Used 2012 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great car but not for Northern Climates
By ykmichae

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm writing this after 8 months (7,000 km) of ownership. I live in far northern Canada. Other than the behavior of the car at extreme cold (-35C and below) and the problems I describe below with the keyless entry, I'd highly recommend the car to anyone. Can't see how you can get better driving enjoyment and value at this price.

Favorite Features

-Michelin pilot tires are quiet, best tires I've ever had. -3.5L V6 is flawless,. Quiet, smooth & really fast -Highway gas mileage is as advertised -Interior finish, very comfortable for long trips -amazing steering feel and handling for a Camry

Suggested Improvements

Keyless entry is not compatible with aftermarket extended range remote starts and you cannot leave the engine running unattended with the doors locked, which presents a major security problem in a cold winter environment. Sitting in a old car at -40c waiting for it to warm up is a real drag. Car structurally creaks and groans a lot, even after the car has warmed up, at exterior temperatures of -35C and colder. City gas mileage is not as claimed. 12.6l/100km is about the norm when you're easy on the pedal.

2012 camry SE
By bengal16

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After driving this car for 15 months I have decided to express my opinion. This car is nice to drive, but a little rough riding. The interior is spacious and the trunk is nice and roomy. The four cylinder engine has great power and acceleration but it is hard to achieve the gas mileage that Toyota claims this car will get. The trip information computer can not compare to my GM vehicles which are more user friendly and offer better user information.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration and passing capability. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

No mudflaps available for this model. When the paint chipped off from rocks flying up from the tires, Toyota did not cover the problem.They said I need mudflaps. I told them to order some and they found out they don't have mudflaps for this model because of the design. The inner wheel wells are lined with a sound dampening fabric type material to reduce road noise. I live in an area where there is snow and slush on the roads throughout the winter months. The snow collects in the wheel wells and freezes. It will not release from this fabric, so most of the time my wheel wells are packed with this frozen buildup which rubs on the tires. I may trade this car in because this is so annoying.

Reliability?
By erieguy

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have been leasing a 2012 Camry XLE with heated leather seats since last May. I never thought the heating worked well on the heated seats, and learned today that the driver's side only warms up to low after an extended time and the passenger side seat does not work at all even though its light indicator is on. So much for reliability. I drove the immediately previous model and after about a year its radio went haywire and had to be replaced. The car is very overrated in my book and will not buy at lease end.

Favorite Features

Dash on the XLE is a big (and a much needed) improvement to the previous Camry model.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe the electronics on Toyotas are made by others (e.g., Chinese). If so, they need to find new manufacturers given my experience. Head liners are thin and cheap for a $31,000 car; long way to go before they can match VW in this area. The leather steering wheel still has a plasticy feel and fares poorly compared to what I have driven in my Chevy Impala and Subaru. The gauge of steel used on the body is thin and the overall feeling of safety compared to the Jetta we own and my previous Impala do not inspire confidence. Young families can find safer brands. The more rigorous safety tests are conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Feds tests are more limited.

A good car but somewhat boring
By toyo2012

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I very much enjoy my Camry, particularly it mileage. On the highway, mileage has gone as high as 39 when driving a steady 59. In town, I get about 28, with an average of 30. For a car of its size, the mileage is great. The car rides quite well, and is generally smooth. My primary complaint is the constant wandering on the highway, as one needs to be making corrections all of the time to keep on going straight. The car just does not track well. Also, the paint quality leaves much to be desired, with spots and chips that are uncalled for in a car that has less than three thousand miles. My only other complaint is that the engine is not as quiet as the one on my previous Honda Accord.

Favorite Features

Great mileage; excellent ride; headlights are outstanding. quietness of interior. Bluetooth features.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to work on the suspension geometry to make the car track better; rear vision leaves much to be desired. Engine noise, although not heard from the interior, is of some concern to me as the car sometime sounds like a Massey Ferguson Tractor. Quality of paint and dealer delivery leave much to be desired.

Happy with my purchase.
By mreyes6868

2012 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We have had this car for about 10 months now and it has a little over 17k miles. No issues so far. The car has lots of power for a 4cyl and it gives me about 29mpg with half city driving half freeway. On a 490 mile roadtrip it used one tank of gas and averaged about 38 mpg driving at about 75 mph! Toyota did well on the new camry. I love the in dash touch screen radio and the comfortable seats. The SE also comes with the paddle shifters which are also a nice feature. The interior is very spacious and stylish.

Favorite Features

mpg SE package looks

Suggested Improvements

go with direct injection like other auto makers.