1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Maximum Driving Fun, Minimum Reliability
By davidcohen1969 on 01/19/14 21:23 PM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought My Max in 2005 w/118K (now 214K). I have averaged about 1000-1500K a year in repairs. The exceptional VQ V6 and transmission combo in these older model maximas is even better then the 2004 Avalon legendary V6 I recently purchased to replace it. Problem is everything around it is falling apart. I'd fix one probem and two more show up. I'd fix two problems and four more show up. You get the idea. Whats more, I got tired of having to feed it premium gas-tried regular, but the knocking sounded like someone was trying to break in to my house. Despite my gripes, I still own her. I'm hooked on the powertrain. I'll keep it through winter and then it's good bye.

245,000 And Runs / Drives Like New! Amazing Car!
By rh287 on 02/24/12 07:45 AM (PST)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Nissan Maxima SE runs like BRAND NEW with 245,000+ miles. Yes, the factory ignition coils are a problem, but you can get some after markets on eBay for $114.00. Installation is very simple. You are also replacing your plug wires as well when you do this. Go ahead and replace the upstream OS sensor at the same time. You can get a new one for $23.00 on eBay. If your check engine is on, go to Autozone and have them turn it off after you do this. Many "experts" agree, the 1999 Nissan Maxima has the best drivetrain ever built with the exception of the toyota pickup 22R and 22RE. Its crazy but at 245,000 miles my Nissan Maxima has NO blowby at all. AMAZING car and fun car to drive.

Great car up until
By ballbreaker910 on 10/23/11 23:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 99 Maxima in 2010 with 104000 Miles. I was sure this car would be reliable which it was up until I hit a severe bump in the Bronx, NY. The car was never the same since. The exhaust ended up falling off. I repaired that. The axel needed to be replaced. Done. The starter failed. Repaired that. Bushing, ball joints and breaks went. Repaired. Trunk wouldn’t open. Solved that issue. So my mechanic really believed in this car. Then lastly I went out to start the car one day and the car began to sputter. Felt awful. Turned out to be the coil pack. For anyone who knows anything about coil packs… When one fails… The remaining coil packs may be soon to follow. So I spent the $275 to fix

1999 Nissian Maxima GLE
By mac3326 on 03/14/11 22:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Excellent 4 dr Car, would buy again (now with 120 k -Extremly reliable (no break downs) -I replace battery every 3 years regardless ( no extra stress on vehicle and dont have to worry that battery will wear out prematurely or stress out alternator) -has timing chain, no worrys for water pump -Just changed out struts, they were good but I had to buy tires, evanly worn, (HydroEdge 90,000 mile tire again) -Changed pads at same time (cer. so the breaks wont squeak -changed speakers fininaly wore out -EXCELLENT CAR, EXCELLENT CAR!!!!

It has been through it all
By dt22191 on 07/15/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Okay so I purchased this car when I got a job as a client manager. This required me to drive the vehicle roughly 200-300 miles per day. That lasted for one year. I was expecting with a vehicle this old, to have to put some money back into it in the form of repairs...but with just over 200k miles (25,000 of which is mine) the only problem I have had to repair was a broken starter. It has an oil leak but nothing that is not impossible to live with. I love this car and it has been incredibly reliable.

Best car I have owned
By Vito P on 07/01/09 22:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

After being told by GM that my Firebird with 75000 miles had lived "its useful life" I finally gave up and bought a Nissan...best decision ever... I now have 140000 original owner miles with NEVER a major problem...just brakes, coils...little things...the car is EXCEPTIONALLY RELIABLE and starts every time with NO hesitation...they built this one to last...hoping to make it to 200K. Buy with confidence.

ReliableEngine/Trans,thats where it ends
By dave on 05/14/09 21:04 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car w/118000 on the clock w/out concern about reliability. In the past 3 1/2yrs, the engine and trans. have lived up to expectations (161500). However, I've had to replace the alternator, 2 oxygen sensors, knock sensor, starter,tie rod, oil pressure switch, belt tensioner, two axles. I know w/this kind of mileage there is an expectation to replace parts, but this seems excessive. Now I'm looking at having to replace the front struts and rear bushings. What prevents me from putting this car out to pasture is the engine/trans, quality/look and user friendly interior as well as the leather seats, moon roof and the Bose sound system.

Simply Remarkable
By Ryan G on 04/03/09 11:33 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I was looking for a Honda but the resell value was too high so I purchased the Maxima and I have not regretted it since. With nearly 150,000 miles the engine still sounds new and it performs incredibly well. Incidental maintenance becomes an issue as the car gets older i.e. alternator, cylinder, plugs, but major failures seem near impossible. If you have a choice this is the best pre-owned car value on the road!

Extremely reliable car at 169K miles
By Kathy on 07/06/08 09:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Maxima GLE used in '02 with 35K miles, and it was the best used car decision I ever made. It is now at 169K miles and still going strong. It has never needed a major repair.

99 Maxima GLE
By kari on 05/23/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 06 with 54k on it. It was perfect for two years. Now there is 90k miles on it, and all of my coils need to be replaced, along with all spark plugs. At the dealer they charged $1400.