2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews 2

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
After 25,000 miles
By cbrandi on 01/17/14 13:15 PM (PST)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We still love this car. It gives us 40mpg on the highway when wife drives it. I get a little less. We've had no problems with the car, though we don't like the AM transmission, its rubbery and always wants to be in top gear to save gas. As a result it tends to slow accretion. We also note that the air coming out of the vents in summer is warm unless we have AC on. No other complaints. Solid and reliable, fun to drive and comfortable on trips. The hatch back holds an amazing amount of stuff for such a small car. We've toyed with getting the ST.

Transmission Improved
By thai_tim on 01/16/14 00:05 AM (PST)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought this car in Thailand in April, 2013. I believe it is the same specification as the US car, with the 2.0 L engine. I am very impressed with the steering and handling, and build quality is excellent. On only 2 occasions, I had some problems with the AT. An oil leak was found by the dealer between the engine and the transmission. This was a major repair for a new car, to replace the seal and clutches. At first I was very disappointed to need such a repair in the 1st year, but after getting the car back, the transmission runs better than in any car (many) I have owned. it now runs better than when new, and I like it more than ever. Often cannot notice the gear changes!

Traction Control they say
By why_did_i on 10/03/13 13:13 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In July purchased a new 2013 Focus standard transmission. I commute 200 KMs daily and when the car was at 1600 KM I heard a clunk while on the HWY in 5th gear doing over 100 KM an hour. The car would not accelerate over 80 KM, the dealer looked it over and said nothing is wrong. A few weeks later sitting on the HWY stopped behind other vehicles and tried to accelerate into the right lane. The car chugged and almost stalled, this has happen a few times. I have an open CSR with Ford and they told me to leave the car with them for the week. I was told they couldn't find anything so I took a mechanic out for a drive. The issue happened, I am told this is normal traction control stop the C

So far pleasantly surprised!
By 2013ap3 on 09/29/13 00:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

2013 Focus Titanium Hatchback 5MT. MPG has been good with a high of 33.7 and a low of 31.3 after 1500 miles and 5 weeks of ownership. I have proformance suspension with 18 in wheels. Handles wonderfully on dry or wet roads here in FL. I enjoy all the tech extras, I traded in a 2003 Honda Pilot with 170K miles. Still learning to use MyFord Touch with SYNC efficiently.

A real junker
By 727torqueflite on 09/17/13 05:10 AM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I went to trade my black 2005 ZX4SE 5-speed in for (hopefully) another black 5-speed Focus back in January 2012. Ended up with a pewter-colored PowerShift (sales manager said I'd get better gas mileage with the auto). 5,495 miles was all I could stand - A/C only worked intermittently (dealer said that was normal), front end made loud crunching noises over bumps, and the transmission felt like a bag of bolts hanging underneith the car. I replaced this car with a 2013 GTI - wish I'd dumped Ford long ago.

Terrible Transmission - Buy something else
By eyandell on 09/03/13 16:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The interior build quality, sync capability and low cabin noise is what attracted me to this car. Now that I've had it for about 3 months it's quite possibly the worst new car I have ever owned. The MyTouch Sync system is very glitchy and slow. The premium sound system 'burps' when at low volume and anything with bass comes on the radio and I don't listen to rap or anything with excessive bass to begin with. The worst part is the transmission. I have had the software updated twice and I'm scheduled for another appointment for a transmission that feels like it's loose and slipping. I will never own another Ford product after the experience I've had.

Focus Continues to Impress
By staypuftman on 08/22/13 20:05 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I've had this car over a month, put about 2,000 miles on it and have nothing but good things to say. The handling is superb, road noise is low and the gas mileage is incredible for a non-hybrid (about 39-40 MPG @ 70 mph, 34-35 MPG @ 75 mph) - literally 25-30% higher than my similar sized 07' Mazda3. The automatic transmission gets a lot of bad press but it's a dual clutch system, which causes adjacent gears to spool up before being engaged. This creates some vibration feedback that's consistent with most manual cars I've driven. I'll take the efficiency gains this setup provides, plus you can drop the car into 'S' sport mode and the tranny responds with sharper shifts.

Worst purchase EVER!
By etch1 on 08/03/13 13:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Not worth the gamble! Sure some of these cars are fine, but there seems to be a high percentage of true lemons. Despite an extensive test drive to stay clear of the bad DCT and all, a few hundred miles later, I seem to be the lucky winner of one of the worst of the worst. This car started going downhill fast once about 4 or 500 miles was put on it. This car is now as loud as a soft top jeep on the highway, and with the dct transmission is one of the poorest driving cars I have EVER experienced. This car is 110% poorly constructed junk. Frankly I would rather walk then drive this loud bucking surging grinding rattling embarrassing piece of excrement. Worst purchase I have ever made.

If you want to hear rattling metal, buy one.
By beachmike83 on 06/17/13 18:27 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We bough this car 5 days ago. It has less than 350 miles on it and is making a horrible rattling noise. Hundreds of threads out there of people complaining of the same issue that appears to be related to the transmission and FORD does not have a fix. It's horribly disappointing to have this happen so soon. Stay away from this car!

Great value for the price, but not without drawbacks.
By mv_car on 06/16/13 12:07 PM (PDT)

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the price, got mine for what I consider a 'steal'. Drives like european sedan...puts a smile on my face the way it goes around turns effortlessly. Engine not yet broken in, and computer needs to be calibrated but so far I can exceed 40mpg going 65, and hit 35 going 75. This car needs almost no maintenance! GladI didn't purchase extended warranty: Platinum plugs, ceramic brake pads, synthetic tranny lube, top consume reports rated cooper tires, this car is built to last (I hope!). If you do buy this car, I recommend going with car and driver's advice and buying a manual SE model with the upgrade package, allowing you to avoid My Ford Touch and dullard of an auto tranny.