Used 2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Wagon Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

Wish they still made this more car-like wagon
By Subie Driver

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car used with around 60K; it's now at 114K. Drove the newer generation, but found it rode too truck-like, and was kind of noisy, with an unrefined drivetrain. It was also hard to see out of and had particularly uncomfortable front seats. This generation is more car-like and the better for it (haven't driven the latest gen, though). It's an incredibly versatile vehicle - it drives like a sedan (and is fairly luxurious with the heated leather seats and wood trim), but has more cargo room than a similarly sized/equipped SUV. The downside is the drivetrain, which, though not as noticeably as the same-level one in the next generation, still lacks refinement, being a bit noisy and having some vibration. At certain speeds the transmission pauses before engaging, clunking when it finally does. Also the dual climate control doesn't work well, leaving both front seat occupants unhappy. But overall the car is comfortable and efficient both in town or on the highway and is like a Swiss pocket knife in terms of usability, perfect for hauling everything from furniture to dogs to groceries, while still being easy to park and decent on gas, and it has been completely reliable. Build quality is excellent, too, with interior and exterior materials holding up fantastically, even though the car's not garaged. If you're far from a major city, you may have a hard time finding people who understand this relatively rare car and how to work on and properly outfit it with brakes, tires, etc., and service things like the differentials, so keep that in mind.

Continuous costly repairs
By Mark

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first, and last Subaru, I bought. I thought the car would be reliable after reading and researching prior models. This car is the closest thing to a lemon I could think of. After 6 months of ownership the interior of the vehicle was breaking apart. Small holes in the stitching in the doors and the center counsel lid broke. Subaru repaired the lid and it soon broke again. Very cheep. The handling and engine performance became horrible after a couple of years. As of today, the power steering unit is shot - not sure what this will cost yet to replace. I recently had the transmission leak and the thermostat sensor replaced at the dealership ($600.00 plus). Then a month later the valve cover gasket broke causing oil to run into and foul out the plugs. This repair cost over $850.00 once they figured out what was wrong with it. I'll sum it up here, this is a terrible car. Don't buy one, it's no Toyota. It gets horrible gas mileage and over time has no engine power. It just screws you over with repairs.

Will Buy Another One!
By offroad001

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2K9 Outback on July 5th 2008. It was the first 2K9 on the lot. Got it at the July 4th Sale. I have 168,000+ miles on her. Great reliability and a great daily driver. I used to drive 100+ miles a day for work and it is a whole lot better than my Durango or Tahoe!! I keep my vehicles for a long time and this one is still holding up well. I did have the infamous head gasket leak and got that repaired at my mechanic around 133,000 miles. Just basic maintenance and she is good to go! This is my first Asian car. I am a truck man but this car has converted me. Still have my Tahoe but I let my wife drive it. $40.00 compared to $80.00 for a fillup between the two. Love this car!!!

Great gas mileage, reliable, fun to drive and great on long trips, easy to work on.

Going to look at a newer one because I can't get all my fishing gear inside this one. Still going to keep it though. Should have the cargo basket as an option.

Worst car I have ever owned!
By hatemysubaru

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first Subaru and it will be my last. I have owned all types of cars in my lifetime and this has been the worst. I have 94k highway miles on this car and now I have to replace the catalytic converter for $1,400, sensors, recalls, just replaced the muffler guard for $500 and the list keeps going. This car is severly underpowered and uncomfortable to drive and worse for passengers. I bought it because of the reputation but that was a mistake. To top it off the mileage is only 25 MPG on the highway. I have a family of 5 drivers and everyone hates this car. Don't waste your money on a Sabaru!

Cant think of a single thing

stop making them!

Well, that was a huge waste of money!
By deminimis

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only 54,000 miles and the engine hatched.
Not only is the car under the factory warranty, but also an extended warranty.
Subaru is fighting us tooth and nail.
Will have to sue Subaru to get the car fixed under warranty.
Will stick with Toyota next time.

Perhaps Subaru should quit trying to blame the customer in an attempt to keep from doing bargained for warranty work. Here is one example that you don't always get what you pay for.