2007 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Old-style power and reliability
By Polychrest on 02/22/08 14:22 PM (PST)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This iteration of the Explorer has been given a bad rap by the Consumer Reports mavens. It's a competent, comfortable, reliable ride with only one bad habit: it drinks too much. If you need serious hauling capacity, sweet highway manners, bad-weather & bad road capability, and aren't averse to a little interior luxury, this ride deserves a look. I've had it for almost a year, and it's been a pleasure from day one. It laughs at winter (and we've had a bad one so far).

The Best SUV in the market
By ptyexplorer on 02/06/08 09:05 AM (PST)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Enjoy the driving of the car. I drive long distance, it is comfortable, excellent acceleration, handling is great. Drives similar to my Mercedes Benz. Great improvement from the previous model. Dashboard is elegant, and instrument panel are easy to read. Great features, such as suede, heated seats, memory seats and on-board computer.

Versatile family vehicle
By PT on 01/29/08 10:00 AM (PST)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a 1 year old rental through a dealer - $20K less than new price. Alternatives considered were mini-vans (domestic and Japanese), other mid size Japanese SUVs. Though reputation was strong for Toyota, I found Highlander was very cheap feeling and felt I was doing better here. After 4 months with the vehicle, I am very happy with it. No problems, good fuel economy (highway) though nasty when driving only short distances in town with a cold engine. Traction and control in Canadian winter is amazing, easily able to take logging roads that left other vehicles stranded - with barely a reaction from the traction control system.

Great SUV
By Ford07EB on 11/11/07 18:38 PM (PST)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Picked up the Explorer in March of 07, so far it has been one of the best SUVs that I have owned. Taking it to Vegas twice getting about 22mpg. Feels and handles great. Acceleration from 0- 40 great no problems at all. I opted for the V-6 engine since I only drive on the highway and don't do any heavy towing. DVD Entertainment system was a must for my 2 year old daughter. Overall I am very happy with my Ford.

People with hobbies
By mtb guy on 11/07/07 11:56 AM (PST)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I've had my explorer for about a year now and i still hate it. first off i'm a mountain biker. When i tried to haul a trailer full of weight weenis CrossCountry mountain bikes the Explored bogged down. also there needs to be some fairly substantial mud flaps on this car. Very disapointing V8. No one can figure out where the inner door handles are and the outside look is about as plain as you can get. this car is unbelievably clumsy and lurpish in real 4 wheelin situations i don't trust it.

Quiet Ride
By Max on 10/31/07 13:09 PM (PDT)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

My 2007 Explorer rides very well, the seats are comfortable, and the interior noise is minimal. The driver buttons/controls are well laid out. The tan leather seats look dirty after six months, and the leather does not continue into the rear pockets in the seat backs. The V8 drives nicely, and the transmission is very smooth, except when coming to a stop, where it jerks forward and makes a clunking sound when from 2nd to 1st gear. The dealer recalibrated the transmission...issue is not resolved at this time.

1st Year
By theledgers on 09/24/07 09:19 AM (PDT)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We just are getting to the one year anniversary of our Explorer. We love it! Plenty of room for our kids and their soccer, baseball, volleyball stuff, etc. We just finished a trip to Houston, about 350 miles round trip and got our best mpg yet, a little over 22 hwy! That was with mid-grade fuel and running 75 mph for the most part with some Houston traffic built in. Here's hoping the 2nd yr report is as positive!

Ironman
By Michael on 09/24/07 06:49 AM (PDT)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Ford really hit a home run with the Ironman package! Not only do I like exterior appearance with the black cladding but the two-tone interior against the metal look dash sets off nicely. The heavy duty rubber floor mats are perfect for an SUV. The only thing Ford could do better is fit and finish. They do such a good job everywhere else I hope that they can get everything to line up better in future models.

Great Mid Size SUV
By Chris on 08/30/07 20:33 PM (PDT)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had my Explorer for just over 3 weeks now and just love it! I have had Ford Trucks for about 18 years and wanted something with more room. It drives so much nicer than a truck and I find myself alot more comfortable in the Explorer. I love the chrome both inside and out and feel that Ford made some great choices on the interior. Sure the rear headrests are big but I just fold them down and have no problem seeing out. The V-6 is fine for me since I don't plan on hauling anything and the ride is nice and smooth, handling is great! The Explorer is built solid and has a great design with quite a bit of room inside. I'm lovin' it! and feel you would also...

Love This SUV
By Robert P on 08/05/07 09:03 AM (PDT)

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drove the Toyota 4 Runner, Jeep, Hummer H3, Comander and Nissan Pathfinder. All were OK but the Explorer won out. It had more room and the ride was great. I had a 95 and this one stickerd for $5,000 less with similar options etc. I cannot believe how much better it got in 2 years. I got the Iron Man because I do not like to be a little different. Unlike the 05 the back is totally flat. I just love this SUV. I am 62 and drive on the beach so a 4X4 was a must. I had 0 porblems with the 05 with just over 40.000 miles. I leased that one. I bought this one because I plan on keeping it 10 + years and put to many miles on the last one.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.