Used 1999 Mazda 626 ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Used and Abused but still rolling along
By BudMech

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

My dad bought me this car in February of 2010 for my sophomore year in high school. We knew it had problems but we got it for only $1,180 and 129,000 miles on the odometer. After having it inspected the next day I discovered that it was a hunk of junk basically. It still needs its driver's side steering control arm replaced,a new catalytic converter, a new muffler and eventually the transmission. The car is working its way down the shifter and is unstable in Park and Reverse gears. The minor stuff is the power antenna and driver's power door locking mechanism and discs and drums. He uses it to drive to work and it hasn't killed him yet so maybe it will give out before I "officially get it."

Swinging vents, real leather seat (not pleather like in our 2004 Suburban), leather steering wheel, Alpine after-market stereo system, handling (in the corners) and suspension set up.

Rust proofing on the doors, more HP for the I-4 and V-6 engines, placement of the engine diagrams in the engine compartment instead of owner's manual, better speakers.

Falling Apart
By ann

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

My 626 was my first vehicle. This was a great started car, very reliable. However, as soon as it neared 80,000 miles things started snowballing. I had belt problems causing acceleration problems, to the point that it was unsafe to drive. This was a minor repair compared to the transmission I had to replace at 95,000 miles. It was running smoothly then just gave out one day. I was told by a local mechanic this is a very common issue. Mine was the third '99 Mazda 626 the shop had seen this year for the same issue. Since the transmission was replaced I've had major problems with the a/c and battery. The car just shut off going 40 mph down the highway today. I am officially retiring this vehicle

The oscillating vents, spacious trunk and interior. Good gas mileage (when transmission is properly functioning).

Reliability with high mileage. Scared to take even small trips with this vehicle at this point.

More than what I bargained for
By impressed

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

We bought this demo car in 2000. I liked the leather seats and deserts colors.It has a very roomy back seat. Lots of head room. We were concerned after the purchase that the transmission seemed to snap. After several visits to the dealer we ended up having the motor mounts replined, which was under warranty. The radio quit working under warranty. The anntena has failed not under warranty and we have replaced a visor. Other than that the car just keeps going now at 138,000 miles. We replaced the brakes, tune ups, the timing belt at the right mileage, recently a new battery. The car feels solid and strong. Can't believe it didn't fall apart after warranty. I'll drive it until it dies.

Leather, roominess, swing fan. A comfortable and dependable car. Gas mileage

Lacks power for the size

626 experience
By Ken Jordan

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

The 626 I bought new has performed well except for the air conditioning which I had problems with from week one. I experienced some belt trouble after 100,000 miles. It was caused by the harmonic balancer. Overall it has been a good car. The engine is a v6 and is a little loud.

Economy is the best feature of this car.

Improve on the air conditioning.

Nice car, bad transmission
By spg

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Very nice and comfortable family sedan. Gets over 30mpg. Down side, auto transmission failed at 80,000 miles and cost $3500 to replace at dealer and still is not right. Due to possible design flaw, transmission overheats during extended highway use causing failure. Don't buy unless it has a transmission cooler in front of radiator.

Driver controls.

Auto transmission overheats and fails without transmission cooler. Very costly to repair.