Used 2001 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

Really wanted this car to be better!
By Ryan

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a 2001 S80 with 50,000 miles on it. We kept this car a year and a half and put 40,000 miles on it. I really wanted this to be a great car, but we had nothing but trouble with it. When we bought it the dealer asked if we wanted the warranty and I said no because I know people who had over 300,000 miles on their Volvo's and had no trouble. I should have bought the warranty. We had it about 6 weeks when the ABS module went out. That cost about $800 to fix. A few months after that the car would just die when it was in gear. We got stuck in a traffic jam in Dallas and everytime the car stopped it shut off. I had to keep it in neutral and rev it to keep it from dying. We took it back to the dealership after we got back home and it had a software glitch in the computer. We have several little things that happened also but the final straw was when the transmission went out at 90,000 miles. We finally just traded the car off. It was a super comfortable car and it was great on trips when it worked well. I'm 6'4" and I had plenty of room in the car. It had the potential of being a great car, but the repairs and the glitches just ruined it. Be careful when looking at an early 2000's S80!

only had etm problems
By the volvster

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Just like few other Volvo's around this year I owned the throttle body went. Easy but a little pricey to fix ....other than that great vehicle ..its has 211k miles and still running strong I'll never own anything other than a volvo

Worst car I've ever owned!
By Robert

2001 Volvo S80 T6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car spent more time at the repair shop than on the road. I've never spent so much money in the course of 3 months trying to fix a car! This car was nothing but problems from 75,000 miles and up. Problems such as: faulty sensors,transmission problems, coolant hose, overheating, radiator, massive oil leaks and oil pressure problems, fuel pump and so on. I always dreamed of owning a volvo simply because they are great looking cars and are safe as well, but after owning an s80 i think i wont be owning one ever again. These cars are extremely oil thirsty and constantly need brakes and rotors. I feel very disappointed with Volvo. I feel so relieved now that i sold my volvo, I used to be scared to even drive the car because every time i would drive it i felt like it was going to leave me on the side of the road. Avoid Volvo at all costs! I've owned nissans all my life and every single one of them made it past the 200k mark without major probems, I'm exited to know that i will be going back with NISSAN.

Volvo You Rock
By Bishop

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased a s80 2001 with 152,000 miles on it. This was the best buy of my life being a pre-owed car. Thanks Volvo

Volvo for Life.
By alansquier

2001 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan (2.9L 6cyl 4A)

Let me first remind you that you get what you pay for. I bought my s80 with 150k. It now has 175k. I use synthetic oil and have it's services performed by a certified Volvo mechanic. Aside from common repairs (tie rods, tires, break pads), the most costly repair was an engine coil spring, which cost me $550. I purchased this car for three reasons; safety, comfort, and style. It has exceeded my expectations with reliability and performance as well. This is my second Volvo (my first being a 240dl). Guess what my next car is going to be.

Seats, handling.