2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Persistent and constant issues

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Persistent and constant issues
By jabberjabber on

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Since 05, had the following issues (85% highway driving): Radiator hose failed. Both front window regulators failed. Brakes failed - replaced rotors, calipers, everything. Rad Fan Control Relay failed. Radiator fan failed. Heater core failed. Engine hood struts failed (x2) Rear hatch window struts failed. Radio knob broken. Evap system failure. Headlamp lenses, after several polishes, just too pitted to restore. Had to replace. Had issue where dash lights were intermittently working - just terrible issue to deal with. Brake line failure - also terrible issue to deal with.

Front seats (cloth) are very comfortable. Probably the most comfortable vehicle I've been in. Selec-trac is also and extremely useful feature. It has helped me in sudden downpours and snowy condictions on the fly several times. The body design is aesthetically pleasing as well - sharp looking car.

Where to begin? No sooner do I fix one thing before another one fails. I have had to have items fixed constantly for the past 4 years. Just the brake system has cost me well over a thousand dollars, and I still have vibration in the pedal. I will never own another jeep again. It has stranded me everywhere from the 495 beltway to remote rural locations. I'm mechanically inclined, and have performed several repairs myself - once replaced with quality parts, problems (other than brakes) are rectified. Why not use quality parts to begin with?