Used 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

No longer status
By David

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Guys don't buy any VW. I had two (jetta '16 and this junk). A few days ago I was lucky to trade it for Mitsubishi. I don't know where to start... These cars are good for 20-30,000 miles only. Last German engineer died in 1982 and VW brand is dead.

Hmmm
By Richard Wagoner

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Great car for the money

After 131K Miles Still No Major Problems
By Kevin Lee

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car is not an economy car but very versatile. Fun to drive. Decent horse power. Very reliable (no major repairs needed after 131K miles besides normal wear and tears).

VW Golf after eight years & 110K
By Craig m

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This body style is now called the Golf, but a decade ago it was called a Rabbit. I liked the car, and it put up with a lot of careless use. I use my cars for short hops, pickup truck-like hauling, and 2000 mile cross-country trips. I do NOT baby them, and the Rabbit took it all like a champ. Buyers should be cautious to make sure they are happy with the fit of the driver's seat with respect to the controls, because I experienced a tendency to find myself feeling off-center on long trips. That is, I didn't feel I was sitting directly in line with the middle of the steering wheel. I think that was because of a combination of leg length and the rather tight console tunnel placement. This is designed as an inexpensive VW, so don't expect the best of anything - but I am sure that today's Golf offers some improvements over the rudimentary radio/CD player the Rabbit came with. The big attraction back then was the Electronic Stability package, which VW was the first to offer at this price point - and that worked great! If you are a believer in dealer servicing, be prepared for high routine maintenance costs, and be aware you cannot even change the air filter on this car yourself. My particular car had a few gremlins in it: the cruise control would sometimes not come on unless I re-booted the car...and I was never sure whether my interval wipers were stopping because the German engineers wanted them to, or because a gremlin wanted them to. (It didn't make much sense to me that I didn't need a clear windshield if I was stopped at a traffic light, but they quit working nonetheless.) I considered these all to be minor annoyances, though. The plastic frame that supports the radiators, headlights and sheet metal at the front end of the car can be broken in very minor collisions or road debris encounters. That's an expensive fix, and constitutes a real design flaw. But I suppose other cars of this type have similar drawbacks. The hatchback would admit an insane amount of cargo, and the car handled great in deep snow as well as deep water and misty-slick pavement. No engine issues at all. Tranny required work after 105K of hard use.

Excellent Car
By brian1121

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new when I was 16, for just under $16,000 and haven't looked back since. It's pushing 7 years and over 100,000 miles now and no problems at all. Changing the oil every 10k miles and changing brakes as needed I'm sure helped the quality remain top-notch. Quick enough for getting around town along with decent fuel economy, however I wish the mpg were a little better.

Interior is really top-notch for the price. Compared to Honda, Toyota, even Subaru, the interior is WAY nicer and seems like a notch or two above the competition. The 177lbs of torque are nice too, you can really feel it in the upper rpms. Lots of room in the back seat, too. I'm 6'1 and fit in the back seats comfortably. However, I do recommend the 4 door over the 2. Clutch is really nice too, without feeling overly assisted like the Golf 6 does.

Fuel economy. The new Tiguans are getting 32 on the highway and my rabbit is pushing 30 if I've got the wind at my back. Not a dealbreaker, but it definitely could be better.