Mileage issue
By youngblood on
2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I've had my Elantra Limited for 3 months and find that my mileage varies considerably based on a couple of factors. 1) Driving at a steady speed of 55-60 mph on an open highway or interstate, I'm getting over 40 mpg. But if I drive in the 70-80 mph range, my mpg drops to the low to mid 30s. 2) Driving in the city with lots of stops, the mph drops to the 24-29 mpg range. 3) Using regular unleaded gas (compared with the cheaper ethanol blend sold in the Midwest) results in significantly higher gas mileage. 4) The "ECO" system has no effect on MPG that I can determine.
Favorite Features
I have the Limited without the navigation system. Things I like so far: 1) Bluetooth works great with my iphone, including voice activated dialing--calls are loud and clear. You can also play music from a iphone using Bluetooth--no plug-in required! 2) XM radio also sounds very good, although I would have preferred some speakers in the shelf behind the back seat rather than door speakers only. The 180 watt standard sound system is loud enough. The 300 watt system with the navi model might actually be too much power for the rather small speakers. 3) Excellent airflow even with fan turned off. 4) Comfortable drivers seat even without power adjustments. 5) The car is very nice looking!
Suggested Improvements
1) Put an on/off with on the daytime running lights! I hate having lights on when they aren't needed. They also seem to be aimed too high. 2) Not having a spare tire make me uncomfortable. A flat or blowout may force you to have the car towed to the nearest dealer where they can gouge you for a new or repaired tire. 3) With a six speed transmission, I expected the top gear to be lower RPM. It's pushing 2500 RPM at 70 MPH. I'd prefer to see @ 2000 RPM at that speed. 4) My dealer has no touch up paint in stock yet.
By litesong2
on 12/22/11 15:45 PM (PST)

Yes, the EPA runs their mpg testing with 100% gasoline, not 10% ethanol blend that many people are forced to purchase. The ethanol industry & EPA says you lose 2% to 4% in mpg. However, many many people report mpg loses of 8%, 10% & even greater. Switching to 100% gasoline for our 3 cars, we note 4% to 7% mpg gains which have been accurately shown on our fueleconomy.gov line-graphs. Two of our cars had their highest mpg tanks within 3 weeks of using 100% gasoline, one car being 5 years old & the other car being 22 years old! First, 10% ethanol blend has 3% less energy content per gallon than 100% gasoline. Second, some cars must lose the combustion 'sweet spot', considering all the people reporting dramatic mpg drops with 10% ethanol blends. Go to pure-gas.org for addresses & maps to find 100% gasoline stations.

By litesong2
on 12/22/11 19:01 PM (PST)

By youngblood
on 01/21/12 06:34 AM (PST)

Update on mileage: I now have over 6,000 on my 2011 Elantra and mileage numbers have not improved. I'm getting 23-24 mpg on city streets with moderate stop/go traffic (avg speed 26 mph). On the interstate I'm getting 32 mpg at 75 mph and 35-36 mpg at a steady speed of 65 mph. In the warmer fall weather I did get 40 mpg once when driving a steady 55 (with everyone else passing me). The city mpg is the most disappointing as it is not much better than our larger Nissan Altima. I thought the EPA revised their mileage estimates downward to be more "real world," but it appears they are still inflated. Other problems: The wiper blades are very poor - lots of streaking. Not covered by warranty. Hyundai still not even stocking spare tires even for purchase. Positives: heated seats are nice in the winter months. Sound system & bluetooth work well.

By unclogum
on 06/01/12 13:25 PM (PDT)

Once, and Once only did I get 38 mpg doing 60 at the black on night, crossing the flats of WY in winter. My wife's 2011 Toyota Corolla gets an honest 35 MPG all the time. That's the real mileage champ. This baby figure 32-33 tops. It really annoys me that they get away saying 40 mpg. Did have a honda CRX that got 48 mpg. Wish I kept it.