2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (68 reviews )
Leased for 2 years. Loved every minute.
By cargirl88 on 03/12/14 06:31 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I jumped on a 24-month lease deal that my Chevy dealer was offering to promote this car. I'm coming up on my 30k mi limit and will be turning the Volt in come May. I will miss it. At the end of those 30k, I will have averaged about 110mpg - saving me around $2500 in gas alone from my previous car's 28mpg average (VW Jetta). This was about 7 months' worth of payments ;) I don't know of any other car that can offer this kind of gas savings. I didn't buy because the concept is so new (and expensive), but for the 2 years I had it, it was a pleasure. In a few years, after consistent production and refining, I will most definitely consider buying.

Excellent car but beware if you have an accident!
By urbanlegend711 on 11/15/13 06:51 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have been really impressed with the car overall. It has great acceleration, handles beautifully and didn't give me a single problem in 1.5 years and 22k miles. I had a minor front-end collision in September and the car still ran when I left it. Apparently because it's a hybrid the electronics need to be disconnected for welding. The car went to a dealer to have this done, the body shop then repaired it, but now...2 and a half months later, the dealer cannot get the car to run at all. Repairs appear to be very involved, expensive and risky with this car.

2013 Chevy Volt
By standres on 07/23/13 12:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased the Chevy Volt 2013 in June 2013 and I already drove over 1500 miles and I had only put in gasoline (not premium) three times. The gasoline tank capacity is about 9.5 gallons (full). The car was making 51 miles only using the battery and about 43mpg using the gasoline alternator, so about driving 94miles with the use only 1gallon of gasoline. Smooth drive when is using the battery, a little vibrating and nose when using the gasoline alternator. The front seats are manually operated. Already from the 2012 model has not yet change in this 2013 is the lack of space for the rear passengers (legs and head).

2012 Chevy Volt
By stratoguy on 06/12/13 19:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased this car on May 31, 2012. I have had the car now for almost 13 months and I have only put in gasoline after 12 months and only because it said the gas was going stale so I should add gas. It came with 9.5 gallons (full) and so I only used 7 gallons in one year and over 9500 miles. It is amazing. Because I mostly drive the car optimumly by the computer suggestion of keeping the Turning Earth in the center target, I usually get between 44 and 48 miles per charge which is enough for me to do most of my errands and tasks without running the gas generator most of the time. The cost here in CA for a full charge of electricity to go those 44-48 miles is only $1.50. Amazing.

Great design BUT poor implementation by GM
By ronmaf on 03/23/13 20:56 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased two Volts, One for my wife and one for myself in July 2012. We drove them all over. One went to Baltimore the other to Tampa. The car averaged 130 MPG. at the 7th month of ownership I started hearing this loud sound like an electric Drill every time I coated to a stop of hit the brakes. I gave the car to the dealer, it took them a week to fix. 10 days and 300 or so miles later the car has the same obnoxious sound. I went back to the dealer. This time they called in a GM Engineer to take a look. They have had it for a week already with no fix in sight. I really loved the technology of the car, but GM cannot get the quality right. there is the GM-Volt forum with more info.

100 mpg +++++
By borchone1 on 03/04/13 13:04 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Over 5900 miles and used 21 gallons of gas and $135 elect. ZERO problems. Handles great in snow. Heater is great. Grandkids stay warm in back at 0 degrees. Yesterday drove 54 miles and total cost elect and gas was $2.33 and it was 34 degrees outside. 34 miles in elect and 20 miles on gas. Summer gives me 45-50 miles on elect. Cost me at most 69 cents to charge per night. Special time of day rates with elect. co. Great car and only stopped at for gas 3 times in 7 mos. Fast, fun and great car. One of best cars i'ved owned out of 41. Great car GM and thanks to Pres. George Bush for helpping get this started.

Volt is a No-Brainer over Prius
By ntvolt on 01/25/13 23:56 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

It's like a game driving this car, to see how far I can go. I average 45-53 miles on a single charge. 3 year lease is Cheaper than a regular Prius BEFORE the $1,500 CA rebate. Volt = $329 MO vs. Prius at $299 MO. Volt is $1,080 more over 36 mos. But you get a $1,500 rebate on the volt, bringing the 3 year cost from the time you walk in the dealer till the time you turn it in to $420 less than a Prius. 36,000 miles each, Prius will use 720 gallons of gas no matter what at $4 per gal. = $2,880. If you drive less than 40 miles a day, Volt will cost you $0 in gas and about $1.50 per full charge for 40 miles. $1,350 for 36,000 miles. 3 year savings = $1,950

Free Car
By bluevolt on 01/25/13 12:52 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I just bought a volt and am actually being paid to drive it. I put zero down financed at 0%. My payments come to $5,800 a year for six years. I get paid a $9,000 tax credit (live in California). I save $2,000 a year on gas and $500 a year on tolls ($15,000 over six years). So, even if the car loses half of it's value, at the end of six years I own a car worth $17,500 and my out-of-pocket expense came to only $11,000. In other words, I get to drive a car for six years and am essentially paid $6,500 to do so.

Good car - Lousy people
By woodybap on 01/22/13 21:23 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I am so [non-permissible content removed]! First the damn Volt is dead in my own driveway. Four months old and it goes feet up. No prob, I think, we have Onstar. Onstar tries about 3 times and then tells me that the car has apparently shut down due to some security glitch. The car needs to be towed to a dealership. Numerous calls between me and Roadside Assistance. They tell me that they can provide me with the number of their outfit that arranges loaner vehicles. Turns out that number is to a service that apparently does nothing more than provide the names of local rental car agencies. A glorified phone book, if you will. Heck, I could do better with Google. So the tow truck guy shows up. Has no clue

Purchased a used Volt
By tdj1 on 12/22/12 16:58 PM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have been driving Hondas and Acuras all my life. With the kids grown, I decided to look for a replacement for my Honda Pilot. I narrowed my choice between a Prius and a Volt. I test drove both. The Volt was more fun to drive and felt like it was built better. I was very surprised. I rarely drive much more than 40 miles a day. I'm VERY happy with my Volt. I spent all day running errands and didn't burn a drop of gas.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback in VA is:

$122 per month*