2000 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Better with age

2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L V6)

Better with age
By steve on

2000 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV

I sold my 1999 Miata (sigh) - needed more room, haul a trailer, etc. I purchased my Limited with 87,000 miles on the clock. After replacing the original shocks and doing a tune-up we loaded it up and headed on a 6,000 mile vacation. Once I got used to the very truckish handling (a shock after the "your thoughts are my command" demeanor of the Miata), I learned to love this vehicle. Now at 108,000 miles, I would rate this as (gasp!) one of the most trouble free and usable vehicles I've ever owned. It pulls down a very respectable 17 city/22 hwy fuel economy and handles any chore I throw at it. I also bought a 1998 with a V8. The SOHC V6 performed just as well with double the fuel economy.

Favorite Features

I love the MACH sound system and the steering wheel controls, the heated seats are nice in the winter and the AC does a super job. Oh, and did I mention great gas mileage?

Suggested Improvements

A little wider footprint and lower center of gravity (as per the 2002 model) and a little less nervous suspension would make this a well rounded vehicle.