Used 2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Think twice before buying this used...
By jenvok

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car for close to 5 years, just paid it off and glad I did. As mentioned in other reviews, the hubcaps rattle, there is significant wind noise, gas mileage isn't great (24mpg highway) and the ride is stiff. The seats are a tad uncomfortable and become moreso on long drives. Had to have all 4 window motors replaced under recall, then had the intake manifold gasket replaced at 63K miles ($600 job and apparently a known problem with Nissan Altimas, but not subject to recall). All that said, this has been a very reliable little car. The 4-cyl engine coped fairly with driving the Virginia hills towing a U-Haul trailer and does okay otherwise.

Favorite Features

Storage and armrests are in the right places, interior is pretty roomy, can get comfortable easily

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank release needs outside access (not inside release latch like now), more comfortable seats, reduced wind noise and plusher ride. Plus redesign engine so $30 intake manifold gasket doesn't require 8 hours of labor to remove the top of the engine and replace. Better gas mileage from 4-cyl.

Reliable, fun car
By Valerie

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For a 4 cyl, this has a lot of pick up, which is why I only avg 21 mpg. I like a powerful car and it is fun to drive. Very comfortable car. Smooth ride. All the controls are where you would expect them to be. On a winter day of 13 F, the driver's window was stuck down after going to an ATM. The dealership replaced all 4 window motors for me under a recall. Had to replace the intake manifold gasket at 32K. I would buy another Altima - especially if I got the stick shift. That would be even more fund to drive.

Favorite Features

Purchased a seat belt extender when I was pregnant!

Suggested Improvements

The moldings around door jambs not very sturdy. They keep slipping off. I always have problems with the doors freezing shut, probably due to the moldings. Dislike the shape of the car around the trunk. Boring styling.

A decent car to buy
By Dipti Narayan

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car as used one. The car is looking great & interior is excellent. The car has power transmission. The audio, CD player is good. No sound inside the car. The car has some problem on the highway, e.g. some noise but not too much. AC is good, heater, power set are easy to manage.

Favorite Features

Good acceleration & good anti lock brake.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas milage & the signalling syatem.

Nice car!
By 2001 Altima SE

2001 Nissan Altima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Strong engine. Transmission pretty smooth. Both exterior and interior size somewhat smaller than other midsize cars but bigger than compact size cars. Ride is comfortable but not luxury. I owned it since new had no problem so far-86K now. Mine is sportier version with spoiler, alloy wheels, sport suspension and etc. When it was new, better value than accord or camry I felt but resale value is poorer. No timbing belt in this car. It has chain which does not requre replacement at 60k. Overall, Nice car!

Favorite Features

Sporty with spoiler, alloy wheels. Strong engine, reliablity. 6disc changer

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage barely 20-25 driving both city/Hwy

I like my little car
By PlatinumGLE

2001 Nissan Altima GLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After having a 98 Chevy Malibu for 2 years (First car) and repairing it at least once a month.. This little Altima is a great little car. I bought it with 50k for a steal, it is a Titanium Pearl Metallic GLE with every option but ABS. It was meant to be my college car but now i am trying to get it paid off by next year since i am now a Honda employee and have discounts. I have read complaints about the braking in wet weather, when you have a vehicle w/o ABS what do you expect? Brakes lock up when you hit them... My car stops fine.. It handles great with 16" rims, looks great with clear tail lights and tinted windows.. If you are wanting a 01 Altima.. I say GO for it!

Favorite Features

Leather int., side air bags, moon roof, spoiler, great handling, i love how you can "whip" it into parking spots or in and out of downtown roads. My gas mileage is good on interstate.

Suggested Improvements

Factory sound system, mine is definitely clear but no bass, everything else is improved in the new model, but i was not impressed with the new models build quality. I cant wait till i get my accord coupe!