2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Sort Reviews by

Our second Camry Hybrid
By 2000kdriver55

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With about 10,000 miles under our belt and this being our second Camry hybrid I would say this is a great car. Our 2008 Camry Hybrid got about 36 mpg over all and this 2012 gets about 41. My best tank so far has been 43 mpg mixed, with about half of that being 75-80 mph highway driving. As before we have noticed that very cold or hot weather reduces the mileage greatly. I think the interior is well designed and the seats very comfortable. I would however like to have my full leather seats back as I don't care for the cloth panel seats as much. Love that the trunk space is so much greater than the 08 model.

Favorite Features

This cars greatest feature is the excellent gas mileage. It is comfortable and the ride and handling is very good.

Suggested Improvements

A few things that I would change are: Go back to the solid leather seats Move the ECO and EV mode buttons Install better sound deadening Change the Nav input routine

Your mileage may vary
By hybrid34

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We paid the premium for the hybrid because we keep our cars a long time and if we were going to get mileage close to the EPA estimate we would make up the difference in about 5 years. Now that we have driven it about a year we are getting on average 34 MPG Nowhere near where we expected. Our diving has mostly been city driving and when we do get it on the highway we get above 40 MPG. We took it back a couple of times to the dealer, they said there is noting wrong and when I called Toyota they said that 34 MPG was within what we could expect and does not indicate a problem.

Favorite Features

Smart key is great, just get close and it unlocks the door our if you stand next to the trunk you can unlock it. I like the interior layout and look.

Miss my 2012 Hybrid
By camrygirl2

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Kept the car up until 12,000 miles. I regret getting rid of it. I was averaging around 40-45 mpg. The most I averaged was 63 mpg! This car is very stylish, comfortable & great on gas. Very quiet, nice & smooth; however, it almost sounds like a spaceship. It has plenty of power. I felt confident driving in California while merging on to freeways/highways. It had more power than my 2005 Camry LE. The interior is nice & plenty of room. Some plastic parts seem a bit cheap. The only thing I worried about was how long the hybrid battery would last & how much it would cost to replace it. Also once replaced would it cause other electrical components in the car to malfunction. This was a great car!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage!!! Body style, interior, comfort. Smart key system.

Suggested Improvements

For radio or CD the speakers sound great but once you use the AUX for mp3 player the sound is not so great, sounds low quality. Some of cheap feeling plastic material interior.

So Far, So Good
By lefa

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought a Camry Hybrid on Dec/2012. I am writing this on April/2013, after 5,500 miles. During the winter we obtained 38-39 mpg (for a whole tank, combined Hw and city). Now in the Spring we are easily getting 40-42 mpg (again, for a whole tank, combined Hw and city). We drive a lot and get a lot of traffic jams in city drive. But we are very happy and satisfied with the millage. Also, the range ("autonomy") for each tank. It avoids being at the gas station all the time.

Favorite Features

The millage!! The autonomy!! Silent cabin (could be even better in more expensive models).

Suggested Improvements

However, the car needs improvements. I am specially disappointed with the driver's seat. The Mitsubishi Gallant 2003 that we had had exceptional lumbar support and amazing seats. I miss those seats a lot. The Camry' seats (river) are not as comfortable and offer very little support. But the cabin is spacious and I fit well inside (I am 6'02).

Gas mileage less than advertised mpg
By millese

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased a 2012 Toyota Hybrid Camry a few weeks ago and am disappointed with the gas mileage. I drive around town mostly, no fast starts, coast whenever possible - getting about 36 mpg on the last 2 fillups. I took it to the Toyota mechanic and couldn't find anything wrong. He said there is no break-in period needed to get the expected average 41 mpg. Frustrated owner! I'll be back to the Toyota dealer pounding the door very soon. Unsure of next steps if no resolution -

Poor front bumper and light structure
By sunny12

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Poor front bumper and light structure. Just made scratch the garage door, the bumper and absorber falled down, both left and right lights have to be replaced.

Chose XLE Hybrid over Fusion Hybrid
By moviefan

I was researching new cars for many months; primarily the new Fusion hybrid. I was at a dealership all ready to order the titanium hybrid and for some reason they couldn't get in the order banks. So I left, ready to return in a few days. Not sure what made me have a change of heart, but I started looking at the Camry hybrids. So I took one for a test drive (I rented one back in June for a vacation and liked it) but I don't remember it being this comfortable. The Fusion was gorgeous, but the cabin was too confining. The Camry just felt all-around much better. So at the end of the day I bought a fully loaded brand new XLE for over $4000 less than sticker with 0.9% and I couldn't be happier!

Favorite Features

Love the way it handles, comfortable ride, great field of view, excellent touch screen and radio. Love the suede/leather combo seats. You get the comfort of leather without the entire seat being leather and all the discomforts that come with it (hot and sticky in summer). Great styling too. Not as sexy as the Fusion, but I love it none-the-less. The Fusion's side pillars are very thick and the windshield kinda slopes down making the cabin feel somewhat tight and confining. The Camry has a much more open feel. I love it. I was also lucky enough to have my dealer switch the tires for me from the Bridgestone Turanza that came on it to the Michelin MXV4's!

Suggested Improvements

Need to fix the sunglass compartment. Sunglasses do not fit well in there. Also need to have the tray on the top part of the armrest. I have an 04 Camry that has it and I have no idea why or when Toyota stopped putting it on there but they need to at least offer an option or aftermarket tray. Moonroof sliding plastic door is very cheap and it feels like a cheap paper plate. No sturdiness whatsoever.

Boring and Overpriced
By oildrip

Where do you start with this strange car. The trunk is taken up with the battery so I'm not sure why they bothered with the tiny opening from one rear seat that is capable of folding down, I guess a broom handle can fit through there. Very little trunk space, a few suitcases and it's full. The cloth seats are cheap and not very supportive, the leather are much better. The interior screams cheap, the navigation has a very poor resolution display. The winning noise as you slow down drives you crazy in city driving. I find the start and stoping of the engine also very anoying and very noticable in this car.

Favorite Features

I guess the only thing going for this car is the high mileage and the instruments that are more normal and mostly intuitive.

Suggested Improvements

Hybrids are not something I care for and I don't think they will be around that long. They very well might satisfy a small segment of the market but diesel cars that you find all over Europe are so superior and get similar mileage to hybrids and perform better. Ask a mechanic. Maybe Toyota can introduce a diesel version but after looking at there product line they I wouldn't buy much from them.

Love my Camry
By striner23

I'v had my Camry since Feb 1012. I have 11,000 miles on it. I traded in my 2010 Prius for this car. I like my Prius but my Camry is so much more car. My wife has back pain and has a hard time riding in any car as she feels every bump. She has really notice the ride in the Camry to be more comfortable then any other car she has rode in. I was getting 42 mpg mixed driving all summer. Now that winter grade gas is out my mpg is 38 mixed driving. I warm the car for 15 min's before driving. This is the same consistency I was getting with my Prius. Winter grade gas has a higher vapor pressure to help your car start in cold climates. This also will cause you to get 2 to 4 mpg less.

Favorite Features

I like everything about the Camry Hybrid. My next one will have some more options I didn't get on this one. You can't beat the price that's for sure.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

First impressions
By stephenupton

Second time around Camry Hybrid owner, did over 60k miles in my 2010 all trouble free but was suffering a boredom attack so wanted to try the 2012 model, pretty much the same except for the little EVO button, press it in and be ready for some fun, even will give the V6 a run for its money and still do 40 MPG

Favorite Features

MPG gauge