Used 2012 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Windshield
By Becky Haley Wilson

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love my 2012 Pilot I traded in a 2007 Pilot and love it also. The only problem I have is that in the 3 months that I've owned it, I have 4 chips in my windshield. I didn't have one on the 2007 windshield. Driving the same roads at the same speeds. Is this due to the way the windshield slope or lack there of? Just curious if anyone else has this problem.

Blue tooth/home link
By sharynk

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I hate the hands free. So far the car has been evaluated and 2 microphones replaced, 1 blue tooth, speakers. I still have garbled voices on both ends. When connecting the noise is also garbled. I called the service department from my car and I was asked to call back on a land line. What is wrong with this? I realize this is not necessarily the service departments techs as they need to follow proticall but but but. I can't be the only car with this problem. I know I'm not. Hope I can get this resolved. I have had a few honda pilots and I now am very unhappy,

Favorite Features

Love the back up camera.

Suggested Improvements

Blue tooth!

Drivetrain shutters at cruise speed
By alesper

2012 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Maybe if enough people complain about the transmission shuttering at cruise speed on Honda, they will recall and fix. My wife's 2012 Pilot shutters. Her 2006 CRV did it worse. And, it got worse as it got older. Luckily, she automatically trades in at 4 years. The 2003 CRV was perfect, wish she had not ever traded it.

Suggested Improvements

Stop the drivetrain shutters. Shift smooth and steer like a Traverse.

Best SUV I have owned.
By bluewaters94

2012 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I ended up with my 2012 pilot after a long search for a decently priced SUV that would accommodate 3 car seats across the middle seat because I have triplets and did not want a minivan. I have owned 3 other SUV's and the Pilot, being the 4th, is by far the nicest and most reliable. I have about 27,000 miles on mine and, to date, have not experienced any of the vibration problems others have written about. You get a lot for the money with this car and even better is that it really holds its value. I definitely plan on driving this one into the ground!

Favorite Features

I have the touring edition and it has everything I've ever wanted, as far as bells and whistles, on a vehicle. The navigation is reliable, everything is power this and power that, I love that I can play my music from my iPhone through the Bluetooth. The middle seat moves and can be reclined. It has a ton of room in the 3rd row. They are regular seats and you're not crammed back there. There is still a good amount of room behind the third row. The sound system is decent. It has a hard disc drive, so you have the option of recording your CD's into the system, which is nice. The seats are comfortable. Overall it's a really sharp car.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not the biggest fan of the grille. I actually prefer the grille on the 2011 model. Also, I think it would make the car look more sharp if it came standard with running boards and a luggage rack. The Pilot is a nice car and the touring edition offers more, for less money, than the mid-line Acura MDX. If Honda tweaked the exterior a bit, I think more people would be drawn to it. Also, it's absolutely impossible to cut anyone off in this vehicle. Not that I'm condoning that behavior, but if you're in traffic and need to get over, better turn off your a/c and push the gas to the floor or you're going to get clipped because the acceleration is terrible.

One of the Best SUV's out there!
By ldecastro1

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before we purchased our 2012 Honda Pilot, we test drove all of the top similar-sized SUVs. For appearance, comfort, space, 4x4 capability, and handling we decided to go with the Pilot. First, let me tell you that the Pilot is one of the most comfortable cars that I have ever driven. The heated leather seats rival even my sofa in comfort. The back seats also recline and the third row offer regular-sized seats. The car handles very well in all kinds of weather (we live in Vermont) and tackles our summer pot holes and severe winter storms with ease. We have 20,000 miles on our Pilot and this car has been 100% reliable. The fuel economy is great for a car this heavy and big.

Favorite Features

Honda reliability, large safe car with commanding view, very comfortable heated leather seats, tons of space for my kids and all of our vacation gear, excellent fuel economy for a big heavy SUV.

Suggested Improvements

I read all of the negative comments about the ECO system. Our Pilot does seem to get caught between shifts, which is a bit strange, but you get used to it and barely notice it after awhile. This is by no means a deal breaker for us because this car does so many other things so well and even my $48,000 Volvo wasn't perfect.