Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

2006 Malibu-"Just a Car"
By dannielle boilard

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I traded my 2002 Olds Intrigue for the 2006 Malibu which is a roomy small car. It is very light and blows around on the highway...over 100 kph is almost dangerous. I don't drive on the freeway because I can't keep up with the regular flow of traffic which is faster than that. I saved some money by trading in my Olds, but I know that I traded my Automobile for "just a car". It is way below the standard of comfort and performance that I was used to. I can't wait for the lease to end so that I can get rid of it.

Suggested Improvements

Make the Malibu heavier, more aerodynamic so that it is not all over the road when being driven at highway speeds.

Fastest Mid Size Car I Ever Drove
By steve,douglass

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had the car a month. I love it. I like the handling, the style, the performance, and the quick pick up on the highway. And all the standard features which got me the most. It is a very sporty looking and very classy looking as well. The interior is very comfortable, more comfortablel than the Camry. For a 6 cyclinder car the gas mileage is not as bad as I thought it would be. Bottom line it's a great car and I highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

Auto start heated seats. OnStar steering wheel mounted audio controls. It is so much safer to change the station and select the songs on the CD you want. The fog lamps, the automatic climate control. The rearview auto-dimming, with the eight-point compass. Heated outside mirrors, the adjustable pedals.

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel on the LTZ and the on on the SS should be both the same 3 spoke sport wheel. Also i thing the LTZ should come with a standard 6 disc in dash CD changer.

Wife's new '06 Malibu LS 4DR
By MalibuJeff

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The new Malibu LS was a compromise between a new Toyota Avalon (price), Hundi Sonata (she didn't like the way the interior felt), and the Mercury Milan (wasn't available at end of year with options she wanted, and had OHC belt driven engine that didn't match the 'bu's highway gas mileage). The 'O6 'bu ran out very well when test driven, but developed irritating rattles after about 1000 miles, which the dealer fixed. At the first cold weather, the heater vent control motor started to howl, which again was replaced on warranty. Other than that, no major problems to complain about.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, XM satellite radio

Suggested Improvements

Put a bit more quality in up front to eliminate "aparrently engineered-in rattles". Have had the same issue with the last 5 GM vehicles owned.

A Sleeper
By Never too old

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used, with less than 4,000 miles, and I've put about 2,000 on it to date. I've been very satisfied with every aspect of this car so far with 2 exceptions - torque steer and fuel economy, as mentioned in other reviews. The handling, suspension, and performance are very good. Seats are comfortable, and controls are easy to reach. Steering wheel buttons for radio and cruise control are a bit small, however. This car may not be a Lexus, BMW or other high priced sports/luxury car. It is what it is. But I like being different from everyone else. You don't see a Malibu SS at every corner, and it's fun to have people say "a Super Sport? I didn't know Chevy made it!"

Favorite Features

Remote start. Distinctive looks. Great steering feel. Nice paint and clearcoat, very easy to wash and dry. 6 disc stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Five speed auto trans with a better final drive ratio to improve highway fuel mileage. Sportier gauge package with oil pressure, water temp, etc. Larger fuel tank

Fun to Drive
By Bob

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced an '06 Cadillac CTS with this car, mainly because the lease was up and I need an automatic transmission. The SS looked better than a base and I figured it would be fun to drive. So far it has met my expectations. It is quick around town and comfortable on long trips. MPG around 16 city in sprited driving. No problems except for warped brake rotors, replaced under warranty. I bought this car to keep for several years and believe it will suit my needs.

Favorite Features

Quick, decent handling and brakes. 18" wheels look good.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the electric temperature control- prefer manual.