2009 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews 3

2009 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Touchy brakes, spongy cornering
By richardh on 02/04/11 11:23 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought an 09 with 26k on it. Brakes were touchy from the start but thought they would wear-in. No such luck. Minimal foot pressure feels like you've slammed on the brakes. Had dealer check them out. After he test drove it, said that's normal. If it is don't know how they keep selling the model. Other complaint is extreme body roll in corners. Maybe it's just lack of seat support. Really liked the looks and power of the car but could not live with brakes and cornering. Sold it after six months.

2009 2.5 S
By zhon on 12/31/10 14:44 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car new in October 09 and have only positive things to say about it. Great power and acceleration for a 4cyl. Some reviewers have stated problems with a delay on acceleration. I have not experienced this, my car accelerates immediately and quickly. I barely have to touch the gas. Much more responsive than any other 4cyl I have driven, and I have driven many. The engine did sound like a diesel when it was below freezing, but that seems to have gone away after the first 6000 miles or so. It is no louder than any other 4cyl. One suggestion for those concerned about problems with the CVT: read the owners manual for proper break in procedures on a new transmission.

Worst transmission, engine, and noise
By jb68902 on 11/20/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I don't actually own an Altima (thank God), however, a friend of mine has one and I honestly hate it more than any other midsized car sold in America. The car uses what I consider to be the worst transmission offered on any car, anywhere. That, combined with the engine, produces mediocre power, lazy throttle acceleration, and the absolute worst engine noise conceivable. Combine that with an EXTREMELY outdated exterior/interior, unbearable rear seats, a mediocre sound system, and a lack of joy, and you are left with what is quite possibly the worst midsized car sold today. Seriously, I hate that CVT transmission. The transmission takes what little power there is and reduces it to nothing.

Great purchase
By swfl on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have owned this car for 15 months and have been extremely please with it. I have not had to take it in for a single issue yet (have just been doing oil changes and rotations). This is a great looking car and the exterior has held up perfectly with no paint issues (live in SW FL so no salt/sand on the roads). My question to those who don't like the power or CVT: did you even bother to test drive before purchase? This (at least the coupe) has been a get-what-you-see experience. I liked what I saw and 15 months (16,000 miles) of trouble-free and fun driving has been rewarding. If you want fast, buy a Vette. If you like the look of the coupe and the features, this car is a winner.

Performance Without A Heavy Price Tag
By Ken Harris on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I recently traded in a 2009 Honda Accord EXL-4ycl because I was not satisfied with the braking and acceleration. After about 9k miles I started having problems with the rear brakes. I test the drove the Altima and was pleasantly suprised with the performance as compared to the Accord. The Altima has a silky smooth powertrain thanks to the CVT transmission. I prefer a more sporty type vehicle and did not have alot of money to spend. I purchased a used 09 that was in almost showroom condition for 16k. This is the vehicle to purchase if you are seeking performance in a 4 cyl.

Thin paint
By n25ks on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I very much enjoy driving this car. It rides smoothly and has punch when you hit the accelerator.

Lemon
By OCeansurfer on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Within 2 months of ownership of this new car, battery replaced and died 4 times, brakes and rotors replaced AND went out 6 times, paint on trim is peeling, multiple electrical issues. A real lemon and a dangerous vehicle to drive. I know 3 other people who purchased their 2009 Nissan Altima 2 dr Coupes in the 2.5 and 3.5 versions who have been having similar issues.

Dissatisfied Customer
By Dissatisfied Custome on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased 09 Altima last December. We haven't owned the car one yr and the engine began to knock like a diesel. Took car in for servicing by dealer and informed it needed a new engine. After much scrutiny by NISSAN, warranty covered the engine replacement. Had the car back for 2 days, engine wouldn't turn over. Radio, lights, windows would work, but car would not start. Replaced battery at my own expense, still happening. Just wishing we had the Chevy Trailblazer back, and rid of this nightmare.

Best of all the rest!
By Nissan Altima 2.5s on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have been driving it for 17 months. I love the comfort. I get 31 miles per gallon combined city, highway. Best car I have ever owned and no problems with it so far.

Hesitant Transmissiion Problems
By Ken Mader on 08/13/10 12:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Have problems with acceleration. The drive is not smooth and there is hesitation when first giving gas of about 3-4 seconds before it gives me power. Nissan says that this is normal and that there is nothing wrong with the car. Nissan is aware of the problem because others have complained of the same problem, but Nissan is not willing to fix the problem or make the consumer happy. Shame on Nissan!