Used 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

'08 Highlander Hybrid Ltd. w/ Nav
By Bill of CA

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Coming out of a '00 Lexus RX300, I tend to compare the Highlander w/ that SUV. The driving position is not as comfortable as I can't rest my elbows on either armrests when I'm driving. The rest of the SUV is good for hauling my family of 5 around town. DVD system w/ wireless headsets is great b/c I can listen to my music while the kids watch their Cartoons. The Nav works OK, but sometimes it sends me in circles. The 2nd row configuration is what sold me on this SUV; it gets you close to what a minivan can do. It misses the minivan in cargo space aft the 3rd row-it's just enough for a folded Combi single stroller, but not much more. It makes up by getting better MPG than the minivan-at a cost.

Favorite Features

2nd row configuration. 3rd row big enough for sub-teens. JBL sound is worth the extra $. Hybrid yields about 25.6 mpg with 10% city/90% hwy; avg. 65-75 mph on hwy. Rear camera on Nav screen is great.

Suggested Improvements

No park assist in front bumper. Rear zone AC should be std. No built in sun visors in doors. Optional air suspension. Switch to Lithium based batteries (instead of Nickle based).

Careful of the Paint Job
By nasoj1

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am mostly happy with the Hybrid. However the paint is beginning to blister in small areas the size of a pencil eraser. I have found that this type of paint problem has been found before with Toyota vehicles. I have had the SUV for about five months now and the dealer told me to contact Toyota USA to resolve the problem.

Favorite Features

Mileage, comfort, ride and room.

Suggested Improvements

Need better paint job.

My Dream Car from the moment I test drove
By brandoshido

I was in love with this vehicle from the moment I test drove it OVER A YEAR ago. So it took me a year to buy this vehicle. I am so glad i did (although my payments are wayyyy more than what I was wanting). It drives like a dream, has plenty of space for my mid-large size dog, and my workmates who I carpool with once a week. I am consistently getting 30.5 - 32 MPG off of my first 4 tanks so far. My buddies have all said the back seat is "cavernous" compared to my 2008 rav4 (I traded it in for this car). They also said the seats were "very comfortable". Get this car if you plan on keeping for 10+ years, the fuel savings won't catch up until then because of the price premium. I LOVE it!!!

Favorite Features

Interior design is excellent, seats are comfy (leather), drive is smooth as can be, my MPG is better than the EPA estimates, feels like a luxury car, perfect city driver with the added room for my dog and carpool buddies

Suggested Improvements

Take off that tacky woodgrain, add an all black interior option, replace woodgrain with black carbon fiber. I wish the battery only mode lasted longer.

Good Horse
By Timothy

I am using for the past one year and definitely worthy in buying this still it costs more. Good for long drives and slow driving will save more gas. Seating comfort is excellent with lots of room for the legs. Altogether a good one and also good for carrying more goods in the back than the old models.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, less noisy, smooth engine.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design needs more attention also exterior painting gets dot spots soon. FM radio without antenna.

Perfect vehicle for us
By Nicmo

Owned 1 month. So far this car is perfect for our needs. Has plenty of power, big nav/back up screen, good stereo sound, quiet ride. Waited 3 yrs for the 2010 RX 350 and finally saw it at the SF Auto show. It looked essentially the same as the old version, which we didn't care for, only slightly bigger. While at the show checked out all the Xs (MDX, RDX, FX, EX) but for the money there was no comparison, at least from a tech side and sitting in the showroom, plus this runs on regular gas. The next weekend we test drove them all except the 2010 RX which is available in Feb and found the all wheel version of this car to be as good as any of the others.

Favorite Features

Large Nav/ backup screen. Comfortable seating position, and third row seat.

Suggested Improvements

memory seats for the driver's seat