2012 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Don't buy this car!
By thecarguy112 on 06/12/13 12:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought a 2012 Focus with leather, and no my ford touch. The car was used with 34,000 miles 11 months ago (rental) and it now has 52,000. This is a completely honest review of this car. Comfort wise it is pretty awful. It seems no one talks about how rock hard the front seats are, and how it becomes unbearably uncomfortable after 2 hours in the seats, and I am definitely NOT fat. The road noise is insane, but this car has original tires on it. The transmission (automatic) is horrible. It constantly jerks and shudders into gears and when it shifts, it brings the RPM's so low that all the torque is gone. You have to keep the car above 3000RPM to actually move. I think thats enough ranting.

Ford Focus 2012 Titanium : Nightmare
By gillesm on 05/28/13 12:28 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

The ford Focus 2012 Titanium Last september 2011, i have bought a Ford Focus 2012 Titanium. That day was the day when i did my worst error ever . Just one week later – not one year, but one week – i was driving in Montreal city when strange noises were coming out from transmission. At low speed and especially during a stop and go situation, some strong vibrations and stalling occured regularly. Since september 2011, i visited Ford dealer more often than the last 10 years driving Honda and Toyota. Despite - so far - four computer update trying to resolve that transmission nigthmare, the situation got worse.

Good Commuter
By ficklest on 05/13/13 12:58 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Love the car! Purchased in late December - 12,000 miles on it already! My commute is 102 miles per day. Looks great, very comfortable ride. Combined mileage is 32.5 - some bumper to bumper and some highway speed. Exactly as expected. I am experiencing the same low gear shudder/shaking that everyone is talking about, and I'm going to take it to the dealership to have them check it out - just to get it on record. It does not, however, seem to affect the way the car drives, other than being a little finicky when downshifting.

Economy with Style
By rockdog77 on 05/03/13 13:29 PM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

We took delivery of our 2012 Ford Focus Titanium 5dr Hatchback in Blaze Yellow in Jan 2012. It now has over 18,000 trouble free miles on it and is our main family car. We have had it in for 2 updates, and I have processed 2 sync updates at home which were lengthy but fairly easy. The daily commute is over 40 miles and we have averaged 32-33 mpg since new. On long highway trips we can usually get 41 mpg. Overall we love the car and feel we made the right decision.

Don't buy it!
By sharon63 on 04/23/13 10:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my Focus in 2012 with 27k miles on it. I sold it 8 months later with 47k. The dealership even let me take it home for 3 days to make sure i really wanted it. Fair enough. But 1 wk after the purchase it started bucking especially when going up a hill and in the 1st and second gear.intermittantly. I traded a Mazda 3 manual and it felt like somebody was driving it that didn't know how to shift, and that wasn't me, because this is an automatic transmission. I took it in 3 times and was told that's how it drives. Then the engine light came on. took it back in and they replaced the clutch and it fixed the problem. also, the vaporizer was bad. Nothing but a headache.

I just Don't know
By zhuber07 on 02/10/13 17:57 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback Titanium 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus around thanksgiving in 2011. Bought it brand new and was happy with it while test driving. For the first 6 months, it ran fine. But after that 6month point, started having problems. If I stop at a light, I have stalled(this is an automatic), where I have to change to Park or neutral, then put it back into drive. Each gear shift creates very large shudder noises as if my transmission is about to die. My radio has not turned on before or just got stuck and not turn off. Handling is great, and when it does go, it can getup and go for the kind of car it is. I drive decently, but never hit the MPG mark they have advertise

Short time fun car
By daisk on 02/08/13 11:00 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

Iv only owned the car for 3 days now, it was used with 36000 miles on it pretty high. was prevously a rental car. Anyway the drive seems its smooth and fast. the sync seems to work fine for me mostly just use it for audio at this point. so far im very satisfied with this car if that ever changes ill post a reply.

nothing but regret
By jamussel on 02/07/13 14:45 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SEL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6AM)

the worst car i've ever owned. 2012 ford focus with 30,000 mile and been in the shop more than all my other cars and trucks over the last 20 years combined. junk. gas milage is a joke. 26 mpg combined. 31 mpg all hwy. terrible transmission as everyone says. mine buzzes and rattles from the head liner and the dash. don't even think about this car. called ford for their buy back program and they just said no. no other help. they could care less. never buying another ford and i'm selling the stock i own. should have bought a Kia... or anything else.

Price/Quality
By nataliasturza on 02/04/13 08:07 AM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my focus se for about half a year now and drove almost 6.000 miles. It was used with about 30.000 miles, however, can say for sure, I am totally in love with this car. The performance is above average, I have about 32 MPG, although, read the previous comments about 35-40, so will work on my driving skills improvement. The driving process is smooth and light, sometimes it seems that it drives by itself. Besides, I completely adore the design of the car, the big "eyes" and pretty "butt" always catch attention. I was debating between Nissan Versa, Mazda 3 and Ford Fiesta and now can say for sure, I made the right choice. Natalia.

The best non-turbo hatchback available.
By redcomet on 01/31/13 23:57 PM (PST)

2012 Ford Focus Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a '12 Focus SE Sport hatchback with the manual MTX-75 5-speed transmission and 17-inch option wheels, 203A package in May of 2012, and so far am very satisfied with the car. At the price point ($20k), it's an extremely competent little car. The engine has a lot of get up and go (with the TCS off especially), excellent handling, a great gearbox, and a very refined ride. The car regularly returns a combined fuel economy over 30mpg average, and I've gotten nearly 40mpg on the highway. The stock ContiProCotact Continental 215/50/17 tires are alright, though they're holding up surprisingly well in a Northeast winter. Overall, a very fun, affordable, chuckable car. Kudos to Ford

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback in VA is:

$127 per month*