Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
This is my third Maxima
By Millie on 06/15/09 19:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car inside and out. Comfortable and exciting to drive. Only objections are the poor turning radius and the occasional tendency of the car to "get away" from you when accelerating under certain conditions, two flaws I knew about before purchasing, but which did not deter me because Maximas are so reliable. Also, original set of tires went 60K miles before needing replacement. I owned 1989, 1994 and 2004 models and liked them all. Had zero mechanical problems. Drove the 1994 for 10 yrs, 105K miles and sold it for $5K. I do a lot of highway driving and this car is fantastic for long trips.

Was great, now headache
By young max on 06/04/09 13:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car was a dream in the beginning, It had great acceleration, high text gadgets that all worked, heated seats and Xeon head lights and a wonderful sound system. I brought this car with 30k miles back in 2007. Now in 2009 I have replaced 3 wheel bearing, A Bose sub woofer, (by the way the Head unit isn't a BOSE unit), a drivers power window and a very costly transmission. My advice is to stay away from this model. It looks great, but the cost of up keep will disappoint you. For a car that was once over 30K isnít built better than a car you can buy for 10K. Go with a higher quality car, maybe the Infiniti. Nissan's flagship is a joke. My 1996 Honda Accord was a way better investment!!!!

Transmission Shot
By Norman Dell on 06/03/09 16:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased a 04 max, from the beginning i've had problems. The headliner had to be replaced because the fabric was peeling. The brakes have been awful, had to replace the sun roof, not the oval shaped one. The mileage is currently 71,000 miles and my transmission is completely shot. The car would jerk in the gears, especially when I'm reversing then shifting to drive. The dealer says there are metal shavings inside the transmission and it needs to be replaced. This is gonna cost me $4900, parts and labor. I owe 2 more months payment on the car. When I finally own it, I cant drive it. Was gonna buy an Armada, but now I will never buy another Nissan again. Very disappointed.

nissan max 04
By tomy on 05/09/09 10:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

i see everyone has a problem with the grill easy to fix get a raizerblade and push easly up on it and take it right off i didnt know what to do for a while then i came up with that idea now it looks great!or buy an aftermarket grill thats all. ppl just run in to one problem and say all this bad stuff about the maxima.. its the best car u can buy 3rd best engine in the world great looks u cant ask for more with the nissan maxima .

Peeling grill, oil leaking
By tigger on 05/04/09 18:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and I loved it for the first 2 years. Then.. The main problems I have are the grill peels, I have replaced the brakes and pads several times and it still shimmys at high speeds, and I have oil leak. I have changed the oil every 2000 miles and I treat it like my baby. Unfortunately the CD player stopped working and the CD is stuck. The sun roof won't open and last but not least the car is very difficult to turn without going back and forth a few times. The heating system is terrible. It is near impossible to get it to defrost if it is humid out. This car has always been in the garage too.

What a Disappointment
By Rodney H. on 04/11/09 09:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 04 Maxima brand new and had high expectations. The first 3 years were relatively fine .... only minor inconveniences with recalls (sky view roof, heated seats) and minor mechanical issues. During the fourth and fifth years I had nothing but trouble ... motor mounts, transmission, computer errors, sensor trouble. It finally got to the point that the vehicle was unsafe for me to drive my children in ... I was afraid that it would sputter and stall with them in the vehicle as it ahd done to me alone on 2 prior occasions. Finally dumped it at the MBZ dealer and purchased an 08 C350

Always somthing wrong
By Harry on 03/29/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Whats next? It started with fuel leaks on the fuel rail. Two in fact. Then wheel bearings. Then brake rotors warping continually. Next came the A/C leaks. Now the A/C compressor is making a noise. The struts are shot and bottoming out and the engine is whining. Clear coat peeling of chrome grill. Whats next? I'm not hanging on to find out! Its out of here!

IT's EHHH
By Gary on 03/24/09 08:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Got it in 08, three days later new transmission, thank god it was under warranty. Slowly other parts started wearing out, motor mounts, inner tire rods and ac compressor have to be replaced according to the dealer all this comes up to 3k. I never again will buy another Nissan, I've had Honda's all my life. Stick with acura if you want upscale quality that won't dissapoint you. I'm waiting a little longer before I jump into a tl.. Oh yeah turning radius is terrible! A semi does a better u turn!

Timing Chain
By JAC on 03/22/09 08:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This 04 nissan maxima 3.5 SE is a stick and is quick for a 4door sedan but unfortunately the car has been a big disappointment. The car has had a least two recalls and the rear panel always rattled. I finally got nissan to put in additional padding to get the rattling to stop. The oil has to be changed often or the engine will run very noisy. The sun roof leaks and now after 28000 miles the timing chain has to be changed which is costing me around 2k I'm done with nissan never again JAC

Overall I like it, but have had issues
By Had a few problems on 03/13/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car used with about 36K miles on it. I previously had a 2002 Maxima GLE which I like but wanted the newer body style. I noticed fairly shortly after I purchased this one that the car shifted hard between 1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd gears and much harder during downshifting (automatic trans). I also thought that my older Maxima was better made. This one just looks cheaper inside.