2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Transmission Nightmare
By Patrick on 06/17/08 14:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Less than 65000 miles already have had one transmission replaced, two stock tires blow out, back interior shelf replaced, all 4 warped rotors replaced, front grill replaced, timing chain replaced, Air conditioning system needs to be replaced but not willing to pay 1300 dollars to do it. I am now replacing my 2nd transmission due to a defect acknowledged my nissan but not covered because out of 12000 mile part and 60000 mile powertrain warranty. I do not recommend this vehicle to anyone. This is my 2nd and last nissan vehicle I will ever purchase. Nissan consumer afairs and customer support group have yet to be helpful in this matter.

Lots of power, no good on gas
By dwillington on 05/20/08 14:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

What I like most about this car is its power and performance. 260 hp, this thing flies. It has performance tires for a reason. Do not like the interior, it looks cheapish Japanese style, like a cheap electronic calculator. The leather is nice, most of the trim great, but the gauges could seriously have benefited from a different designer. Gas consumption is NOT good, you'll notice pretty fast you're paying at the pump a lot. But overall, it's a nice sporty sedan.

Great vehicle for the $
By Geddis on 04/20/08 18:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second Maxima and I've owned this model for 3 yrs. Goodyear replaced the OE tires and outside of the basic maintenance, the car has given me no problems. Would recommend this particular Nissan to anyone.

Elite Edition Orange Maxima SE
By markscpu on 04/05/08 08:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Great car. Wasn't afraid at all to buy a 2004 with 112,000 one-owner miles. I plan to take it to 200,000+ in the next 5 years (mostly highway driving). Worse case scenario, I may spend $1,200 on an engine/tranny/or front end work in the next 5 years. That makes for some cheap driving. Don't be afraid of miles people - you can get a hell of a deal on a late model car with some miles so I'm more than happy that I can spend money for repairs if needed. So far, the car has been beyond excellent!

MAXDOUT
By Jon on 03/31/08 23:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

My 2004 Maxima now has 60,000 miles. This Maxima had alot of issues. Build quality should have been much much better. Performance holds this car together. But I would NOT buy this car used & I love Maximas.

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan
By Babulal on 03/17/08 17:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I am experiencing problems since the first month I bought the car. It started Bose speakers, fog light. Speakers, rorets, check engine, head light keep blowing off few times and now they are saying that the wiring harness needs to be replaced which costs almost 450. Tire problems, the car stays at the dealer place more than my home. Now I am having auto gear problem. I pay another 400 to get fixed mounts. Now they are saying that the transmission is going out and needs to be replaced.

What did I get myself into
By Innocent1 on 01/27/08 23:48 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have always wanted to own a Max so I bought one. The first issue was the grille started to peel. The rims bent. The tires have to be balanced more often that 6k miles. It drives well though, I can't complain. It has excellent take off. The fuel economy is horrible!

Looks Good - Quality Bad
By Mike A on 12/15/07 16:45 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

14,000 miles - Sun windows leaked causing rust and paint to bubble. 21,000 miles - Significant shimmy in steering wheel at speeds above 45mph. Deal stated nothing was wrong. Tires needed replacement. Non-affiliated repair shop identified cause of shimmy and tire wear as being out of round wheel hubs. This is a very common problem with this year / model. Hubs were replaced and problem was corrected. 47,000 miles - ABS system failure. The causes are the bolts on the hub and wheel assemble rust. This allows the mounting plate to move causing the sensor to short out. This causes the control unit to burn out. The repair is $3,000.00 This is a very common problem on this year/make.

Good but not great
By Bryan on 11/02/07 14:22 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is probably a great car for a young adult, but for a middle aged person it is not smooth enough over rough roads. I can't wait to return to the luxury class I got used to. I am willing to give up the performance for the smooth ride.

2004 Nissan Maxima
By dworkman on 08/10/07 15:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Great vehicle. No problems since purchasing. Excellent performance with unbeatable speed. Interior room is great, better than any other car in this price range with similar performance.