2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Noisy, Noisy, Noisy
By 2010minivan on 01/11/12 15:29 PM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Air noise makes top skylight window intollerable on any amount of side wind. Front trans-axil noise is very loud with only 20k miles. Dealer says it is tire cupping. So...they cannot fix and the noise is so loud that I cannot hear the radio at a normal volume. Other than the noise, noise, noise, this is a good car to meet my needs. Fuel economy is as advertised. My Mazda truck is a nice quiet truck so I do not have a problem with Mazda.

Horrible Drivetrain
By nj_drive on 11/22/11 08:28 AM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We have owned the vehicle for 18 months now and have accumulated 25,000 miles. We have already had to replace the stock tires due to the originals wearing out. We took the vehicle to the dealer for all maintainence and we had a passenger side axle have to be replaced due to defect at 16,000 miles. At 25,000 miles the transmission decided to blow up. When in the dealership getting the trans replaced, they also found the drivers side axle was defective and also had to be replaced. The car gets around 32 mpg as we drove it from Iowa to NJ 10 times over the past 18 months. It is great with the entertainment package, as the kids love it. It is a little underpowered when going over steep hills.

Very noisy & bumpy ride
By JANIE on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This vehicle is without a doubt the most noisy and bumpy ride that I've ever owned. Just going over a manhole cover can be a teeth-rattling experience. I'm taking it to the dealership this week to have that problem checked out. Very poor suspension? Bad tires? I certainly don't know, but hope that they can do something about it. After driving a Mazda MPV for 8 years, I really miss the cargo space. When I first looked at the M5, I thought that it seemed rather less than the MPV, so asked the salesman how the cargo space compared with the MPV. His reply was, "It's the same". What a lie that turned out to be. Nearly impossible to get my bike into the back - even with 2nd row down.

Lilttle Bit Of everything
By CJ Boothe on 04/14/10 16:37 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I've had a Mazda Protege5 for 6 yrs with virtually no problems. Wanted a bigger, roomier, smoother car with all the 'nicies' hence the Mazda5. Great interior room, very roomy rear captains sets, tight but usable 3rd row, leather heated seats, heated mirrors, moonroof, sport tip-tronic auto trans, fog lights, Incredible Xenon headlights, flawless bluetooth for handsfree phone calls, auto rain sensing wipers, Rear sliding doors, traction control and Dynamic Stability control now added. Excellent features all around in the GT version for 21 grand. After 6 wks mixed driving getting 28 mpg

The most fuel efficient minivan
By Alex Povolotski on 04/11/10 21:56 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is Mazda's version to European Ford C-Max. Very nicely executed. The biggest features are sliding doors, manageable size, super fuel savings, and nice suspension. Also, it's not as noisy as other reviewers have indicated. I've driven it with 3 adults and one child on board and the motor stayed quiet if you don't hit it hard. Just remember it's not a sports car. The motor is a big underpowered though, so it takes quite a while to gain the speed after a sharp turn. Interior buttons are large and well positioned though cheaper plastics in the interior kill the whole mood. Suspension is good, eats small bumps very well.

Best compromise
By vicenac on 04/01/10 11:45 AM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We've got the GT for it's leather seats. It is much easier to clean milk spills off of them. We have two kids, 5 and 0.3. A minivan is something way too big for us, but we did want 3 raws seating. This is the best compromise we could find. Besides I've been in love with the looks since I saw it the first time. It's a little cramped. Fitting the rear facing baby seat in the second raw, makes the third raw unusable (almost). Loaded with all of us (plus grandma') there is not much room for stuff. A roof carrier is a must. All in all we feel we struck gold with this one. It fills all our needs and it's easy to park and fun to drive. And it looks cool

The Mazda5 = Fun to Drive!
By eml5150 on 03/29/10 15:20 PM (PDT)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought for a family of four replacing an '02 Ford Explorer. We leave the third row seats down 95% of the time and there is plenty of room. The 2.3 is powerful enough to zoom-zoom and acceleration is not as bad as some automotive reviews state; unless you pack it with 6 adults regularly or you're addicted to the throttle it will do just fine. Driving the automatic in sport mode provides better throttle response. Its fun to drive and its handling is impressive. The dynamic stability control and traction control are a safety feature finally available this year. Braking is very good. It stops quick. Don't spend more and settle for less. Mazda5 quality and features are a great buy for the money.

wife loves this car
By russell over65 on 12/23/09 16:38 PM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is our 2nd mazda5 had a 2008gt traded for a 2010gt we both drive this car it is realy fun to drive. Great to park steering is unbelievable. Gas mileage is also very good. I highly recommend this vehicle to any age group. My wife is 65 and I am 69 great to haul grand kids around. Sliding side doors are great for parking lots.

Zoom Zoom be this Macro/Micro Van
By dobedo on 12/15/09 10:12 AM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After 2000+ miles in a month and half, my 2010 Mazda5 macro/microvan is still zoom-zooming as expected. A reasonably good sized vehicle with a reasonable price tag, gas mileage and standard GT options, it stands to reason that it's a reasonable buy for me, a very reasonable driver/consumer...at least for now. Got me a Garmin GPS instead of built-in navigation system. Missed my old AWD in the snow & rain though. Also, not sure about its reported low reliability rating and tire problems.

First Mazda Experience
By First Mazda on 12/12/09 09:01 AM (PST)

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5 is a unique vehicle that blends traits from a mini van and station wagon. This vehicle is a good bang for the buck. I purchased this car 6 weeks ago and it has met my expectations. The engine is very smooth and despite some reviews that I have read, does not lack adequate acceleration. The trans shifts smoothly. Standard DSC for 2010 was a nice safety addition. Climate control system works well as do the power heated seats. The only problem I have noticed with the car is the windshield seems to creek when the car goes over bumps.The Blue Tooth and Home Link are great features. The audio system is nothing special. Overall it's a solid buy for the money.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan in VA is:

$94 per month*