Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 679 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Fantastic Ride!
By MacGeek

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Maxima a year ago, and it's amazing! Great performance, very responsive acceleration and breaking. Beautiful car inside and out. It has never broken down, never failed to start, no problems. Just routine maintenance.

Leather Seats, Heated Front Seats, Wood Trim, BOSE stereo, auto-dimming mirror w/compass, performance, Xenon headlights and turning lamps, smooth & quiet ride.

The grill is pealing really bad, and the headlight lenses have started to fog. Very annoying, especially on such a beautiful car. AUX input would be awesome.

Bittersweet emotions
By pp

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my max new. Added billet grille & chrome wheels. So exciting! Major oil leak. Maintained by dealer exclusively (oil changed every 5,000 miles). At 105,000 the dealer recommended 10-30wt oil to muffle tapping noise in engine. Are hood, roof & trunk made of aluminum? Material is different than metal fenders. Although car was detailed professionally, the paint has totally faded and worn through to metal on hood & roof. Rest of ext is still shiny black. Embarrassing! Gray contact paper surrounding instr cluster is bubbling. Center console cushion has fallen off twice. Moonroof doesn't close without playing w/ switch. Auto tilt wheel doesn't always lift/lower when door opens.

love the styling, roominess, comfort, heated steering wheel, power ext mirrors, auto tilt/telescopic steering wheel & seat when door opens. 6 1/2 years after buying, i still judge other cars by my max!

too late for this car.

Awesome Vehicle / Bad Transmission
By OK

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in October 2008, with 62,000. The car is very roomy, sleek, and sexy. By the way it is very fast for a V6 sedan. Everything was fine until about 85,000, and I noticed a jerking when driving after awhile. I took it into the dealer, and they said that they feel the jerking, but the warranty that I purchased didn't want to fix it right away, they recommended that I do a transmission flush, which I did. As soon as I left the lot, the jerking reoccurred, I drove it till the transmission got worst, took it back and the warranty will NOW replace the transmission. Also the air conditioner went out, motor mounts were shot also. All this under 100,000, thank goodness.

Very fast engine, nice interior, beautiful body.

Transmission(automatic).

Very Poor Quality Vehicle
By Mike S.

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely will never, ever buy Nissan products again. The issues with this car are innumerable but I'll try and include them in order of decreasing cost to fix: New transmission (other complaints on this site) @ 70K miles, new paint job due to defective black paint that lasted only 3 years, new front struts at 65K miles, new front bearings @ 60K miles, front wheel shimmy is recurring issue since day 1, front headlamps are not clear due to sun after 4 years. The front turning radius is that of an 18-wheeler.

It looks nice on the showroom floor. Just don't drive it off the showroom floor.

Nissan does not stand behind their vehicles. Nissan needs a reliability improvement program. Transmission, paint, suspension. The design team should be embarrassed. The quality is awful.

Love my Maxima
By Helen

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Nissan and I've loved them all. I bought this car new and find it totally reliable and wonderful to drive. I've had no problems with the performance or the quality of the vehicle. I've replaced nothing and my interior still looks great. The only negative thing I have to say about it is the turning radius is too wide.

The braking system is excellent. I also love the speed and the smooth transmission.

Improve the turning radius