2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Disappointing
By crash308 on 07/12/13 14:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Ordered my Focus SEL in July '11 with My Ford Touch, moon roof, and premium stereo. MFT module failed within a few weeks. The dealer replaced the computer and its been mostly reliable since. (Ford increased the warranty to 5 years on the module because of ongoing problems). DON"T BUY MFT - its a waste of money. Its a pain to remember all of the voice commands and everything that SYNC is capable of doing can be done in 10 times faster by adjusting a knob. The transmission is TERRIBLE. Unusual hesitations, bad shift intervals, and unpredictable acceleration are common. The recall improved performance, but didn't solve the problems.

Lemon
By richard4872 on 06/17/13 13:11 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Let me start by saying, I have the SE Sport with the Tuxedo Package. Black on Black. Gorgeous car. The first 25,000 miles in the car were awesome. It handled like a dream. My edition came with the wrap around Recaro seats. I even averaged 33 mpg at 80 mph. Here's the bad. At 25,000 miles, Ford rebuilt my first transmission and differential. At 32,000 they rebuilt my transmission again. Now it is at 40,000 miles and needs another. Here's the catch. The automatics aren't true traditional automatics. They are manuals, but, the computer has a solenoid that pushes the clutch for you. Yes, I said clutch. Even worse, the clutch plates are cast and not forged. Thank god for the Lemon Law

Don't buy this car!
By thecarguy112 on 06/12/13 12:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought a 2012 Focus with leather, and no my ford touch. The car was used with 34,000 miles 11 months ago (rental) and it now has 52,000. This is a completely honest review of this car. Comfort wise it is pretty awful. It seems no one talks about how rock hard the front seats are, and how it becomes unbearably uncomfortable after 2 hours in the seats, and I am definitely NOT fat. The road noise is insane, but this car has original tires on it. The transmission (automatic) is horrible. It constantly jerks and shudders into gears and when it shifts, it brings the RPM's so low that all the torque is gone. You have to keep the car above 3000RPM to actually move. I think thats enough ranting.

Ford Focus 2012 Titanium : Nightmare
By gillesm on 05/28/13 12:28 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The ford Focus 2012 Titanium Last september 2011, i have bought a Ford Focus 2012 Titanium. That day was the day when i did my worst error ever . Just one week later – not one year, but one week – i was driving in Montreal city when strange noises were coming out from transmission. At low speed and especially during a stop and go situation, some strong vibrations and stalling occured regularly. Since september 2011, i visited Ford dealer more often than the last 10 years driving Honda and Toyota. Despite - so far - four computer update trying to resolve that transmission nigthmare, the situation got worse.

Good Commuter
By ficklest on 05/13/13 12:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Love the car! Purchased in late December - 12,000 miles on it already! My commute is 102 miles per day. Looks great, very comfortable ride. Combined mileage is 32.5 - some bumper to bumper and some highway speed. Exactly as expected. I am experiencing the same low gear shudder/shaking that everyone is talking about, and I'm going to take it to the dealership to have them check it out - just to get it on record. It does not, however, seem to affect the way the car drives, other than being a little finicky when downshifting.

Economy with Style
By rockdog77 on 05/03/13 13:29 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We took delivery of our 2012 Ford Focus Titanium 5dr Hatchback in Blaze Yellow in Jan 2012. It now has over 18,000 trouble free miles on it and is our main family car. We have had it in for 2 updates, and I have processed 2 sync updates at home which were lengthy but fairly easy. The daily commute is over 40 miles and we have averaged 32-33 mpg since new. On long highway trips we can usually get 41 mpg. Overall we love the car and feel we made the right decision.

Don't buy it!
By sharon63 on 04/23/13 10:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my Focus in 2012 with 27k miles on it. I sold it 8 months later with 47k. The dealership even let me take it home for 3 days to make sure i really wanted it. Fair enough. But 1 wk after the purchase it started bucking especially when going up a hill and in the 1st and second gear.intermittantly. I traded a Mazda 3 manual and it felt like somebody was driving it that didn't know how to shift, and that wasn't me, because this is an automatic transmission. I took it in 3 times and was told that's how it drives. Then the engine light came on. took it back in and they replaced the clutch and it fixed the problem. also, the vaporizer was bad. Nothing but a headache.

I just Don't know
By zhuber07 on 02/10/13 17:57 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus around thanksgiving in 2011. Bought it brand new and was happy with it while test driving. For the first 6 months, it ran fine. But after that 6month point, started having problems. If I stop at a light, I have stalled(this is an automatic), where I have to change to Park or neutral, then put it back into drive. Each gear shift creates very large shudder noises as if my transmission is about to die. My radio has not turned on before or just got stuck and not turn off. Handling is great, and when it does go, it can getup and go for the kind of car it is. I drive decently, but never hit the MPG mark they have advertise

Short time fun car
By daisk on 02/08/13 11:00 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Iv only owned the car for 3 days now, it was used with 36000 miles on it pretty high. was prevously a rental car. Anyway the drive seems its smooth and fast. the sync seems to work fine for me mostly just use it for audio at this point. so far im very satisfied with this car if that ever changes ill post a reply.

nothing but regret
By jamussel on 02/07/13 14:45 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

the worst car i've ever owned. 2012 ford focus with 30,000 mile and been in the shop more than all my other cars and trucks over the last 20 years combined. junk. gas milage is a joke. 26 mpg combined. 31 mpg all hwy. terrible transmission as everyone says. mine buzzes and rattles from the head liner and the dash. don't even think about this car. called ford for their buy back program and they just said no. no other help. they could care less. never buying another ford and i'm selling the stock i own. should have bought a Kia... or anything else.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*