Used 2004 Ford Focus ZX3 Premium Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
Simply Incredible
By Andrew Henderson

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This will be my 3rd focus purchase in the last three years. I run my own business and I travel everyday! The Focus is the answer to the ever so rising gas prices. I have gone through such models as the SE, ZTS, and now the ZX3 Premium. I purchased my first focus in 2001 and haev traded them in every year becasue Ford has made imporvements every year on them. It trully the best economical car out there!

Favorite Features

The favorite feature would have to me in Dash 6-CD changer with MP3 playback. The moo roof, power windows/locks, perimeter alarm and much much more are centainly worth the $15,000 for the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The only one problem I have with the focus lines in the braking system. Once your brakes make that annoying squeaking there, is no way to get rid of it. Other than that I am very satisfied with my purchases.

:( Poor Gas Mileage
By drocksme

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love the sporty look of this car. Fun to drive, easy to park - I live in the city.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, which was optional. It's the closest thing I'll ever get to a convertible!

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage: I've had my 2004 ZX3 Premium for about a month now. I've gotten no where near 200 miles for a gallon of gas for city driving. I thought I was supposed to get around 340. It's well past the breaking in point.

Worst car ever, beats my 83 cavalier
By bryan

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A money pit. If I had to rely on this car for above average use I would have been in trouble many times. For a small car the mileage is below avg-my last trip I couldn't even get 30 mpg hwy/22-23city. The transmission fluid had to be changed at 40k - it's synthetic and cost over $200. The alternator went out at 48k-the engine must be jacked-up to release the alternator so it near impossible for an owner to do.You are looking at $400-700 cost due to labor and parts. The ignition lock seized at 45k-must be towed to the dealer to be fixed due to the anti-theft chip. Around $500. Now at 56k the thermostat housing and valve cover gasket are leaking-Parts and labor will cost you around $500.

Favorite Features

Hatchback is good for storage; the ride quality is good for a small car for short commutes and long trips. Exterior design is sharp and unique.

Suggested Improvements

Don't get one, the new focus is even smaller inside than my '04, and the reliability is not any more certain. Gas mileage has barely improved, and only for hwy driving.

So Far So Good
By jimstoic

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The only problems I've experienced in my first month have to do with the paint job: I've gotten two chips off the paint on the hood. I dropped the car by an independent body shop, where I was told the chipping, while lamentable, was not unusual for any car that had been hit by a pebble on the road.

Favorite Features

It's got a really sporty feel for such a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

Me and my Focus are inseparable!
By Kate in OKC

2004 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 Premium 2dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I don't make a lot of money, and so price is the first thing I look at. Gas milage is second. I wanted to get rid of my clunker and find a reliable new car that I could feel safe and comfortable in and yet looked ultra- cool. Enter the Ford Focus. The roomy interior easly accomidates me and three friends plus luggage. The steering is ultra senstive and its got plenty of power and speed to aid in any driving emergency. I get between 25 and 35 mpg. I haven't found a car that's easier to drive or more fun! It's excellent ride on short and long trips is definately a plus. It's no secret, the next car I buy will be another Ford Focus.

Favorite Features

Stereo system (cd/mp3/radio), front bucket seats, new armrest with storage compartment. Best feature by far, the Focus hatchback's ability to transform into a mini truck. I hauled several tables, chairs, lawn funature, and even a twin mattress set thanks to the this feature.

Suggested Improvements

As far as I am aware, power seats and windows are still not offered on the Focus. Neither of mine had this feature and it would definately be my request.