Used 2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

A Keeper!
By bjb

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Quality ride with great performance, excellent pick-up, handles great. Decent gas mileage. Reliable and fun to drive. I like my SE, but wish it was a quieter ride--too much road noise even when all windows are up. ALSO...be careful of driver side blind spot and wide turning radius--I adjust side view mirror carefully, and must plan ahead for VERY wide U turns.

Plenty of horsepower, no hesitation.

Would appreciate reduced road noise in SE model; improved visibility on driver's side; reduced U turning radius.

Best car I've ever had
By Esch

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2002. At the end of this week I will have put 250,000 miles on it. No major problems until I hit 225,000 miles, at that point it started burning through the oil and I had to replace the radiator. However, I still love to drive it, when clean it still looks brand new inside and out.

Everything!

Nothing.

7 years & still going
By derosa

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Maxima new in January of 2003. It's the best car I've ever owned. I now have 168,000 miles on it. It's never been in the shop for any repairs except 2 small items that Nissan contacted me about that they did for free. I change the oil regularly with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 & replace the oil filter & I have no oil leaks. I also change the coolant and transmission fluid every 50K miles. And I replace the air filter every 15K - 20K miles. Replace tires & brakes as needed. It has more than enough power. Great brakes and fantastic balanced ride. Plenty of room for 2 car seats in the back. My wife drives it mostly now & she loves it also. I will update when we reach 200K.

Power, room, good looks & RELIABILITY!!! Do the maintenance & don't abuse it when you drive and it will last.

My dislikes are as follows: drivers seat does not go down very far, wheels go out of balance too easily - so I buy very good tires & use a shop that does free rebalance. Rear suspension is not independent so rear can be a little jumpy over bumps and cornering is negatively effected by this also.

Great car!
By jlar

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Maxima for 3 years. Purchased with 184 000 Kilometers on it and now has over 245k. It has awesome power, comfortable ride, great features. Really no complaints. Only issue I had was an engine light that was related to an oil pressure sensor. Engine light would stay out for 3 months and then come on everytime i changed the oil. didn't hinder the performance at all.

auto dim rear view mirror, heated seats, engine size.

slightly stiffer suspension. never been a fan of a boaty ride.

Great All Around Car
By Tony

2002 Nissan Maxima Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this '02 GLE from my cousin in '07 with only 50K mi. Well built, reliable, powerful, comfortable...it's simply an excellent all around daily driver.

Bose stereo, alloy rims, V6 engine