2006 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Solid truck- Ranger Extended cab 2006 XL V6 3.0 2WD
By meatdowntown on 08/23/14 19:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I considered my 2006 ranger a solid truck. I am not impressed with the mileage, but I think I can live with it. I should have bought a 4x4 if I knew they were going to go out of the market, but oh well. I was ready to trade it in about two months ago and realized that the only competitors (Toyota and Nissan) have the same problems with fuel economy and dated models. They have added fun stuff like USB ports, etc but cruise control is still optional? That is kind of crazy. Pros: It handles well on the highway, low price compared to the Japanese models, cheap repairs. Cons: no cruise control, no steering wheel with positions adjustment, questionable fuel economy, clunky ride, bad brakes.

workhorse 2nd vehicle
By Tom W on 12/19/09 09:38 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new Demo KIA Optima and found the trunk space so lacking that when I saw this little Ranger I bought it without haggling. Great, and since I bought it the KIA just sits and waits with a now dead battery. I find the 2.3 L I-4 lacking in power, but a change of air filter worked wonders, as did dropping TWO tire sizes when I had to replace the tires. MUCH easier and simpler to drive. My one complaint is the clunky manual five speed, and I don't think they make a good one, they all share the same shortcomings. Mileage for such a small engine is so- so. I feel it ought to be better. Otherwise this is a darn good little truck. I note the new ones now offer ONLY two engines

tough little workhorse
By Tim on 03/26/07 10:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Ford Ranger XL 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We use it on the farm, to and from town and for an occasional commuter vehicle. The 2.3L and manual transmission move it quite well. It has enough torque to use in the fields (with real AT tires added) and still gets 27+ MPG on the highway.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.