Used 2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Just the Facts
By Descartes

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

On July 10, 2006, I took my 2001 Volkswagon Passat wagon to the dealer for a safety recall replacement of of an item related to the right rear wheel. I had called one week earlier to make an appointment, however after showing up, they said that they did not have the part. Today (8/3/06), the same thing happened again! I had even called the day before to confirm that the part was in and that they could do the replacement! Other problems include: 1) a drive train axle broke 18 months after the purchase, 2) none of the cup holders work (they broke off or are stuck closed) and 3) I had to glue the glove compartment shut after months of trying to fix it.

None

See above.

Practical but Troublesome
By ShrinerMonkey

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Passat's excellent driving dynamics and a premium cabin cannot make up for its horrible reliability and incredibly poor dealer service. Even with regular maintenance which is extremely expensive because of synthetic and proprietary fluid requirements and expensive parts, this car has still had numerous part failures in only 60,000 pampered miles of driving. I love European cars but they are too expensive to own.

I like the spacious cabin, linear steering, insanely upgradable and eager 1.8T engine, comfortable controled ride, interior materials and fit finish, and German styling.

Improve the reliability, have less finiky fuel and oil requirements, make it easier to fold down the rear seats, and improve its fuel efficiency. It would be nice of VW offered a factory sport suspension because the stock suspension is too soft and the shocks wear out quickly.

Service to Death!
By Marj

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon New GLS 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Let me start by saying I love my Passat, but my husband hates it (he's a loyal Toyota fan). I dig the performance drive. I can overlook little things, but the number of times I have taken this car to the shop is insane! Repairs range between $300 and $1,500 each, even the little things. I never use anything but synthetic for oil changes, which are $50. Last week the power door lock on the driver's door stopped working, its a $400 repair. I also need tie rods and an alignment. I am considering ditching this fun to drive wagon for a vanilla vehicle. Can VW say low maintenance?

Leather heated seats, heated mirrors, great sterio, moonroof and the performance feel.

Plastic and soft touch items, floormat quality, needs extendable sun visors (for short folks), engine hesitation/lag and cost of repairs. Newer models have real cup holders!

why poor value?
By batcycle

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

This is the most reliable car I have ever had. It has all the bells and whistles and then some (besides the lack of a cup holder), great comfort, great gas mileage (30+mpg), and now 63000 miles and counting. Why is it not retaining its value when it is so well rated?

auto-up/down of windows tilting exterior mirror when in reverse

cup holders garage door opener (which exists in new models) Find a way to keep the value!!

Roomy & fun!
By Deutschmobilers

2001 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLS V6 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The wagon replaced an Audi A4, to
better lug around 2 kids & their
hockey gear. We gave up a scant
amount of interior luxury, and an
imperceptible amount of performance,
for more room & lots of fun. The
engine burned a bit of oil
irregularly, for which we got
the "measure it again" run-around, and
the electrical system needed tweaking,
but it was a minor nuisance overall.
This car went to 65000 miles in 2.5
years, and we traded it in for the
2004 model.

The ride, the pick-up, the handling.

Better controls for lumbar support. Better windshield wipers and, yes, we are American, better cup holders! Also, seat controls that don't always end up hooking my briefcase strap around them! What a pain...