Used 2004 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Nissan, a great car!
By pat

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very surprised by some of the negative reviews I read because this has not been my experience at all. I have never had any problems with the car itself and love driving it and riding in it. It has beautiful styling, rides very comfortably, and has great power which is so important in metropolitan areas where one must accelerate on to highways.Fuel economy on the highway can go as high as 32 mpg with correct fuel but is lower around town 21 mpg .

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I have had is with the CD player.

I hate this car
By Nacole Gusler

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my car brand new and have had nothing but trouble since. Sunroof opens by itself, window motor has been replaced several times, major transmission problems, replaced brakes several times, replaced axles, struts wheel barrons and calibers. This is just the beginning of my list. I hate this car, I will NEVER buy another Nissan due to this. This is the worst experience i have ever had with a car, and the dealership has never been very helpful. Told them about my transmission and their response was stuff happens. too bad it happens to most or all 2004 nissan maximas and nothing will be done about it!

Suggested Improvements

recall the transmission problems

Great Car
By efy

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car in March of 2010, with 85,000 miles; it now has 96,000, after only 5 months. So far, it has been a very reliable, roomy, and comfortable family car. We average around 24.5 mpg. On a recent 300-mile trip, I averaged 31.2 mpg with luggage and a passenger. The front seats are comfortable, but the seat backs are shaped oddly, and can become annoying. The back seat is huge, and is more comfortable than the front. It is very enjoyable to drive, with lots of power, engaging handling, and a firm yet compliant ride. It is quiet inside, with only minor road noise. The BOSE sound system sounds great, and the radio display is excellent. I would highly recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Handling, ride, room, power, smooth and willing engine, smooth-shifting transmission, fuel economy, heated seats, radio display, rear seats, large trunk without intrusive hinges, styling, Xenon headlamps, do I have all day?

Suggested Improvements

The back of the front seats are supportive up to the middle of the back, then they run off and leave you. What's up with that? Torque steer is apparent, but manageable. Visibility to the rear isn't great; style trumps function here, which isn't always a bad thing. The 12V outlets are hidden!

Beautiful Junk
By ScottieG

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Max privately just after the ABS sensors and actuator were replaced @ Lancaster Nissan. 14,000mi later, I needed the very same work done by the same dealer. I refuse. I have had other items go bad @ a couple $100 here and a couple $100 there. The car is beautiful but full of knocking noises. The car is uncomfortable because I sit on the seats instead of in them. I owned a 93' Altima & a 96' Max. Both were of a much better quality than this car. I owned a Buick between the two Maximas & will go back when I can get rid of this car. I bought my 2004 Max based on a good reputation. I will never buy another Nissan. -ScottieG

Favorite Features

The car is beautiful. I love the styling and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car with less bells and whistles, that looks good and is maintenance free. Nissan should be more than just a good/fast engine. It used to be quality over quantity.

Luv My Max
By TCross

2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

ok after reading some of the other reviews i am trying to figure out what did they do wrong to make there maxima give them so much trouble. I have had my maxima since it was brand new back in 04 and i have not had the 1st problem. I will live by Nissan and say that they have a great car on there hands. I love my maxima and i am currently working with my dealer now to get in a 2010 maxima. word of advise if you take care of your car your car will take care of you. so to the people who gave this wonderful car a bad review take care of your car and you will not have problems out of it

Favorite Features

the comfort, speed, fun to drive factor, fuel economy on the highway

Suggested Improvements

none in my opinion