Used 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Shimmy and Shake
By butlersride

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I FINALLY got out of this car; but it did cost me. The transmission was faulty from the get-go and you'll regret the day you ever bought it. At parking lot speeds the transmission cannot make up its mind, but worse, many times it gets stuck in neutral and then catch and thrust you forward. In my car the "reverse sensor" frequently came on while I was in drive. The MPG is horrible, in the City I got 23, they vastly exaggerate how efficient the car is.

Favorite Features

Sony stereo is nice

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission; tell the truth about the MPG

Dual-Clutch Auto Trans is a bad idea
By sirhawkeye

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Overall an OK for the money. BUT... Beware of the dual-clutch transmission though. the 2012's had a lot of problems with them (clutch notise, which Ford dismisses as normal, which is not true if you ask any true auto tech or engineer). That and carbon build-up on the engine due to direct injection (Google it and you'll find out pretty quick). It's a sporty car, design is nice, interior is nice (just wish the transmission lived up to the hype that Ford put into it). Even the Fiesta has the same transmission problems.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, Syc was OK (when it works--which was about half the time). Powerful engine (although automated-manual dual-clutch transmission is another story), Overall good value for the money. Build quality (interior and exterior is fine. Lots of options. Great fuel economy (I could get 45 MPG during the summer on the highway and that was with an automatic WITHOUT the extended fuel economy package). Great commuter car (maybe not so good as a family car unless you have 1-2 kids only). Overall they are safe.

Suggested Improvements

*First, Have heard direct injection causes carbon build-up on the valvaes as early as 30k miles (Traded mine before 30k so I didn't notice this)--but Google it if you're curious. *Dual-Clutch transmission needs to be re-done/re-designed (the one in the 2013 Dodge Dart is so much better and smoother shifting). *Ford needs to get rid of Sync and go with an in-house design or something else. Sometimes technology can hurt a manufacturer's image, especially when the technology doesn't work half the time (and it takes your attention from the road to figure out how to get it TO work). *Power windows & cruise standard on all models (including S). *Make a turbo-diesel version (like in Europe)

Stalling and Gear Issues
By jenn74really

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Purchased the 2012 Ford Focus in 11-2011. It was slow initially in responding to the gas. The reaction time is delayed and losing power. Over the past year, I am stalled approx. 50 times. Recently, the gears don't seem to be lined up properly. When the vehicle is in park, it has rolled. When the vehicle is in reverse, then drive, the car is still in reverse. I nearly hit a parked car backing out of a parking lot. Right after that happened the vehicle stalled and quit completely. Engine light was on for a short period. After several attempts to start the vehicle again, I was forced to have a tow truck retrieve the vehicle. Non-operable and unsafe. Ford does not see a problem.

Favorite Features

Sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Ford Manufacturing will need to either recall this issue or issue full replacement of purchase on these vehicles to the consumer. This car will cause some serious safety issues if not dealt with properly. This is a high risk vehicle to drive and I suggest that Ford repair or issue refunds their buyers.

Last Ford Car
By texasmilitary

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I'm terrified to drive this thing. Much like the other reviews, the shuddering was an issue from the start, but I was told that it was part of the new design. Two years into it, I can tolerate it. However, now the car just decelerates for no reason and the check engine light comes on. Keep in mind that this happens anywhere and anytime, even on a major highway going 70 miles an hour. The first time it scared me so bad. I took it in and they claimed it was an engine light issue, kept it for two days, fixed it, and sent me on my way. Less than a week later the car has decelerated and come to a complete stop 3 times. I took it back to the dealership...I will update you on their response.

Favorite Features

I'm still scared so I can't think of any.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the transmission.

long term test review
By imperial_tie

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

From day one (1JAN2012) this car has been an issue. I have spent more time having the transmission checked than I should. Mine is a Lemon. I've had issues from random loss of power to not starting. There is nothing like being stranded in a parking garage after black Friday shopping. I just bought new tires and am not happy. This may look like a fun hatchback but believe me its a MoneyPit. This is the last time I buy ford. 43,000 miles, all maintenance current, problem "unable to be duplicated", 10 times it has failed to start. Ford should really google this problem before stating "it has never been reported issue"

Favorite Features

RIMS AND FOG LIGHTS

Suggested Improvements

reliability and suspension