Nice Car, But One BIG Issue People Need To Know About
By falconeddy on
2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
There is a part in the transmission known as the 3-5-R clutch wave plate, or just the 'wave plate'. It has been discussed in depth on many forums for those of us that own an earlier GM, Lambda-designed based vehicle. Outlook, Acadia, Enclave, Traverse; not all model years are affected. The wave plate has an exceptionally high rate of failure, and we've speculated the possibly of reverse installation (it's a large toothed ring). They're covered under warranty up until 100,000 miles or 5 years. After that, you get to pay the $3000.00 (or more) bill yourself. So far, GM has refused to acknowledge the problem, but we're still trying to get them to do something about it. BEWARE OF THIS ISSUE!!!
Favorite Features
Quiet Tuning
Suggested Improvements
A redesign for better visibility and less blind spots
By mjmetzler
on 07/31/12 13:37 PM (PDT)

My wife?s wave plates went at 54,866 mi and the certified service center said we were out of warranty by 2 days, but they would fix it. I was like really for one thing you should fix it since my wife only uses the vehicle to go to work and when we go on family vacations. So I classify it as light duty driving. They did fix it and I was ready to trade it in on a Honda vehicle, except my wife is attached to this car that 2 weeks later the air conditioner stopped working. This started a year earlier and the service manger told my wife to turn off the air conditioner off and put the windows down for 30 minutes. Every time the air condintioner would stop working that is what they told her. So when I brought that to his attention he said that I never said that and I said yes you did since the call was placed on On-Star. He had nothing to say after that. I am a union electrician, except I have bought nothing but foreign made truck that I have never had a problem with, I would buy American except these defects in production are unacceptable and plus I dislike putting new brakes on this Enclave every year. Now the steering column is making a squeaky whining noise. I just wish my wife wasn?t attached to this vehicle or GM would make a drastic acknowledgement to the defects.

By daxg31
on 08/16/12 22:40 PM (PDT)

all the things that you say are happening to my 2008 buick enclave two days ago my transmission broke down in the middle of highway 5 south going to las vegas. so i was forced to have it towed for 120 miles to bring it to the dealer nearest on my place, I have just have the air conditioned repaired two minths ago and now there is a whining sound on my steering wheel im wonderin if there is a recall on the transmission and also on the steering wheel because this car is giving me problem compare to my other car. is GM aware of this problem or defects?