Used 2001 Audi TT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Audi Tt - Consumer Reviews

2001 Audi TT Convertible

View reviews for a specific TT model:

Fantastic Car!
By PorscheTech911

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! It handles well, drives well, looks awesome, easy to use, plenty of space for big guys (im 6'3" 300lbs) I would absolutely recommend this car to anyone. The car isn't too bad on maintanance and up keep.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps a turboed 6 cylinder or bigger 4, but not unhappy with what it's got.

Fun, disappointing reliability
By Airspeed

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Fun to drive, handles nicely. But problems problem problems. Too cost conscious in engineering - will never buy Audi again. Stuff that should not happen at below 35,000 miles, and don't happen to my Benz with 120,000 miles! Too many problems to list - bearings, turbo, brake disks, joint boots, instrument panel, rain leaks frying electronics, O2 sensor, all at less than 35k miles! And I'm told by one of my mechanics it's one of the less troublesome recent Audis!

Favorite Features

Design and handling. 15 second convertible top.

Suggested Improvements

Besides making it cute, make it last! Right now, at this price point, I feel like I have been ripped off in build quality!

It's a blast.
By dpwoods

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased used just over 2 years ago, had 40K miles. I added 26K miles and only had a mass air flow sensor fail. This Quattro is great fun stock but if you have the money I highly recommend 18" rims with 235/40ZR 18 tires, cross drilled & vented rotors all around with ceramic brake pads. Also recommend perf chip and machined piston diverter valve. Now it's an absolute blast to drive. Even if you don't do any of the above invest in the diverter valve, the stock part is a poor design and inefficient causing turbo lag while shifting. And for heavens sake change the timimg belt every 60K miles and at the same time change over to a water pump w/metal impeller and v-belt tensioner w/metal roller.

Favorite Features

A gocart that doubles as a commuter car with great gas mileage unless I choose othewise. High tech inside and out, excellent fit and finish. Plenty of after market performance parts.

Suggested Improvements

Fit at least one set of golf clubs in the trunk.

Buyer Beware
By Disapointed in Houst

2001 Audi TT Convertible 180hp Fwd 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Consider the TT a hole that you will pour lots of money into. The reliability is horrible, and the repairs extremely expensive.

Favorite Features

I love the design, turning radius and size of the car.

Suggested Improvements

A car that is well built and doesn't need constant, costly repairs.

Smooth TT
By Smooth TT

2001 Audi TT Convertible 225hp Quattro AWD 2dr Roadster (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

My Audi TT is joy to drive! I purchased my TT in Mar 2006 with 36,000 miles. The handling is amazing! The turbo lag takes getting use to; however, once you master the intricacies of driving the TT you will truly enjoy the full driving experience.

Favorite Features

I love the exterior and interior design. I am sure that my car will become a collector’s item one day.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that Audi provide more quality control and/or a longer warranty to the owners, especially those that are having problems with their TT.