Skip to main content

$49,000

Save as much as $5,971
Select your trim:
12345...9

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2021 XC90, so we've included reviews for other years of the XC90 since its last redesign.

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Perfect Blend of Tech and Luxury

Texas Pilot BB, 02/08/2020
2020 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Twin Engine Plug-In Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

We bought the XC90 T8 6 Seat Inscription. So much has changed since our 2013 XC90 was manufactured. Compared to the previous interior, Volvo has truly stepped up the design and you now feel like you’re in a true luxury car. The seats are very comfortable, the leather is supple and the inlays and trim are elegant. The shift knob is made of Swedish Crystal which is an elegant touch. The exterior styling is, in my opinion, at the top of the competitors...not to rounded off and not too boxy. The grill has been refreshed slightly and looks elegant without being too gaudy like some other manufacturers. Pure electric mode gives me a range of over 20 miles which is perfect for trips to the store and back or to drop off the kids at school. Compared to solely electric cars, acceleration is sluggish in pure electric mode. Put it in hybrid mode and it is remarkably quick. The primary reason I bought this car was to keep my family safe. Google the independent crash tests by IIHS and compare to the BMW or Audi and you can see for yourself the design of the XC90 is safer. Volvo also has a marketing video touting the engineering that went into making this the safest SUV in the road. I’ve owned Audi’s, BMW’s and Lexus vehicles and this is, hands down, the best car I’ve owned. It perfectly balances styling, eco-driving, and comfort without making a sacrifice for safety. The only negative I will mention is the passenger cup holders in the six seat configuration seem like an afterthought and will likely be broken by my kids...but that should not stop anyone from seriously considering the 2020 XC90.

2 out of 5 stars

Disappointing

JB, 09/03/2021
2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge Plug-In Hybrid T8 Inscription 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

Two months in of which one month in the shop for repairs. A faulty "module" that's responsible for switching between electric and fuel. Basically the car arrived with a faulty module, was not tested by the dealer, leased to me and promptly returned by me. It took two more modules to finally get a good one. So far that is. Because after owning 12 Volvos during my life so far, this should have been the crown jewel. Instead I hear myself saying; don't get this one. Me? I was born in a Volvo. Yet, here we go. The car is definitely unreliable. It sputters. And when it works it really does. Should a nearly $80K car give you that feeling?

1 out of 5 stars
2 out of 5 stars

Love it but….

Nicole, 12/04/2021
2021 Volvo XC90 Recharge Plug-In Hybrid T8 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

I have always been a faithful Toyota girl. Loved both my sequoias but hated the gas mileage. This is my first luxury car and I really want to love it, however I’ve had it just under a year as I literally drive to the shop to pick it up for the 4th time. The ride is nice, fuel efficiency is great but my sequoias never went to the shop for anything other than standard maintenance. At less than 1000 miles in reverse I had a shuddering jolt that happened multiple times. First time in shop no one could find anything wrong. Happened again multiple times so I dropped it off, drive an hour home to get a call that I need to come pick it up and Volvo was acknowledging a problem and had tech journal out with no solution yet. Continued driving and happened so finally I called and demanded they keep it until it was fixed. Said they needed an O ring rebuild kit for the rear differential. After a few days in the shop they say it’s done and just needed an update. Worked great for a bit. About 2 months later my airbag light goes off while driving. After a few key cycles it went off and they said everything was fine. Now flash forward 3 more months I put in drive let my foot off the brake and a terrible shutter and lunge, this time forward instead of back. My power steering light comes on and says pull over safely, check engine and park assist all go off. I have towed to Volvo and when it gets there they’re like what’s wrong there’s nothing going on? They call the next day and say it needed a major upgrade. I really want to love this car I mean I spent 70k dollars on it. I bought the extended warranty because I work in the automotive industry and know how expensive it is to work in Volvo’s. I also will keep a car for a while but I’m worried now what happens when this car is out of warranty. I’ve never needed to update my Toyota’s.

Superb

richardc020, 12/20/2019
2020 Volvo XC90 T5 Momentum 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've the 2019 T5 bought brand new now at 6000mi (I commute by train thus few miles in car) and what a truly superb luxury SUV. I got it namely for seating 7 and stellar renowned safety with style, but all of the owner experience has been immaculate. The buying was a special remotely arranged one to avoid the typically horrifying day of haggling and lies at the dealership, but I went with overseas delivery to have no-haggle pricing and a preferred buying experience. The customization to my needs and wants was complete. Seller communications were completely confidence increasing and the ownership experience has been even better. The app literally does it all with remote start, warming, monitoring, security, logs, and everything with the same distinctly full Volvo design and style cues. The Swedish ideals of just enough ("lagom") are seen with just 1 screen and 6 buttons on the console. The famous Sensus system's speed, full integration, and immense central pleasure enhance the lovely seats, spacious airy cabin, panorama sunroof (standard!), lovely finishings, and clearly superior build quality. Drive experience is great inside the city where we live and outside where we go bi-weekly. The power is snappy and significant with torque available even at highway speeds from the 2.0L turbo-charged engine mated to 10-speed transmission. Finely self-tuning drivetrain smartness adds to the immense amounts of smartness everywhere to entertainment to seamless security (all the fancy stuff quickly becoming widely available in other makes and makers) to the aforementioned app. It's a superb vehicle.

Electronic nightmare

Gran01, 01/13/2021
2020 Volvo XC90 T5 R-Design 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Our NEW Volvo XC 90 has been in for service 5 times since purchased. So far everything has been an electrical problem...AC won’t turn on, screen goes blank, blinkers out, brights won’t work, mirrors won’t adjust, phone calls out and rings and you can’t cut it off, AC won’t turn on...worth mentioning twice when you live in Texas. Twice, these things have gone wrong right before a road trip, being the main reason we bought it. My list is extensive. Very inconvenient! They do resolve the problem each time but this is not what we expected with a luxury brand new vehicle. We contacted Volvo USA but they are unwilling to help in anyway. This is our fourth Volvo, never before have we experienced such issues. Customer service??

12345...9