Used 2004 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Love this car
By ggard86

2004 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had this car for one year and a half and still smile every time I get into it. I've taken it on two long road trips 1000+ miles and avg 32 miles on the highway; at home I get about 23. I've had no problems with it and love the once a year oil change. It's a comfortable car and is fast off the line. The exterior and interior style is something BMW should never have left, and in my eyes it has classic lines and a refined German style. The fold down seats and ski bag make a small car easier to swallow. Simply put I love this car and don't mind the car payment.

Overall style and feel, as well as the abundance of features. I never knew how much automatic wipers would change my life. Love the heated windshield fluid and headlight cleaners in the winter. There are so many little things in a BMW others just don't match; for example the flashlight built in.

My dislikes have been fixed in newer models they are: sound system is a little weak, it lacks an aux input, window trim comes unglued. In the winter the frame-less doors tend to be difficult to close. That's it.

best car I've ever owned
By david fulginiti

2004 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

bought my 330i new, has performance pak,most options. never has let me down. drove it thru a flood, snow, ice and 90 plus temps,always make me smile and gets me home. I also own a 2008 M3 and I enjoy this car(330i) more as a daily drive.

seats

would love limited slip differential

Unreal control in snow and ice
By AaronWhite

2004 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2004 325xi for three years now and have enjoyed driving it every minute. I grew up with Mercedes and am used to German engineering, build quality, etc. However, I think the 3 series, particularly the XI (AWD) variants, are very tough to beat. This was confirmed over the weekend when I drove from DC to North Carolina and spent three days driving around in snow and ice in NC. I cannot explain how well the car handles in bad weather. It is truly unreal. When trying to slip and slide, the car takes over, cuts the gas, shifts the traction around to the various wheels and keeps the car in control. No complaints in 60k miles of driving it.

Handling, engine sound, absolutely perfect and smooth automatic shifting, acceleration

Cheap plastic center console looks terrible and does not age well (e.g., coating peels and scratches easily). Stock stereo is terrible!! Lots of speakers but many of them crackle and pop.

I bought a CPO
By HW

2004 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought CPO and have had it for over 3 years. I got the mystic blue with light gray interior. What a nice combo. Have not had one single problem with it. I was concerned about the cloth top but it has been surprisingly easy to maintain. I also burn regular gas to save money and it runs just fine. I think this model is more attractive than the new models.

The brakes will stop this car on a dime. Just awesome. Also, the trunk, with the top down, will hold three sets of golf clubs (you have to take out the woods and lay them on top).

The one thing I do not like is the cost of dealer service. Its outrageous.

Love this car but reliability not great
By J. Brand

2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

There are 3 things I love about this car: 1) Handling and performance, it's a dream to drive on freeways and windy roads. 2) Interior is simple and elegant - I prefer BMW interior of this model period vs the newer BMW design which is unnecessarily complex. 3) Seats are firm and very comfortable for long rides. I sat in the back seat of a friend's BMW 3-series of same year and the surprisingly comfortable ride in the back if you want a smaller car. It would be tight squeeze though for a guy over 6 ft tall but more room than Mercedes C-class in same price range.

Performance, handling, simple interior design, firm/comfortable seats.

Surprising lack of durability of certain items between 40-60K miles, both back door trim/molding fell off, A/C was fixed, cup holder trim peeling, tail light assembly corroded. Hassle factor & repair cost too high without warranty.