Used 2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific A6 model:

High tech sedan
By High performance sed

2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I use mainly for highway. I replaced air filter with K&N and new irridium plugs. I now get 26 to 28 mpg depending on whether I go 80 or 60 mph. I have had no problems and this car is built by the same people that make Porsche so everything is high performance, even the brake fluid. Thus more maintainance. It costs to go fast. I recently test drove a Mercedes S430 and as soon as I got back in my A6 4.2 it was far superior in road feel and handling. This is a double overhead cam V8 with 5 valves per cylinder. Ferrari is the only other car company with this sofistication. So if you want a mundane sedan this is not for you. This car is a race bred sedan down to the low profile tires.

Favorite Features

Powertrain and handling. Exterior styling. Loaded with features.

Suggested Improvements

High repair cost. But any high performance luxury sedan will cost more than a Ford or Chevy. Comes with the territory.

Go for it.
By ARun

2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I was looking for a pre-owned A4/BMW325/MercC230/LexIS300. The A6 4.2 Quattro wowed me. I have never driven such a smooth car before. Excellent power and handling. The styling is great. Have owned it for a month and it runs great with 52K miles. I am still discovering the features. I have yet not been able to test the Tiptronic system. Still figuring out how to make the telematics and Sirius work. I read each of the reviews on this site and agree with all the positive comments about the car.

Favorite Features

The Bose audio system. Leather seats are more comfortable than BMW. Very spacious. Sun and moon roof. The black color and halogen lights look cool at night. All praise for German engineering.

Suggested Improvements

Wish I could have gotten better mileage. Getting about 15 mpg town running and 20 mpg highway.

Audi A6
By Rayden003

2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I have read some Bulletin Board comments regarding some reliability problems with the Audi A6. My experience has been completely opposite. It is the most reliable and well-built car I have owned. My last car was an Acura TL, also a very reliable car, but the Audi came out ahead on almost every detail. Bought it new in 2002 and after 42,000 miles have never had a single problem.

Favorite Features

Firm seating, nice leather. Smart interior electronics. Excellent climate control with dual climate zones. Acceleration is more than adequate, although, not a barn-burner.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior styling is classic, but rather boring. There are 50 other cars/models which look very much the same.

4.2 quattro..the way to go
By jshuchart

2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

Maybe favorite car ever...I've owned 'em all. Great excelleration...comfort, every option...just wonderful car

Favorite Features

the power..power tilt wheel/memory seats

Suggested Improvements

none

VERY Satisfied
By jsw

2002 Audi A6 4.2 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (4.2L 8cyl 5A)

I now have 9800 miles on my 2002 A6 4.2. It has performed flawlessly, and is as much fun to drive as the three Porsches I've owned (in 70's and mid 80's). It's fast; quiet; beautifully designed interior; interesting, German-type technical features (loaded with them!) and, in the mountains the Quattro is invaluable. I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport M2s for Winter (Tire Rack purchase; they stick like glue, in Boulder snowstorms and on ski trips, even on ice!) and the provided 185/40/17 Contis which were stock, and came with the car. Not a rattle in 10K miles. Dealer service impeccable. I'd buy another one..

Favorite Features

Tiptronic Drive and Sport mode; steering wheel shifters; great seats; surprising power; and stick-to-road Quattro dependable handling, esp. on snowy and icy roads. Sport suspension and great wheels and tires.

Suggested Improvements

Of course -- more power! But it's got plenty.