Used 2006 Nissan Sentra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Sentra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Best gas mileage car ever!!
By sentraowner

2006 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Nissan Sentra. The first 2 lasted 240k and 320k. This one is heading for 400k if the body will hold. With the 1.8L engine, manual 5 spd transmission, Amsoil 0w-30 full synthetic oil, full synthetic in both the manual transmission and the transaxle, this car averages 38-44mpg with cruise control on and at 65 mph. I use my Garmin Nuvi to sync my speedometer and find it is 3mph slow. Bad points: Slow acceleration Good points: Great in the snow, even in WNY winters. Very reliable. Only dealer service I have had is having the belts (timing, alternator, water pump) changed every 60k. Oil changes at 10-15K miles using Amsoil filters.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability

Suggested Improvements

None

It worked but
By Not again

2006 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car used in 08 w/ 66k miles on it. Within 1st month, fuel injector pump needed to be replaced. Within 1st yr, 2 motor mounts needed to be replaced 3 times each to no fault of my own, leaving my mechanic puzzled. My mechanic says this car has lots of electrical problems. I bought this car because a friend had one that I loved but ended up being a better car for passenger. It didn't drive very well & the transmission didn't like to shift smoothly. Auto open trunk also stopped working for no apparent reason. I would have kept driving it if it wasn't totaled in an accident (to no fault of the Sentra, poor thing couldn't compete with an SUV!) The seat belts and airbags work great!

Favorite Features

Aux input, interior and exterior appearance, lots of compartments for storage, strong AC.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel Injector Pump needs to be recalled, too many reported issues for this to go on. I wish it had more power.

Good but not great
By shakalaka

2006 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 2006 with only 300 miles on it, since then I have driven to hell and back. It now has 127369 miles on the engine, and the car still running strong. I already replaced the belts, spark plugs and the stock tires, but that would qualify as normal wear replacement. The one issue and biggest problem I have with this car is the fuel pump, at 80,000 miles it gave out and I found out many sentra customers have the same issue. Why will Nissan not do a recall on this unit, to me it seems like nissan does not care for its customers. They want this to come out of our own pocket even though it is a manufacturer problem, nothing the customer has done has caused this faulty fuel kit.

Favorite Features

good engine still a nissan!

Suggested Improvements

better transmission, better placement of cup holders, remember the motto "customer comes first", do a recall on the fuel pump assembly and redesign the whole fuel kit even when replaced its faulty once used, they are just putting on the car a new bad part.

Fuel Pump
By nmhopkins

2006 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2009 with about 25k miles on it. I've had it about 3.5 years and overall it's not been a bad vehicle. I too have had problems with the fuel pump but that has been going on for years and it's always started up the second time I turn it over. I have had the motors in the rear windows go out twice (once on either side) which cause the windows to go down and not go back up and that's a bit annoying. Also, like most small cars it doesn't handle very well in snow or heavy rain. But the car has been reliable and a great first car for me. The fuel economy is great!

Favorite Features

Quick for a small car, fuel economy, comfortable interior

Suggested Improvements

Fuel pump, window motors, better handling in bad weather

Keeps truckin'
By umpdad

2006 Nissan Sentra Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in July of '06. I drive 500 miles a week more or less and now have 235,500 miles on it. I did have a problem with the fuel pump and crankshaft sensor about a hundred thousand miles ago. It would start the second time every time for the longest while but eventually it worsened. I replaced a starter as a result Had a garage replace the fuel pump and it was better but got worse again. Finally took it to the dealer and got the crankshaft sensor replaced. I think it's been a great little car. All the interior buttons still work and the air is cold still after 8 1/2 years. If it dies tomorrow, I'd still think it's a great little car. The most reliable car I've ever had.