Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Love my Maxima
By Helen

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Nissan and I've loved them all. I bought this car new and find it totally reliable and wonderful to drive. I've had no problems with the performance or the quality of the vehicle. I've replaced nothing and my interior still looks great. The only negative thing I have to say about it is the turning radius is too wide.

The braking system is excellent. I also love the speed and the smooth transmission.

Improve the turning radius

Best Car I've EVER owned
By TexasGypsie

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After reading the bad reviews, I had to weigh in on how pleased I am with my Maxima. I'm the original owner and have 112,000 miles on it. It has been the perfect car. I've had great reliability, smooth ride, excellent gas mileage and comfortable interior. I love my heated seats, excellent sound system, roomy interior and large truck. This car has not disappointed me and I'm sure I'll be looking to Nissan for my next car!

Xenon headlights, automatic garage opener on rear view mirror, heated seats, controls on steering wheel, heated steering wheel. Smooth ride and excellent acceleration when passing.

Turning radius isn't good and poor rear visibility.

Not Up to Par
By Pat

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is not up to par for the cost. New was well over $30,000. I have had brake problems, the CD player skips, the a/c has stopped all together, and now it is making a knocking noise. I will be getting rid of it because I do not want to sink more money in it. It is a shame that Nissan did not pay as much attention to the Maxima as the Altima. If I had it to do over again I would have saved and bought the Altima. Now I will never buy another Nissan, i don't care what they are selling.

Trunk size and heated seats

The interior looks cheap. Never do so many upgrades on the lower model Altima, to the point where the Altima outpaces the top of the line Maxima. Bad corporate move.

Nissan, a great car!
By pat

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very surprised by some of the negative reviews I read because this has not been my experience at all. I have never had any problems with the car itself and love driving it and riding in it. It has beautiful styling, rides very comfortably, and has great power which is so important in metropolitan areas where one must accelerate on to highways.Fuel economy on the highway can go as high as 32 mpg with correct fuel but is lower around town 21 mpg .

The only problem I have had is with the CD player.

I hate this car
By Nacole Gusler

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car brand new and have had nothing but trouble since. Sunroof opens by itself, window motor has been replaced several times, major transmission problems, replaced brakes several times, replaced axles, struts wheel barrons and calibers. This is just the beginning of my list. I hate this car, I will NEVER buy another Nissan due to this. This is the worst experience i have ever had with a car, and the dealership has never been very helpful. Told them about my transmission and their response was stuff happens. too bad it happens to most or all 2004 nissan maximas and nothing will be done about it!

recall the transmission problems