2007 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Not quite a 944 Turbo, but tha

2007 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

WRX Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

Not quite a 944 Turbo, but that's alright with me
By khalils on

2007 Subaru Impreza WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2007 WRX Wagon replaced a 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo. I wanted a car that was a well-rounded and sporty daily driver but with all season reliability, better utility, and lower maintenance costs. The WRX does not have the handling prowess, balance, and speed of the Porsche. In spite of too much weight forward, it a taut handling car and fun to drive in the twisties. Its good in snow, gets decent gas mileage, and has yet to have any mechanical problems whatsoever after 31k miles. I am extremely satisfied with the car. I dumped the RE-92s that came stock on the car and mounted some decent rubber, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. That made a big, positive difference.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged engine and AWD are great in the mountains. Functional utility of the wagon design, short wheelbase, taught suspension, free revving boxer engine. With a dedicated set of real snows, not much short of a snowdrift can stop it.

Suggested Improvements

Reverse gear can be balky. Interior is a little tinny and could be more refined. Shortly after buying the car, the cruise control stalk developed a loose buzzing that was not fixed. It drives me nuts and is usually fixed with a rubber band. Not the car's best feature.