installed at my dealership came with a little surprise. Toyota engineers didn't think to make the radio display scroll information. It only displays 13 characters. So while I'm enjoying the wide range of music, I get to play a guessing game if the name of the band or song are more than 13 letters. Huge disappointment!

Nearly Perfect
By JShue on 09/29/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

There's nothing bad to say. I'm getting great gas mileage for an SUV, 24-32 mpg. You have to pay attention to your driving style to get it though, no fast accelerating, etc. It handles really well for you non-sports car drivers. It's easy to drive, fun and very comfortable. Tons of room, head and legs, unless you are 6-2 and try to fit in the third row, although that still was better than any small car backseat I've been stuffed in. The standard features with the base model are good enough although mine came with the popular plus package which came with more features than I would have asked for. This vehicle was simply better than anything else I researched and/or test drove.

Shocked
By pondscum on 09/28/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

Being an engineer I way underestimated this vehicle. The better half primarily drives it but I look forward to the rare opportunity to "steal" it. Our location uses ethanol in the fuels. We are now at around 10,000 miles and getting around 29 MPG (note using Mobil1 synthetic oil). I think it was a little lower when it was new. The hybrid system is seamless and a pleasure to drive. The seats and controls are well positioned thus comfortable to operate. Handles great and is comforting to know every time you hit the brakes a great deal of energy goes back into the batteries.

Love it
By highlandreview on 09/21/08 19:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought this car 1 week a go with only 7 miles on the odometer. I put 900 miles on it in one week (went on a road trip). I have averaged 26 mpg both in city and highway. I drove over a nail and a warning light showed me that I was losing psi in one of the tires. Without this feature I could have been stuck late at night on the road with 2 young kids. I stopped at the nearest gas station, filled up with air, and made it to my destination safely. I have a fully loaded limited hybrid and love it! The kids watched movies on the dual tv headrests while I listened to my iPod and called family via the voice activated blue tooth feature.

Toyota Highlander
By RICHARD12342 on 09/08/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

I just bought this vehicle because of a desire to do my part against OPEC and I needed a new one. The car started out with a mileage of 11.5 miles per gallon on the dash board computer. After approx 120 miles it is up to 22.5. So far I am disappointed because I am expecting to get the sticker mileage of 27 MPG. I was shocked and disappointed by the lack of luggage room when the fold away seats were unfolded. Folded there is plenty of room for stuff. I missed having my headlights turn on automatically when needed. I love the key less operation but because of the quietness I have gotten out of the car with the car still "running." roof needs protective strips to protect carrying baggage.

More Than Expected
By Freemarket2010 on 09/03/08 15:54 PM (PDT)

Picked this up last month. Got it at invoice since the car market is slow and 2009 models are coming. VERY impressed with the car. Drove every hybrid out there and thought the RX400h would be the one but there is really no comparison between the two. The RX is an older, noisier, less luxurious ride than the Highlander and, interestingly, very few people realize that. That may change in 2010 with the new RXh. This Highlander really excels in many areas. Mileage around town has been 26.5 mpg-better than we read here. It is very quiet and the intelligence of the interior layout is impressive. This is my wife's car and she's coming from a Lexus LS430 Ultra and she is more than satisfied.

Green SUV of the future
By SUV_PRO on 08/16/08 18:08 PM (PDT)

I'm an extremely experience & picky SUV driver, I've spent over 2 months test driving several SUVs in the market which includes BMW X5, BMW X6, Land Rover LR3, Mercedes M-Class, and Porsche Cayenne. Yes, they are nice and fast, but nothing blow me away like Highlander Hybrid, it amazed me by its unconventional and futuristic technology with Synergy drive, VDIM, and CVT. European/American SUVs in the market attract the buyer by putting a bigger engine, bigger disk brakes to achieve better speed and cornering, but none of them put as much work as Toyota on engineering such clean and environmentally friendly vehicle. I am getting 29 MPG with my Highlander Hybrid in mix city/highway.

We love our Highlander Hybrid
By nihonkara on 08/16/08 15:58 PM (PDT)

We were moving back to the US from Japan and wanted a Hybrid SUV. We are planning on a larger family than we have right now and needed the space. Also, since the gas prices had been going sky-high, we felt we needed the hybrid. We also did some simple math computation and realized that getting the hybrid for about $4K more that the non-hybrid, we could save about $3K in gas per year. (It pays for itself in 2 years!) Haven't had ANY trouble, it is perfect.

Like a Lexus
By Basuk on 08/02/08 14:06 PM (PDT)

Driven several BMW, Mercedes, and Land Rover SUVs Highlander Hybrid is far superior in terms of comfort, fuel economy and reliability. I have been driving my new HiHy for about a month and still wondering how it is putting together especially the transition from EV to ICE is seamless. Because of my office's location I have to drive approx 3 hours a day, and driving this vehicle is really effortless and smooth without worrying wasting gas in traffic jams. This car is innovative, it has leading edge technology, and the most important it is extremely reliable.

18 days and 2 tanks
By Initial Impressions on 07/19/08 21:18 PM (PDT)

I've had this vehicle for about 680 miles and two tanks at 23.5 and 25.5 mpg. Not bad coming from a V8 Grand Cherokee @ 13 mpg. Ride is comfortable but a bit soft according to my preferences. Body roll and motions are controlled but nevertheless a bit too active for my taste. Steering is light which is good in parking lots but overly sensitive on the highway. Hybrid system works well but requires much attention to use effectively and optimally. Overall, the vehicle is quiet and suits my family needs well albeit in an unexciting and uninspiring way. If not for the hybrid system and the need for a SUV, I would have looked elsewhere.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.