2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Disappointed
By searching15 on 01/23/14 21:53 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought our HH new in 2008. We have replaced the 12v battery 3 times, replaced tires twice, and now have the car at the dealership for the 5th visit related to fueling issues - mainly that I can no longer fuel my HH. The car has been in for recalls 5 times, and the customer service at 5 dealerships has been seriously lacking if not all together absent. Definitely a lemon, and we have owned 3 other Toyota's without reliability issues, but the experience with this vehicle has left us disappointed and we will certainly not be purchasing another Toyota.

Love the car-highly recommend
By ozziecookie on 11/20/11 20:46 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased this 3 year old 2008 Highlander Hybrid 3 months ago and we could not be happier with it. It drives very well with excellent pick up. With time we have gotten familiar w/ the car and what it "likes". For example, on the highway, there are certain speeds-62 and 66, that it uses the electric power. Also, we are all driving less heavily on the pedal. It probably is good training to drive any car more efficiently. Overall, we get average 25 mpg. I am the main driver of the car. I use it to drive my son to school and back each day and after school lessons for both kids. My husband drives it occasionally and he loves it too. Whenever I am not using it, he uses it.

toyota
By kevin on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

this is an extremely sophisticated and fun to drive and is pretty fast for a hybrid

Careful of the Paint Job
By nasoj1 on 06/20/09 16:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am mostly happy with the Hybrid. However the paint is beginning to blister in small areas the size of a pencil eraser. I have found that this type of paint problem has been found before with Toyota vehicles. I have had the SUV for about five months now and the dealer told me to contact Toyota USA to resolve the problem.

My Dream Car from the moment I test drove
By brandoshido on 03/12/09 10:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was in love with this vehicle from the moment I test drove it OVER A YEAR ago. So it took me a year to buy this vehicle. I am so glad i did (although my payments are wayyyy more than what I was wanting). It drives like a dream, has plenty of space for my mid-large size dog, and my workmates who I carpool with once a week. I am consistently getting 30.5 - 32 MPG off of my first 4 tanks so far. My buddies have all said the back seat is "cavernous" compared to my 2008 rav4 (I traded it in for this car). They also said the seats were "very comfortable". Get this car if you plan on keeping for 10+ years, the fuel savings won't catch up until then because of the price premium. I LOVE it!!!

Perfect vehicle for us
By Nicmo on 12/24/08 15:30 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owned 1 month. So far this car is perfect for our needs. Has plenty of power, big nav/back up screen, good stereo sound, quiet ride. Waited 3 yrs for the 2010 RX 350 and finally saw it at the SF Auto show. It looked essentially the same as the old version, which we didn't care for, only slightly bigger. While at the show checked out all the Xs (MDX, RDX, FX, EX) but for the money there was no comparison, at least from a tech side and sitting in the showroom, plus this runs on regular gas. The next weekend we test drove them all except the 2010 RX which is available in Feb and found the all wheel version of this car to be as good as any of the others.

Great SUV, Terrible XM
By ToyotaMan on 11/26/08 12:59 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had this car for 6 months now. I'm averaging 27 mpg in mixed driving. I really love the way this car drives and looks. The 2nd row seats are very roomy and great design. The 3rd row that I thought I would never use, has saved the day on several occasions. I love every single thing about this car except for one. The XM radio receiver I had installed at my dealership came with a little surprise. Toyota engineers didn't think to make the radio display scroll information. It only displays 13 characters. So while I'm enjoying the wide range of music, I get to play a guessing game if the name of the band or song are more than 13 letters. Huge disappointment!

Nearly Perfect
By JShue on 09/29/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

There's nothing bad to say. I'm getting great gas mileage for an SUV, 24-32 mpg. You have to pay attention to your driving style to get it though, no fast accelerating, etc. It handles really well for you non-sports car drivers. It's easy to drive, fun and very comfortable. Tons of room, head and legs, unless you are 6-2 and try to fit in the third row, although that still was better than any small car backseat I've been stuffed in. The standard features with the base model are good enough although mine came with the popular plus package which came with more features than I would have asked for. This vehicle was simply better than anything else I researched and/or test drove.

Shocked
By pondscum on 09/28/08 22:27 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Being an engineer I way underestimated this vehicle. The better half primarily drives it but I look forward to the rare opportunity to "steal" it. Our location uses ethanol in the fuels. We are now at around 10,000 miles and getting around 29 MPG (note using Mobil1 synthetic oil). I think it was a little lower when it was new. The hybrid system is seamless and a pleasure to drive. The seats and controls are well positioned thus comfortable to operate. Handles great and is comforting to know every time you hit the brakes a great deal of energy goes back into the batteries.

Toyota Highlander
By RICHARD12342 on 09/08/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just bought this vehicle because of a desire to do my part against OPEC and I needed a new one. The car started out with a mileage of 11.5 miles per gallon on the dash board computer. After approx 120 miles it is up to 22.5. So far I am disappointed because I am expecting to get the sticker mileage of 27 MPG. I was shocked and disappointed by the lack of luggage room when the fold away seats were unfolded. Folded there is plenty of room for stuff. I missed having my headlights turn on automatically when needed. I love the key less operation but because of the quietness I have gotten out of the car with the car still "running." roof needs protective strips to protect carrying baggage.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid in VA is:

$122 per month*