2001 Audi A6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A6 model:
Fun but a PAIN
By bizbinski on 04/02/14 05:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I've got drive a few cars such as a 2005 Caddy STS, a 2008 caddy CTS, a 2012 Buick LaCrosse, 2014 Caddy ATS, and a 2014 Caddy XTS. Honestly the Audi was the best and most fun car to drive. It handles better than all the rest and feels more like a GT car than a fat 4 door sedan. Although it's such a blast to drive the reliability is garbage. I had it for one month before it was having a misfire . After i got that fixed it ran good for a day now it won't stay running. Also the tubing inside is more brittle than glass. Also both cup holders have broke. I've already dropped about $1000 into it but im suspecting to be dropping more in the near future.

Buy something else
By btheo on 09/14/11 12:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I think my father summed up this car perfectly when he said this car is great... up until 80k miles. Yes, the car has exceptional awd power, fun in the winter along with luxury styling. However the designing of this car is terrible and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise. When my 2.7t's alternator went out it took an entire day to replace. You have to take the front end off just to locate. It's ridiculous!!! the 2.7t is designed to have an extended stay at the mechanic. Over 100 sensors will cause the CEL to appear. In summary, this car is like someone else's pet; its fun to play with, it will make laugh at times but i rather not want to keep it.

Fun to drive, but expensive
By Eric on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car in '04 as a CPO'd car for my wife. Love the 2.7T engine, a blast of a car to drive. Comfortable ride. The downside, expensive to repair, seems every year that we've had it, and especially since the warranties ran out, we've had a $1,500 + repair bill for the year. Recently found that the trans needs work, hopefully this will be the last major item to repair for a long time. We bought the car with only 33,000 on it, we've put maybe 36,000 more miles in 6 yrs.

audi = garbage
By steve on 09/03/10 09:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I knew I was taking a big chance when I purchased this Audi a6 quattro turbo with 109,000 miles given the car's reputation for poor reliability. However, I got it at a great price and was assured from the previous owner that it was well taken care of with all maintenance done as scheduled. With-in 3 weeks problems started, front struts started squeaking, took it to dealer to inspect, that will be $900.00 please. Then a few month's later a/c went out dealer says just $1200.00 please. Then recently all dash lights went out without warning. Dealer says just $800.00 please. Turbo is failing I was told and will have to be replaced within the next 6 month's. Dealer says just $2800.00 please. Never again!

Absolute Tank!
By sjs on 06/03/10 19:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought it back in June of 06' with 131,000 miles on it, it now has 171,000. It was purchased as an extra vehicle for my wife who has tried her hardest to kill it. She has been in three accidents one of them quite serious, we fixed it and it runs and drives great. I change the oil every 5,000 with synthetic of course. I do it myself to save money. It does have some of the leaky issues and the drivers side window is testy, but to its credit its almost 10 years old been put through the ringer by my wife's poor driving skills, and believe me, if you only knew. It is an awesome vehicle. Worth every penny. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Audi. It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

garbage
By steven on 05/24/10 11:31 AM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Where do I begin to tell the story of a car that's been a sin. Purchased this 2001 a6 quattro in March of last year used with 90,000 miles on it. It's been a nightmare ever since. Numerous problems regarding electrical, turbo, and suspension components. I asked the dealer if the car comes with bags of money for all the repairs that it requires and it didn't. Build quality on these cars is horrible. We traded it in recently for a 2010 Kia forte coup sx with a nice long warranty and piece of mind.

Great car but can be expensive
By Keane on 04/13/10 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent engine. Any review that says the power isn't there is way off. It produces almost 100 hp/liter which is excellent. Handling matches the power as well resulting in a very fun car. Also very comfortable on the interior. However, repairs will be expensive(count on that). I replaced both turbos which was roughly $4300. A word of advice is to make sure you have a mechanic who knows audis work on the car, not the guy down the street. Love the car but don't want to end up paying for repairs.

Super car
By Hermannr on 02/16/10 18:55 PM (PST)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

This is our third Audi, was impressed with the first two, (67 and 71) so I took the chance to purchase this one off Ebay for my wife. We've put 35,000 miles on it in the last 4 years and other than regular maintenance, we have had only the alternator fail. Average fuel economy 27 mpg in the summer and 23.5 mpg in the snow. Best fuel economy on a trip so far was 32.1 mpg. It is a little hard on tires (or is that me?) The turbo's really help with the high altitude here. With all the driving we do on gravel and dirt roads, not a single squeak or rattle. Super car.

Fun to drive
By bwb on 12/16/09 09:29 AM (PST)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought the car used w/ 38K miles, now with 110K. Has been a true pleasure to drive, I still get positive comments on it. Great on the highway and fun in the turns. Very comfortable for 4 with room in the trunk. Purchase with eyes open as repairs can get $$. I have an excellent independent mechanic shop (stay away from dealerships (one repair the dealer quoted $1700 to repair, they did it for $400) and with their help, I have to spend 500-2K a year on extra repairs and have never been stranded. Sports seats=will be uncomfortable if you need extra displacement upon seating. Sports suspension=firm ride. Alloy wheel=possible bent rims.

My A6 Deserted Me!
By Don Schwinn on 10/24/09 19:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I wrote a very positive earlier review about how reliable the car was after 6 years of ownership. It must have jinxed me. Since then I've had an $1100 alternator replacement, a frozen front caliper and a broken right front coil spring (the day before I was to trade it in!) I bought a new 2009 Ford Fusion SEL AWD with nav, leather, heated seats, alloy wheels, rear backup sensor, Microsoft Sync, etc for 1/2 the price of a new A6. A close friend of mine who has the same car just spent $4000 in repairs on his 2001 A6.