Used 2009 Mazda 5 Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

I like it, but with reservations
By jay_gloab

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I like but don't love this car. I like its compact dimensions but wish it was bigger inside. I think when it's paid off I'm going to get a small four-door economy car to be my daily driver and a used full-size minivan for when I need to haul more people or more stuff. It's easy and relatively fun to drive, and fairly economical - I get ~30mpg on the highway. It has been mostly reliable, but I've just had to have the rear shocks replaced for the second time in under 50,000 miles, which appears to be a common problem.

Maneuverability - this is a parking lot champ Versatility - I keep the 3rd row seats folded down most of the time, but being able to carry 4 adults and two kids has come in handy Performance w/manual transmission - it's no speed demon, but it's far more responsive than most cars of this ilk Sliding rear doors - some hate them because of the minivanish stigma, but they are super-convenient

Better rear suspension! Front seat is cramped for me (6'0"). Auto climate control needs more flexibility - you should be able to select the zones and fan speed without it turning off Auto. The clips that hold the headlight bulbs in are absolutely infuriating.

Warranty's over
By m5indg

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I loved this car when we bought it and still love to drive it. 3 years old now with 25k mostly around town miles on it and and experiencing some of the same problems that others have posted. OEM tires need replacing. Right rear shock blew just recently. Clutch engages very high on the pedal and will probably need replacing soon. Plus the car has always pulled to the right even after it was aligned and re-aligned. Other than these issues, we still find the car very functional for carting the kids around and taking family trips. My wife still loves it, but I'm starting to think that it may be come a money pit in the next few years.

Sliding rear doors. Manual transmission. Fun to drive quality. Sound system.

Rear suspension. Alignment. Tires. Clutch. Also not a fan of the climate control. I'd rather have a simple fan control knob and temperature knob with an A/C button.

Expected better gas mileage.
By starbright

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have had our Mazda 5 for 2 yrs now. We aren't happy with the car. The gas mileage is very poor-only 23 mpg highway and we live in the Canadian Prairies so don't have alot of hills. The cable for the manual shift went out on me right before I went on the highway-scarey!! It was covered and we were told it was "unusual". Then, my power steering pump went as I was driving into the Mazda car lot to find out about a strange noise I had. The service center was very kind and replaced it right away at no charge since there was a recall (get yours replaced!). I love the concept of the car. But we must have a 'dud' and are looking at replacing it soon.

seat warmers, sunroof, and overall look of the car...it is classy.

Not what I thought a Mazda would be like. Inferior. Plastic interior is difficult to clean too. Better gas mileage needed.

Ok for what it is
By blue

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a functional second vehicle this is a great option. Minivan features without a minivan feel. Build quality is definitely cheap, and absolutely consider getting this only under warranty. Driver comfort is an issue for me (6'2"), my large foot (size 15) does not fit on the gas pedal, i need to push it with my toe. It's my wife's car and she is 5'10 and loves the car. In cold weather (-20C), intake manifold control runners were getting stuck due to cheap plastic composite materials that seem to be unavoidable these days. In hot weather, sway bar bushings caused terrible creaking, just annoying noise. Excellent service from dealer/Mazda for both issues

- Manual trans (would not buy if auto) - Excellent handling - Multi-link rear suspension (not the crappy torsion beam crap on American vans/compacts) - large rear sliding doors are great for getting kids in/out - excellent utility with all seats down for lugging large items

- "Best" OE tires (Toyo proxies) are absolute garbage with poor traction in any weather - Manual revs 3K RPM at 100 km/h in 5th, needs a 6th or taller 5th to make a viable highway car - Fuel consumption is crap for the engine, a Toyota Sienna with a 3.5L direct injection engine gets same mileage

The Perfect car for us!
By rough'n'tumble

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We were getting around in a compact car, but when we bought our own house and adopted a 90 pound dog, our compact wasn't working anymore. We are also outdoor people who love to go camping, so we needed a car with room for all our rig and our dog that could put up with some rough terrain. The Mazda5 was the perfect choice for us and we don't have any regrets. We paid $17,500 for it.

The sliding doors make loading from any angle a dream. The windows roll down on the sliding doors! MPG can't get any better for a car this size, can it? All back seats lay down flat and front row seats slide back and forth. Front seats crank up (I'm 5'2") and steering wheel is very adjustable.

Put the very back interior light on the ceiling. Paint job is kind of cheap. Front bumper is too low. Factory tires were nightmare in the snow. When second row of seats lay flat, there is a huge space between them that stuff (and dog) falls down into. Cargo net hooks point in wrong direction.