Used 2012 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Sorento - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Most Helpful|
A stiff suspension and a bog in acceleration hurt this suv's rating.
By bc59

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I took delivery of my Kia Sorento with the optional V-6 a little over a year ago. After several months I noticed a bog (flat spot) when accelerating from a stop. The Kia dealership said to put gas treatment in the tank which I did but this did not help. The problem still persists. The suspension is very stiff and even the smallest bumps in the road can be felt. I driven a Ford Edge and a Jeep Cheerokee and their suspensions were much softer. Also, one of the side steps on my suv has come loose. Apparently from the factory a screww was not tightened enough. I like the looks of the Sorento but it is not a refined vehicle. I'll probably trade it in on another vehicle soon.

Suggested Improvements

Better tuned suspension, a better looking steering wheel, a more refined engine.

Rear Passenger Door Won't Open
By annoyed7

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 2012 Sorrento Ex in June and 3 days after purchasing it we had problems with the rear passenger door. It would either stick or would not open at all. We had it at the dealership numerous times to try and fix it. The last time we had taken it in they said they were going to order a whole new door panel. We had to wait weeks for it to arrive from Korea. It was finally fixed or so we thought. About 8 weeks later the door will still not open. Presently the door has not opened for close to two weeks now. We have 3 children and feel this suv is not safe to drive. Trying to get Kia to help is very difficult. It is usually days to get a response from them.

2012 AWD Kia Sorento 4 Cyl
By dwendt

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just got my 2012 AWD Kia Sorento LX with GDI engine and love it. I purchased it at Towne Kia, in Denville, NJ, based on a recommendation of a fellow Kia owner. The final purchase price with tax, title taxs etc. was still less than the MSRP of the car so I was very happy. The car is everything I expected andd more, nice pickup, great turning. I looking forwaard to my first long drive.

Favorite Features

AWD, Backup Camera.

Don't buy the 4 Cylinder
By barbieharley

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2012 Sorento LX with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. Took it home and it drove great. It was a little sluggish compared to my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.5L V6 but I thought it would save on gas. I took it to work the next day and didn't even get 20 miles and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. I will be returning it within the 5 day period. Will never buy another 4 Cylinder car.

Favorite Features

I love the style of both the interior and the exterior but if it doesn't go down the road it doesn't matter how pretty it is.

Suggested Improvements

Do not even offer a 4 cylinder if the car is too big for the engine to handle.

Always buy the big engine.
By buiford56

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I feel badly for all of you that bought the four cylinder engines. I have just under 30K on my Sorento and it is a great vehicle. My family and I drove from Iowa to Louisiana and back last week and I averaged 27.5 mpg at 76 mph. This is a comfortable and relaxed road-trip cruiser. The ride is a bit stiff, but this is why it handles well. The Sorento is powerful and economical. I have to say, it does very well in the snow too.

Favorite Features

I am 6'3" and this fits me well for long drives.

Suggested Improvements

My only gripe is the torque steer when you pass other cars. If you are doing 50 mph and floor it to pass, you better have the steering wheel held tight. Torque steer is a common issues the powerful front-drive vehicles and this one has it.