2000 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Love this little truck!
By azgirl on 07/12/10 15:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

Bought this truck used with 70k miles on it. It has been a champ. I have only had to replace the fuel pump in 6 years of owning it. It has 153k on it now and it's still going strong. Made me a believer in Fords. I really love this little truck. I have the 2 door model, and even after the surprise of a baby, the roominess has served me well. Great car for around town, could do with better gas mileage, but on the highway it does OK. Really the most reliable car I have ever owned. Would recommend to anyone.

I love it!
By Tracy on 07/28/08 11:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

This is by far the best vehicle I've had. It looks great, it's the perfect size, and it's really great on gas! If you're looking for a small SUV I would highly recommend this one!

It does what is can
By rustygray on 07/26/06 09:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought mine used from a dealer. I got a great deal, and the vehicle has been solid, fun to drive, and it starts daily, and with better tires and new shocks, it handles pretty well . But it is an SUV not a sports car, so as with any high centered vehicle, driver responsibility is a must. Mine is a 5 speed, and easy to toss around, slide sideways, and fun in the mud and dirt. Keep the oil changed, rotate tires, and air filter every 3k miles, should be okay.

Why did I buy this? The Worst
By msqvc513 on 01/11/06 17:11 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

First complaint is the two doors and how you have to get out to let people in and out there's no way around it. Kinda stinks when it's raining you know? Then you gotta be a bit of a contortionist to get back there and out, and they don't give you much space for this. Crummy little windows in the back make you claustrophobic. Okay and THE GAS MILEAGE is horrendous. That car eats better than I do! The rusty side steps, it's just unacceptable and embarrassing. It's stuffy in there, no way around using the air vent and the A/C and heat are always either freezing or baking you alive. The roof rack paint is peeling. What else? The rusty drums that had to be replaced at 50k miles, the way it stalls in the cold.

I hate my Exploder!
By jonesthai on 12/28/05 19:14 PM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I have taken this excuse of a SUV into the dealer 12 times under warranty (that's including 3 recalls)! Door ajar light has been "fixed" three times and still comes on to this day. All problems include transmission, rear window, rear window washer, tires, ball joint, knocking engine noise (dealer said this was normal!), starter, rusty step bar, etc. I will never buy another Ford, anything owned by Ford, or anything that looks like a Ford again! Please do yourself a favor and look at another company besides Ford.

Never Buy a 2 Door SUV
By jemiller4golf on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I purchased my Explorer Sport new and found that it did not handle well on wet roads and curves. Besides a hefty transmission repair bill, I have had issues with the ABS system, air bag indicator light, and keyless remote system. Before I purchase my next vehicle I will review any Technical Service Bulletins and Recall notices on the National Highway Safety website as I saw a number of issues listed for the Explorer that I am experiencing.

2000 Explorer Sport
By DMan9070 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I bought this vehicle in September of 2003, and for the most part, I have enjoyed driving it. The only major problem I have had has been the transmission, which needed about $2000 worth of work (only part of which was covered by my so-called Used Car warranty). Tip: Don't take it to a Ford dealer for service. A reputable place in your area is probably just as good, if not better and smarter. Lesson learned: Read the fine print of your warranty. Mine would not pay for "genuine Ford parts (gags)," only after-market parts, which the dealer would not do.

Really miss my red '97 Ford F 150 truck!
By NanaD on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I really like the looks of my Exp.Sport,but it is the worst vehicle I ever drove.You feel every bump in the road..and if those bumps are in a curve,the rear will get "squirelly". If you drive in the rain...slow way, way down because you lose traction (rear) on wet roads. I tried other tires with no success in changing this problem.

2000 Explorer Sport
By 5150 on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

If you're going to by an Explorer, you may want to opt for the 4-door instead of the 2-door sport model. It doesn't take corners well at all and the suspension leaves a lot to be desired. It drives like a pickup truck. We've had ours for 4 years. The engine has been fine, with only a sensor going bad. Also, the brakes had to be replaced at only 21,000 miles.

Traded the Mustang
By azure eyes on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr SUV

I got my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport earlier this month when I traded my 1998 Ford Mustang in for it. I needed much more room for my things, with being an art major in school, and a musician. I liked how the Explorer Sport looked rugged and tough-not weak and flimsy like other SUV's. This one works great for people with busy lifestyles, with things to do and stuff to carry. It's fun to pile all of your friends into the Explorer and head out to the beach, or mountains, with the windows down and radio up. It's very fun to drive- I get a lot of compliments on this vehicle.