Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

371,000 miles and counting
By Brendan Blue

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Well I've had my Chevy Malibu since 2006. I currently have 371,000 miles. NEVER had a major problem. Only tuned up once or twice. Have two cars but I prefer to drive my Malibu !

Check the undercoating
By laurel

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I noticed last year that the black undercoating was just peeling away from the rear tire walls..and a few months later from the front! what the hell? of course its no longer under warranty, and got no where with gm. so there is no rust proofing left, am waiting for it to rust out from under me, being in the northeast, it will happen. Im thinking I should sell it before that happens and buy a toyota. I'm sure the 7 year rust through warranty has a catch, so we will see. The dealer will charge me a couple hundred bucks to fix the problem. I'm not sure what to do at this point but there is my rant!

It is reliable

undercoat better! make the plastic a little tougher so everything doesn't need to be superglued back together.

Worth the money
By David Leptich

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in July 2006 with 13,000 miles. I now have 87,000 miles and am looking at my first set of brakes and new tires. I have had some front end work done both under warranty and last year for tie rods. This car gets about 34 miles to the gallon on rural roads. The interior controls are well placed and good to use when driving. The seats are comfortable in the front and serviceable in the back. Trunk room is good and the rear seats fold down for extra cargo room. I paid $13,500 used and I am pleased with the car.

34 mpg and good handling.

The front end seems to need to much service for 87,000 miles.

Worst Car I've ever Bought
By robdiddy

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 4000 miles on it, rattle in dash at 10k. Torque Converter went at 40k. The stock tires were horrible and made loud noise on the road. The interior of the car stained when it rained. The dashboard rattle became louder as time went on. Despite attempting to tighten everything in the dash, nothing fixed it. The catalytic converter clogged at 50k. At that, I turned the car in and took my losses. I spent 4k on the car in repairs in 2 years and it was draining me.

Better interior, better quality transmission, more performance in engine and redesign the dash so it doesn't gradually become loose and rattle.

great first car
By first car

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I got this Malibu after I had a 2000 Chevy silverado. It had a lift and big tires so it got about 17 mpg hwy. This car is such a difference, and gets such good gas mileage. From going state to state in that truck. That's a lot of gas. But when I got this, it isn't the most comfortable, and I miss siting so high up in a truck. But I live in Chicago and I drove to Arizona in my truck because it was like driving a living room. But my wallet got really skinny. So I drove the car, I only had to stop to get gas 4 times. That's awesome! The truck, I had to stop about 14-15 times. The only problem with the car, because I bought it used, was the steering arm. My son will have this car when he's 16.

good gas mileage, good starter car

seats uncomfortable, brakes squeak when brakes aren't on