Used 1999 Nissan Maxima GLE Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Maximum Driving Fun, Minimum Reliability
By davidcohen1969

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought My Max in 2005 w/118K (now 214K). I have averaged about 1000-1500K a year in repairs. The exceptional VQ V6 and transmission combo in these older model maximas is even better then the 2004 Avalon legendary V6 I recently purchased to replace it.
Problem is everything around it is falling apart.
I'd fix one probem and two more show up. I'd fix two problems and four more show up. You get the idea.
Whats more, I got tired of having to feed it premium gas-tried regular, but the knocking sounded like someone was trying to break in to my house.
Despite my gripes, I still own her. I'm hooked on the powertrain.
I'll keep it through winter and then it's good bye.

3.0 VQ V6 and transmission (what sweet music they make). The longevity of the power equitment (windows, door locks etc.). How at 214K, the AC works exceptionally well. User friendly controls.

Longevity in the suspension components, oxygen sensors, starters. 75% of my repairs over my 8 years of ownership had to do with having to replace a myriad of suspension components. Poor quality.

245,000 And Runs / Drives Like New! Amazing Car!
By rh287

My 1999 Nissan Maxima SE runs like BRAND NEW
with 245,000+ miles. Yes, the factory ignition coils are a problem, but you can get some after markets on eBay for $114.00.
Installation is very simple. You are also replacing your plug wires as well when you do this. Go ahead and replace the upstream OS sensor at the same time. You can get
a new one for
$23.00 on eBay. If your check engine is on, go to Autozone and have them turn it off after you do this. Many "experts" agree, the 1999 Nissan Maxima has the best drivetrain ever built with the exception of the toyota pickup 22R and 22RE. Its crazy but at 245,000 miles my Nissan Maxima has NO blowby at all. AMAZING car and fun car to drive.

Reliabilty

Replace ignition cois and upsream OS sensors. Buy on eBay.

Great car up until
By ballbreaker910

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 99 Maxima in 2010 with 104000 Miles. I was sure this car would be reliable which it was up until I hit a severe bump in the Bronx, NY. The car was never the same since. The exhaust ended up falling off. I repaired that. The axel needed to be replaced. Done. The starter failed. Repaired that. Bushing, ball joints and breaks went. Repaired. Trunk wouldn’t open. Solved that issue. So my mechanic really believed in this car. Then lastly I went out to start the car one day and the car began to sputter. Felt awful. Turned out to be the coil pack. For anyone who knows anything about coil packs… When one fails… The remaining coil packs may be soon to follow. So I spent the $275 to fix

Potent V6 motor, Bose stereo system, Shiny paint trim after 11 years

regular fuel

1999 Nissian Maxima GLE
By mac3326

Excellent 4 dr Car, would buy again (now with 120 k
-Extremly reliable (no break downs)
-I replace battery every 3 years regardless ( no extra stress on vehicle and dont have to worry that battery will wear out prematurely or stress out alternator)
-has timing chain, no worrys for water pump
-Just changed out struts, they were good but I had to buy tires, evanly worn, (HydroEdge 90,000 mile tire again)
-Changed pads at same time (cer. so the breaks wont squeak
-changed speakers fininaly wore out
-EXCELLENT CAR, EXCELLENT CAR!!!!

Relability, comfort, Nice looking car, nice features, auto trunk, auto windows, beautiful car! Very nice mags

Keep building one like this and consumers will buy them, Extremely reliable vehicle, Nissian changed the new cars to a drive belt instead the drive chain, more routine maintenace on the new ones, not needed on the older ones, you will save allot of money driving one with Timing chain =Add Stero with Ipod access for glove box =Add auto start =Add auto passanger seat controls =The new Maxima doors are much lighter and tingy, allot lighter but allot cheaper feel! My concern is safety if you get in an accident =The motor is excellent, tran is excellent, Great CAR!!!!!

It has been through it all
By dt22191

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Okay so I purchased this car when I got a job as a client manager. This required me to drive the vehicle roughly 200-300 miles per day. That lasted for one year. I was expecting with a vehicle this old, to have to put some money back into it in the form of repairs...but with just over 200k miles (25,000 of which is mine) the only problem I have had to repair was a broken starter. It has an oil leak but nothing that is not impossible to live with. I love this car and it has been incredibly reliable.

Good solid engine that has no problems with it.

Honestly I dislike the climate control. There is no way to just let the cool air from outside flow in it's either got the A/C on or the Heat on...it's kind of annoying.