Used 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Good and Bad
By Brian in Florida

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is well built and very nice looking. Easy to clean. Logical controls are easy to use. Surprisingly roomy. Surprisingly nice handling, and adequate power. A fun car to drive. By using the cruise control as much as possible I could get well over 40 mpg. However the driver's seat is a deal breaker. The seat is NOT height adjustable. The back part of the seat surface does adjust up and down but the front part - which touches the backs of your knees - does not adjust. This is a problem for anyone shorter than 5'6". And the seat back is narrow and curved which pushes your shoulders forward. There is no lumbar support at all. The headrest, even when pushed all the way back, leans forward too much and prevents you from holding your head so that your eyes look straight ahead at the road. This poorly designed seat will cause you to need frequent chiropractic care. After 19 months of trying different adjustments and different types/sizes of seat cushions I could not take sitting in that seat anymore and I traded the car for a Taurus. A few other dislikes - the glove box has no lock and no interior light. The headlights cannot be turned on unless the engine is running. No cup holders for the rear seats. No heated mirrors, which affects visibility in the rain or cold weather. The switch for the dome light is illogical: the button closest to the back turns on only the front light, whereas the button closest to the front turns on the back and front dome lights. This means that a rear passenger can turn on the front dome light but not the rear one, unless he loosens his seat belt and leans forward and reaches the front switch that is close to the front passengers. The driver and front passenger can easily turn on the rear dome light, but in order to turn on both lights he'd have to reach back to the rear switch. Trade in value is not good because these cars are so common, "a dime a dozen" so to speak. Used car dealerships are flooded with these.
The are so many great things about this car, but the few not-so-great things outweigh them. I was glad to get rid of this car even though I still had 43 payments left.

Lemon
By Sharon Lee

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I have a 2013 Ford Focus I bought it new. I have had it in to the Ford Garage to fix the shaking and shuttering twice now and here I am a year later having the same issue. I just called the Dealership that I bought it from and they tried to tell me this is "normal"!! It's definitely NOT normal!! Do not buy this car... run as fast as you can away from it!!!

Avoid The 2013 Focus Automatic At All Costs
By Realist

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I almost lost count of the trips to the dealer for warranty work on the infamous dual-clutch transmission. After a recent update, the car stalled out while in slow-and-go traffic on I-95 in Virginia. I traded it two days later. Not safe, not reliable.

I Love this Car!
By Nile

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Okay a lot of people harsh on this car because it had a clutch recall, but seriously people if you take your [non-permissible content removed] to the dealrship the replace it for free! For free people! Once you have that done the car is great! Mine gets in the 40's mpg. I drove a round trip from Salt Lake City to the grand canyon and got 43.5 mpg average. The bluetooth system rocks! Its so great taking calls hands free! The car is zippy and I have driven it through a blizzard in the middle of Wyoming. When I traded my subaru for this car I was a bit timid. In fact I named my focus subi in hopes that some of my old cars reliability would wear off on it. This is by far the best car I have owned. I have put 40,000 miles on it in one year and it has treated me so good through it all.

Don't lose your Focus!
By Michael Friedhoff

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car! 38,000 miles so far and no issues. Looks great! Handles great!

MPG could be better (average 28 mpg), but I'm a little heavy on the accelerator...