Used 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Lemon, lemon, lemon
By sds5858

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought this brand new 2013 focus one year ago three months after I had it I had to put new tires on it because they were almost bald, then it started to shutter like my transmission was going out(they have finally recalled that part) terrible terrible terrible in the snow and now the air conditioning is out.. Mechanically This car is a piece of crap! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM IT!!!

Mixed Feelings
By mrjustin24

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I sold a 2011 Grand Caravan because my wife's Taurus X was falling apart and we needed to use my van as a down payment. We currently have this Focus hatch. It serves its purpose as my daily driver and we even use it for family vacations with 2 kids under 4. We have learned how to pack light. It gets 38-40 hwy mpg easy. I usually get 32 around town. For that I'm grateful. However, the issues with the transmission are true. It will act like it's stalling out every so often when shifting between 1st and 2nd. It also has a popping sound in the front left suspension at low speeds. This is "normal" according to Ford. Everytime I ask them to listen to to it I walk away with the same prob

Favorite Features

Sync system isn't as hard as reviews say it is, MPG is great, Great looking car

Suggested Improvements

Transmission quirks

Weird Transmission
By brsve

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Ford tells me the unique characteristics of this car's transmission are normal. Normal should not mean it makes crunching noises or does not know when to switch gears, roll backwards or jerks. And fuel mileage is not what it should be and I suspect partly due to the transmission. That part is just a guess I will admit. Traded this car a few days ago for a Civic.

Favorite Features

Car looks good. Nice interior, drives nice aside from transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission has to be work better, smoother, more quiet.

Shiny Junk
By massiejs09

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought this car brand new in August 2012 after realizing that I had to say goodbye to my beloved 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid which had about 125,000 miles on it (and was still getting 45mpg!). Fast forward to now -- the car has 16,200 miles on it and might be the biggest piece of junk I have ever driven. It handles TERRIBLY in snow (like the worst I've ever seen). I've had to have the sunroof fixed cause water was leaking into my car every time it rained, and it shakes and judders for no reason. Lots of road noise, bad acceleration. Just awful. I'm trading it in and going back to Honda.

Great car if you don't drive in the winter
By fordguy29

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Bought this car 6 months ago have 11,000 miles on it and loved it I have the manual so I have had no issues, no shaky parts or rattling, IDK what they are talking about. But drove to work on first snow storm barley covered the roads and I had no traction, traction control almost hurt me worse had to shut it off to get any momentum. Got stuck at a stop light even. I have all season tires on it and it is the worst car I have driven in the winter. Anyone else experience this? I'm debating on trading cars already. Any advice or comments?

Favorite Features

Love the interior and the exterior looks! Very fun car to drive when roads are not covered with water or snow. Gas mileage is great no complaints their. Love they made a manual, save the manuals!! Love it.

Suggested Improvements

Put all wheel drive in this bad boy and you will have a great competitor with Subaru Impreza! If not improve weight ratio so traction control will be more effective. Love the car but winter driving is terrible bad enough for me to consider trade even though I will lose money.