Still Getting My Money's Worth
By WNYFordGuy on
2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
My Dad recommended it because of the rebates/incentives/Z-plan discount. I was sold on the 3rd-row seat and very smooth ride. 52k miles later, I haven't been disappointed - it's been great for hauling kids/equipment to sports events, camping trips, and my short commute to work on our rough winter roads. Its interesting to read the other reviews - how can you complain about fuel economy (I get 15-16 MPG) when you run a heavy SUV with a relatively powerful 4.0 V6? I have no qualms about the tranny (though it whines in extreme cold at certain RPMs), even if it 'clunks' into reverse occasionally. I agree that the rear hatch trim is lousy. For what I paid, its been a pretty good value.
Favorite Features
See above, plus: great exterior styling, awesome CD/cassette sound system, super-bright high-beams, extremely comfortable/roomy interior, temperature/compass display.
Suggested Improvements
I wish this had a 5-spd manual transmission like the 97 XLT I previously owned. This SUV does eat brakes - fronts completely replaced at 26.5k & 50.5k. I think the quality of the 'genuine' FoMoCo parts is getting poorer; things like glass hatch hinges, trim, and front wheel bearings are lousy.