Used 2009 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

2009 Altima 2.5L SL
By Bugeye

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This is the 5th Nissan (3 Sentras, 2 Altimas)that I have purchased. The 2009 Altima is a fun car to drive that looks great. Interior is roomy with plenty of leg room for 4 adults. Seats are comfortable. Standard sound system is adequate for an adult. The 2.5L performance is ok for the daily commute. Fuel mileage is great averaging 30 mpg driving 65 mph. CVT takes some getting used to but is generally smooth. Ride, braking, and handling are very good. As for value, you get a lot car for the price. Only complaint: It took me a while to figure out that carrying my remote in my pocket could accidently open the front windows. It would be nice to be able to disable this feature on the remote.

Favorite Features

Push button ignition, keyless remote, CVT, leather seats, and CD/radio sound

Suggested Improvements

Larger (wider) tires and wheels for the SL models, standard fog lights, folding mirrors.

Just what I wanted
By Dianaraven

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I gave up my hand-me-down 1996 Maxima and bought a 2009 Altima, with the leather and Bluetooth. It handles amazingly well and is very comfortable. I look forward to driving it every day. The CVT is smooth and the engine has a lot of power compared to some other 4cyl cars. The keyless entry and push button start is great for those women who have to usually dig for their keys. The interior is spacious and well organized. I love this car and am so glad I purchased it.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, never locking my keys in the car again, Bluetooth built in. And ladies (you may appreciate this), in the first-aid kit that you can purchase with the car, they have put an emergency maxi-pad. May be trivial, but you will understand.

Suggested Improvements

Self cleaning mode please (just kidding).

Battery Failure
By Joe

2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Be aware that something is draining the battery on high end Nissans faster than the charging system can recharge unless you drive it on a regular basis for at least 15-30 minutes. Suggest staying away from Nissans if retired or you do little driving. Know of three new Nissans two 2009 Altima and one 2010 Maxima where battery has failed within 30 days after purchase. My uncle's has failed three times even after a new battery was installed. Mine has failed twice. Would get rid of it but don't want to take the financial hit. Joined AAA.

Favorite Features

Style and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Determine the cause of battery failures.

Great Commuter
By MFD

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bottom line is this is a great commuter car. It is comfortable, gets great gas mileage (28-32), has plenty of power compared to its competition, pleasure to drive (i didn't mean fun, you might fall asleep). I think it out performs the competition all away around. I drove them all. Some small issues I have are: the engine noise in the cabin(its a screamer if you like to drive on the harder side). The CVT can be annoying. It truly does sound like a motor boat. You'll have to use autostick to calm her down. Also the brakes are extremely grabby, be prepared, you'll get used to it though. Handles great in the rain with contiprotrac tires. Overall great car for the money!

Favorite Features

push button start, low maintenance, comfortable ride, great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

a bit more sound proofing up front,

Fun but Laggy
By K Douglas

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought the Car Aug. 2009. noticed the CVT did not accelerate when making turns. It lags and can be scary if you need the power and it's not there. I've read the other reviews and noticed that Nissan says it's designed that way. When you step on the gas pedal you expect it to go, not with the Nissan Altima.

Favorite Features

Push button start, Bose system, 6 disk cd changer, key fob, gas mileage. Drove to Montreal and back to Toronto on one tank of gas

Suggested Improvements

Driver seat is uncomfortable, driver seat should lift back further. Rain enters cabin when window is slightly open.