2020 Volvo XC90 Consumer Reviews

$48,350

Save as much as $13,307
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Superb

richardc020, 12/20/2019
T5 Momentum 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've the 2019 T5 bought brand new now at 6000mi (I commute by train thus few miles in car) and what a truly superb luxury SUV. I got it namely for seating 7 and stellar renowned safety with style, but all of the owner experience has been immaculate. The buying was a special remotely arranged one to avoid the typically horrifying day of haggling and lies at the dealership, but I went with overseas delivery to have no-haggle pricing and a preferred buying experience. The customization to my needs and wants was complete. Seller communications were completely confidence increasing and the ownership experience has been even better. The app literally does it all with remote start, warming, monitoring, security, logs, and everything with the same distinctly full Volvo design and style cues. The Swedish ideals of just enough ("lagom") are seen with just 1 screen and 6 buttons on the console. The famous Sensus system's speed, full integration, and immense central pleasure enhance the lovely seats, spacious airy cabin, panorama sunroof (standard!), lovely finishings, and clearly superior build quality. Drive experience is great inside the city where we live and outside where we go bi-weekly. The power is snappy and significant with torque available even at highway speeds from the 2.0L turbo-charged engine mated to 10-speed transmission. Finely self-tuning drivetrain smartness adds to the immense amounts of smartness everywhere to entertainment to seamless security (all the fancy stuff quickly becoming widely available in other makes and makers) to the aforementioned app. It's a superb vehicle.

Perfect Blend of Tech and Luxury

Texas Pilot BB, 02/08/2020
T8 Inscription Twin Engine Plug-In Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger gas/electric hybrid 8A)

We bought the XC90 T8 6 Seat Inscription. So much has changed since our 2013 XC90 was manufactured. Compared to the previous interior, Volvo has truly stepped up the design and you now feel like you’re in a true luxury car. The seats are very comfortable, the leather is supple and the inlays and trim are elegant. The shift knob is made of Swedish Crystal which is an elegant touch. The exterior styling is, in my opinion, at the top of the competitors...not to rounded off and not too boxy. The grill has been refreshed slightly and looks elegant without being too gaudy like some other manufacturers. Pure electric mode gives me a range of over 20 miles which is perfect for trips to the store and back or to drop off the kids at school. Compared to solely electric cars, acceleration is sluggish in pure electric mode. Put it in hybrid mode and it is remarkably quick. The primary reason I bought this car was to keep my family safe. Google the independent crash tests by IIHS and compare to the BMW or Audi and you can see for yourself the design of the XC90 is safer. Volvo also has a marketing video touting the engineering that went into making this the safest SUV in the road. I’ve owned Audi’s, BMW’s and Lexus vehicles and this is, hands down, the best car I’ve owned. It perfectly balances styling, eco-driving, and comfort without making a sacrifice for safety. The only negative I will mention is the passenger cup holders in the six seat configuration seem like an afterthought and will likely be broken by my kids...but that should not stop anyone from seriously considering the 2020 XC90.

Great SUV - good price/value ratio

teNY123, 07/27/2020
T5 R-Design 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We looked around at different three-row luxury and non-luxury SUVs: BMW X5/X7, Atlas, Audi Q7, Lexus RX/GX and Mercedes. For the money, it’s hard to do a lot better. Sure, BMW was more fun to drive, but the X5 had little 3rd row was tiny, x7 was ridiculously large and priced as such. Audi was nice, but expensive when optioned, Lexus 3rd row was small and MB was very expensive. Volvo struck that sweet spot of feeling luxurious enough, priced well enough and a functional 3rd row backseat. It’s even marginally fun to drive (as much such a car this size can be). The leather is very nice and seats are supportive, most of the tablet functions are easy enough to get to with a good amount of customization. Wonderfully roomy, but doesn’t feel huge even in our constantly double-parked NYC streets. We got one off the lot that has the integrated center booster and I didn’t realize how nice it is. Our little one loves it. Also note - few cars have a real anchored middle seat. This one does - so even without using the booster you can fit 3 kids/car seats across. This can be a huge plus if you have 3 children. The booster just makes our life easy. The safety of Volvo is just the icing on top of it all and one of the biggest factors for us. The moonroof is big and adds airiness to the cabin, the in-door shades in the second row are great, and the sound system is excellent even though it’s not the $3,200 B&W option. Engine may be a T5, but I honestly never feel the need for more power, except of a little turbo lag in the first half a second, which it makes up for quickly afterwards. Some of the things I would like better (cons) is the road noise is a little high for a car in this price range, the gas mileage could be a little better and I wish Apple CarPlay would display on the driver dash and Heads-up display. Seems like such an easy thing to do that would really add to the experience. All in all though, we could not find a better balance of price, luxury, safety and overall value. We actually look forward to driving this car every time even with it being a 3 row suv. It puts a smile on our face which says a lot to me as a former GTI driver. Very happy customer so far.

Ad
Build Your XC90
At a Glance:
  • 7 Colors
  • 8 Trims
  • $49,000starting MSRP

Great Vehicle

Chris R, 04/27/2020
T6 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD w/6 Passenger Seating (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

The XC90 has meet our expectations. Our three row vehicle with bucked seats feels very spacious. Performance (acceleration and handling) has been good and gas mileage not that bad. Handling in snow and dirt roads was solid. The technology features are fantastic. We have had a few minor glitches - rear heating also causing the front fan to blow and blind spot warning not seeming to activate. Our choice of the XC90 was the right one.

Great car but but significant room for improvement

Rahul, 10/21/2019
T6 Momentum 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Twincharger 8A)

Car drives great, could use a little more power, maybe a V6 (I have the T6). Some design features arent the greatest - could use a few more buttons instead of a tablet, microscopic cup holders in a family vehicle? Visibility is horrendous when merging right due to the headrest in the second row. The Park assist is a fun gadget but not practical to use in real life. Pilot assist is buggy and is hair raisingly scary if used on roads with traffic lights or on roads where the lines are even slightly ambiguous. Best to keep it for highways. The tablet looks Tesla like but is not the most practical to control air etc when you are driving.Hands free Tailgate is quite poorly designed and takes a while to get used to. The child booster seat is pretty well designed though.Wish rear sunshades were an option. Why doesnt a 62k_ car have power tilt and telescopic steering and more controls on the seats.