ML550 - Loaded
By nyi on
2013 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML550 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl Turbo 7A)
Driven approx 10,000 miles - half highway /mountainous terrain. It started with buying my wife a 2012 MB E350 a year ago. Was very impressed so I tested the 2013 ML550. I sold my "big" truck suv and bought one ML550 full load. twin turbo, small V8 power/low fuel consumption ratio, comparatively speaking, has me sold. WOW ... does this thing move, smooth ride, quiet and has nearly 100 ft/lbs torque more that the larger 6.2L easy to pull my trailer with toys. Built in anti sway works. My ML fully loaded is equal in cost to a 2013 Escalade.
Favorite Features
power with very little "noise", smooth and quiet ride, Infrared night vision, lots of hidden safety features that can also be turned on/off, technology Power:Fuel Consumption ratio, full set of suspension modes allow raising the ML 4-6 inchs or lowering for "sport" mode. joystick media control at right hand console and hands free. seats with massage, heated or cooled. tight turning radius. huge sun roof. interior lighting. You will want to take it to the track.
Suggested Improvements
Warranty needs to be competitive, Where has the "V8-Twin Turbo" logo at front side panel gone?! nothing on the outside makes the ML550 special, make the ML rear end look better than the Santa Fe or Touareg! The multiple down shifts + "touchy" brakes make for a jerky stop. Add "remote keyfob auto start" in NA versions please and thank you. experiencing Latency in some functions - garage remote, starting procedure, when in standard mode the engine can almost stall before lurching forward before the turbos kick-in during quick highway turn arounds going from fwd to reverse back to fwd ... stall. Solution: Place vehicle in "sport" mode boosting engine idle speed reduces turbo lag.