Used 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Best Vehicle I've ever owned
By Chris Richter

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Wow after reading all the bad reviews of this vehicle I guess the stars and planets all lined up when ours was built. Our V6 Trailhawk is a early build model Dec 2013. The only issues we've had was a water pump that squealed and a sunroof rattle. Both were fixed under warranty. I've had all the transmission updates done. It shifts very smooth. Yes there are few recalls which is not surprising being that's it's a new model first year build. Other than that it's been very reliable. I have over 40k miles, taken it off road several times. I participated in two Jeep Jamborees. I pushed it really hard. It came through totally unscathed. I'm really impressed with the versatility of this vehicle. It can tow 4500 lbs, great comfort, latest technology, and excellent off road capability. It's possible that many of the negative reviews on here are a vocal crowd that have had bad luck with their vehicles. Hopefully most other owners have had better luck and do not participate in writing reviews. Of course if I had all the issues that others had on here I would be just as vocal and extremely unhappy with my vehicle. I just hope ours is not a fluke.

Consider putting one of these in your driveway
By George

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Purchased a low mileage 6 cylinder Trailhawk with all the bells and whistles. We are extremely happy with this vehicle. Ride,fit, finish with attention to detail are impressive. Very comfortable all around. Storage behind the seats is a bit cramped. We have owned (currently) several mid level Mercedes products as well as Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Range Rover, (and Jeep). Not as luxurious as an Range Rover but detail finish is pretty close, impressive ride and quiet with off-road ability, and less operating cost. Interior seems more durable than BMW. Front is a bit odd style wise no more so than Lexus or Audi gaping mouth style but outstanding cars just the same. We have had zero transmission problems but this had been addressed by the previous owner. I would have been upset if I had just purchased new and had to get to the dealer several times to correct problems. Most of our MB and Infiniti service experiences were positive. Most of the other Japanese brands problems were unsolveable transmission related and ALL should have had recalls but the press seems to ignore customer complaints. At least The JEEP brand addresses and corrects problems in an open manner. They should build an SRT model. We will see over the long term how it holds up.

Jeep cherokee 2014
By Russo75

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I waited so long for this jeep Cherokee and finally bought it and ordered the top line of the trail hawk 4x4 . At first everything was fine and after 3872 miles i started feeling weird transmission shifting. took it to the jeep dealership and the mechanic told me that i have to get used to it. it stated getting worse after a week , i ended up taking in again and again and again and again and again.... 7 times and finally the transmission failed on them and they put a new transmission for me. It was same problem again, so this jeep Cherokee looks good on the outside but mechanically SUCKS. So I hired a lawyer and here we are lemon law case and they end uo buying it back from me . I m waiting for my check. For all of u people , don't ever buy extended warranty on any car, when they buy it back u lose most of your warranty, add the extended warranty after 2nd year of purchasing and if u like the car ONLY.

Never Buy this vehicle
By Bill

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

Very thankful for good consumer biased Lemon Law. This vehicle went back to Jeep for Lemon Law. Total ownership was just over 1 year. It was mostly in the shop for 5 months. Another month or two for Lemon Law to flow through. We had a 6 cylinder Trailhawk. Options for Edmunds were not available. It took multiple times in the shop to figure out the driver rear knuckle was machined wrong from the factory. The dash was removed a few times before the entire HVAC was replaced. The defective HVAC would cause a vibration/droning intermittently. The final straw was an intermittent cooling system leak. Dealer acknowledged there was a problem. They were unable replicate at the dealer. It would leak at odd times. The transmission was never correct. The Jeep 9spd was almost like driving a Nissan CVT. Rear cargo storage was less than expected. The wheels for the moonroof cover would constantly rattle while on the road. Infotainment system worked great. Satellite radio would cutout in the city. Front seats were comfortable. Navigation worked ok. Not as good as Google Maps on a smartphone.

Learn the Lemon Law in your state
By JG in NJ

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

LOVED this truck on the lot and for the first 15K miles...then literally downhill from there. With 4 visits to the dealership for transmission software upgrades and 2 tranny replacements later, I am now waiting on an arbitration decision for replacement or reimbursement. Very disappointed as I loved taking this truck off road. It handled mud, hills and dirt trails with no issue. Highway driving, however has been far more thrilling than it should be with "wobbling" between gears in downshifts and acceleration from standing position. Lurching forward in traffic is not fun. Slowing down 50-60mph and feeling like an anchor was dropped changes your plans for stopping distance. Hoping to replace this with new SUV that works.