Used 1999 Nissan Quest Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Quest - Consumer Reviews

1999 Nissan Quest

View reviews for a specific Quest model:

Awesome for a mini-van
By Bill

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

The best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and that's saying something. Bought it brand new in '99 and I've never had a single problem with it, even with the miles at over 170,000. Even though my kids are driving themselves now I still get plenty of use out of the van and it's one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven. Based on this I'd buy another Nissan in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

We got a free TV/VCR console when we bought it and it was great for the kids on the long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything they could have done at the time other then possibly having the ability to removed the 3 row instead of just sliding it up.

Trouble Free
By Happy Owner

1999 Nissan Quest GXE 4dr Minivan

Never had any problems with this van. Had Ford, Chevy and Dodge vans and this is by far superior in low maintenance costs. I have only had to do brakes, tires, oil changes and 30,000, 60,000 and 90,000 maintenance. Great for family vacations and shopping trips. Several trips to the hardware store and it will hold up to ten foot long boards and lots of bags of concrete, bark and potting soil. Drives and handles great. I also have a Frontier and am very impressed with Nissan reliability and dependability. Even with over 100,000 miles still feel comfortable with taking it on trips.

Favorite Features

Stereo, TV, rear air conditioning and cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable drivers seat and easier removal of rear seats when making cargo space. Front tires wear out a little too fast.

Very Good Van W/few problems
By Quest owner

1999 Nissan Quest SE 4dr Minivan

This has been a very good van for our family for the past seven years. It has been very reliable and a pleasure to drive. The fuel injection system does require cleaning every 30K miles or the pedal will "stick". The interior features have much to be desired, the cupholders, TV/VCR,and seat handles, side vent window latches, are not of good quality. The display of the radio has faded out for a couple of years now, the radio still works however. We are beginning to experience some electrical problems with the power vent windows, turn signal, and window/door lock controls. Overall we have been very pleased with the van and with 84K miles some repairs are to be expected.

Favorite Features

The performance on the highway, the ride of a car, and the TV/VCR is one of kids favorites! The little "extras" have made the driving experience of this van pleasureable.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of interior needs to be upgraded. Concerned about possible electrical problems going forward.

Not Great, But Definitely Good
By NissanFan

1999 Nissan Quest SE 4dr Minivan

We purchased this van with 45k mi on it and have added another 60k w/o a major problem. I change the oil every 5k, and that's about it for service. Brake, shock, and tire wear have all been minimal. It starts and runs well in all weather, with one exception of a moderate lag at idle speed when the A/C compressor turns on. MPG is fair, usually 20-22. Seats are firm and comfortable. Driving position/feel is more carlike than other minivans. A little rust is beginning to show at the bottom of the sliding door panels, but the rest of the paint is good. One annoyance is that the latch on the passenger side sliding door window will not stay screwed in, but I would still buy this van again.

Favorite Features

Reliability; firm, comfortable seats; steering wheel-mounted audio controls; side-turning headlights.

Suggested Improvements

At 5'11", I always hit my head on the open trunklid. A few extra inches of vertical travel would be nice. Quality of cupholders, sunglass holder, etc. is not good. Interior fit/finish is below the quality of Sentras and Maximas I have owned.

Luxury Features - Fits in MY Garage
By Steve Conslaw

1999 Nissan Quest GLE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 99 Quest GLE used in 2002. It was significantly cheaper than comparable used Hondas, Toyotas & Dodges. On the other hand, it had more luxury features. More to the point, it fits in MY Garage. It's about 6 inches shorter than current Odysseys & Siennas & Grand Caravans. That means I can squeeze it in the garage behind the lawnmower and bicycles. It still has three usable rows of seats. Great on vacations. The 1999 model had a TV/VCR standard - the kids love it. Surprisingly, the TV reception isn't bad. I had a 1998 Mercury Villager. The 1999 model is much better with side doors on both sides,6 extra inches of room, and the 15 horsepower boost makes performance just fine.

Favorite Features

TV/VCR Leather seats are very durable versatile - we usually leave out one or two middle seats - it's like a limo with the leather, TV, etc. Tip: Largest cargo area is actually in the middle: take out the middle seats. Fold and push back the rear seat. Good value on used car market.

Suggested Improvements

They improved most of the problem areas over the 1998. This model was discontinued in 2002, replaced in 2004 by all new Quest. It could handle a little better. MPG typical for era. Middle seat room could be improved. See web for common stereo problems and solutions. Middle seats can rattle.